Why become a member? ×

My gig at Newcastle Metro Radio Arena - updated with pics, and video etc...

wateroftyne

Oh, I forgot to mention - The Script are in the Arena today, and needed the hall to be clear by 2am this morning.

Our gig finished at 11pm, giving the crew - who'd basically worked non-stop all weekend - about three hours to strike the hall.

Three hours to get all that out, including the backstage village and the huge amounts of kit you can't see in the photos.

And they managed it. Those lads and lasses are total legends.

• Like 1

Can I add my voice to the chorus of praise and thanks for this wonderful insight into what goes into a huge gig like this. I could feel the excitement and joy you experienced coming through your posts. Oh, and from one photog to another, your shots were outstanding.

Fantastic playing with the legendary Trevor Horn. He's done just about everything from vocals, bass, songwriting, production, management. I saw him with YES many years ago and was totally taken aback how well he did and how good a singer / bassist he is live.

And that song is an absolute classic. Think everyone recognises it even to this day.

Dave

On 2/19/2018 at 11:04, wateroftyne said:

• TKS S212 cab (best cab ever) > Mic'd

Which mic? Where? Bleed through vocal mics?

Looks like your signal chain is hitting a Klark Teknik DI which would be going straight to the desk, meaning your rig is for your ears only, not the audience or recording? Not that it really matters as the stems will be processed within an inch of their life before they get anywhere near the audio track on a DVD.

Cool looking gig though - I do love a good LED screen - some serious money on display there... and some serious power requirements too!

Looks like you had a great time - certainly one to tell the grand kids about one day! :P

It was good to hear Joe McElderry - I think people write him off because of his X Factor links. That lad can proper sing.

Anyway, seems like you did a top job.

29 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Which mic? Where? Bleed through vocal mics?

The mic that was set up after the photo was taken :-D

Looks like your signal chain is hitting a Klark Teknik DI which would be going straight to the desk, meaning your rig is for your ears only, not the audience or recording? Not that it really matters as the stems will be processed within an inch of their life before they get anywhere near the audio track on a DVD.

Both DI & mic, giving options for FOH and DVD mix. Nowt unusual there.

The DVD mix is being done a a great local studio. The engineer is fantastic, which is just as well, as doing a mix (and cut, for that matter) of this show is going to be a herculean task.

Cool looking gig though - I do love a good LED screen - some serious money on display there... and some serious power requirements too!

Looks like you had a great time - certainly one to tell the grand kids about one day! :P

It was good to hear Joe McElderry - I think people write him off because of his X Factor links. That lad can proper sing.

Anyway, seems like you did a top job.

Thank you. Arenas are pretty dull places, so the producers pulled out all the stops to make it a bit of a cut above. There were a lot of raised eyebrows when it was announced that the show was moving from the City Hall, but it's fair to say it's been a huge success.

And yes, Joe is an astonishing singer. he also sang 'Time to Say Goodbye' to a track, and took the roof off. Marvellous.

Edited by wateroftyne

10 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

The mic that was set up after the photo was taken :-D

Shall watch out for the mic on the DVD then ;) Seems a little odd having a stage setup and having a mic come in as an after thought.

I'd like to mix a full show - probably the sort of thing I'd like to do only once because given the time it takes me to mix up a single track and be satisfied with it, I'd wager it would take what would feel like a life time to do a whole show. Herculean task - as you state.

The lighting looks to be pretty good to be fair - it takes a lot of lights to light a barn - I don't know the budget of this show - but it looks to have done alright on that front.

8 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Shall watch out for the mic on the DVD then ;) Seems a little odd having a stage setup and having a mic come in as an after thought.

I'd like to mix a full show - probably the sort of thing I'd like to do only once because given the time it takes me to mix up a single track and be satisfied with it, I'd wager it would take what would feel like a life time to do a whole show. Herculean task - as you state.

The lighting looks to be pretty good to be fair - it takes a lot of lights to light a barn - I don't know the budget of this show - but it looks to have done alright on that front.

See blurry pic for 'after' :-)

As far as the DVD mix goes,  it's being edited from two shows, each over 3.5 hours long. I don't know how many channels were on the go, but there were two SD7's running in FOH - one for music, one for everything else. My head hurts thinking about it.

The lighting was awesome - Shaun is one of the best in the biz... as are Nitelites in general. We're very lucky to have them up here.

Untitled-2.png

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

See blurry pic for 'after' :-)

As far as the DVD mix goes,  it's being edited from two shows, each over 3.5 hours long. I don't know how many channels were on the go, but there were two SD7's running in FOH - one for music, one for everything else. My head hurts thinking about it.

The lighting was awesome - Shaun is one of the best in the biz... as are Nitelites in general. We're very lucky to have them up here.

Untitled-2.png

OK - so your signal chain description is still missing the DI bit :P - would be interesting to know what they have used to mic the bass cab though. I always find that there is not a great mic that captures the sound of a cab well... - to be honest, you aren't going to be getting the cab sound anyway, you are at best going to get the cone. But that's a completely different conversation.

SD7s are a nice choice - presumably they were recording over MADI or DANTE. Probably straight to a laptop or Joeco or something like that. Would actually be very interested in that aspect of the production. Any seperate monitor mixer? Or was that directly off the FoH?