Why become a member? ×

My gig at Newcastle Metro Radio Arena - updated with pics, and video etc...

wateroftyne

I'm in the house band for the two Sunday for Sammy shows next weekend.

I can't give too much away 'cos the line-up is under wraps, but with 5,000 people at each show, it's going to be fun.

I'll take some pics and that, and try not to make any mistakes.

Disclaimer: I fully acknowledge this is a 'boast post'. Apologies.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Good luck WoT!  My mam and dad try to go to that every time it is on, I think they got tickets for it for Christmas or something, I really must listen more when I call home....

I've not lived up there for 22 years now, would love to see one myself.

Mega jealous bonny lad :D

• Like 1

Good one. Enjoy.

I'd be interested to know what the Arena sounds like from on the stage compared to the usually poor sound from in the audience.

You're certainly busy - I haven't managed to gig since September. Problems of being in a band where everyone else is in another band - except me!

First rehearsal today - six hours' worth. It was loads of fun.

The show's being shot for DVD, so everything has to be spot-on. We've got a week in the rehearsal hall, so we'll have the monitor mixes pretty much there by the weekend, so hopefully the check in the arena will mostly be tweaking stuff.

The band is great.. the drummer's from Lindisfarne, the keyboard player's from Dire Straits, the other keyboard player and sax player are from The 1975's live band, the guitarist was a touring member of The Arctic Monkeys, and one of our vocalists sang on 'I Would Do Anything For Love' with Meat Loaf.

And then there's me. I daren't pinch myself.

Loads of pics here: https://www.sundayforsammy.org/sunday-for-sammy-2018-access-all-areas

• Like 7

That's rehearsal day 2 over with. A long one, but we got loads done with the brass section and vocals, and a couple of special guests.

The set list is eclectic to say the least.

Here's some day #2 photos. I'm not in any of them, 'cos I took them...

https://www.sundayforsammy.org/sunday-for-sammy-2018-access-all-areas/blog/band-rehearsals-day-two

Update... here's some pics from yesterday.

It was a good day - you could tell we were all starting to relax a bit more. All the tunes were recorded so the lampies can work out the cues and visuals.

Today felt a bit different - it was a shorter day, but a bit more intense as we (and mainly the MD) started the very necessary process of nitpicking.

We've got tomorrow daytime off - the gear is being taken to the Arena for the setup. We'll get time to do some checks tomorrow night, and hopefully run through some songs with vocalists we haven't hooked up with yet.

More of the same on Saturday.. a couple of the main stars won't be around 'till Sunday - the day of the gig. So lots of waiting around and last-minute run-throughs.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

This is a fascinating insight into what makes a super-tight live band. I read somewhere that McCartney would rehearse for about a month, and he can (and does) choose some of the best musicians in the world. I'm sure you're sounding fantastic already ,when the adrenaline hits on the night it will be amazing.

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

This is a fascinating insight into what makes a super-tight live band. I read somewhere that McCartney would rehearse for about a month, and he can (and does) choose some of the best musicians in the world. I'm sure you're sounding fantastic already ,when the adrenaline hits on the night it will be amazing.

Thanks, and here's hoping!

The trickiest part of this is that we're rehearsing the tunes generally without the vocalists being present. We just need to be as tight as we can and move with them where possible... especially as it's all being filmed & recorded. Thankfully our MD is as sharp as a tack - I've got massive respect for the job he's done.

Another thing which may - or may not - surprise people is that this isn't a reading gig. The brass guys have been given parts by their leader, but that's it. No-one has dots.