Why become a member? ×

HB PB-50 Modded! - *Version 3.0*

discreet

On 08/02/2018 at 15:05, discreet said:

It depends on how much work you want to put in. The biggest improvement you can make to a stock PB-50 is to put some decent flats on it. Makes a world of difference. But more generally, the PB-50 body is sound and the neck is incredible. The neck is worth the price of a PB-50 on its own, IMHO. But as said above, it IS quite chunky even though it's 42mm at the nut. So you have to be a P-Bass fan, really. Jazz-types probably wouldn't like it.

As far as being a 'better' bass than the Squier? I'm not sure. Logically I'd buy the Squier as it would hold its value if you wanted to move it on - and no fettling required!

Hi There,

Really great project you did on this Harley, I have just got one second hand and intend to do some work on it. Just a few questions if you don't mind, as its a photo flame finish is it necessary to cut back on the finish prior to spraying it or would a good primer suffice. I noticed that you have given the neck a vintage look on the finish, how did you achieve that.

Really looking forward to the challenge ahead, oh and the Herrick pickups sound great by the way, good choice.

Brian 

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2018 at 11:10, discreet said:
On 29/04/2018 at 10:26, BrunoBass said:

Did you sand back the satin finish on the headstock, heel and fretboard before applying the amber nitro or just apply the nitro straight over the top? 

Did you clear coat it or just leave it as is? 

Just a light going-over with a Scotchbrite pad first. No clear coat for rapid wear and a vintage look.

Front of headstock sanded after shaping to remove original decal.

@briansbrew

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,  great modding examples!

My HB one seems to be a "bit" different... more "heavy relic style". 
The original bass was sunburst and brand new...

Here some features:

All hardware aged
Neck 39mmm at nut ( I made it more slim) & waxed
Bone nut

Headstock with personal logo
Body through bridge + additional screws for better body/bridge connection.
Brass saddles with larger diameter
Additional neck plate (6 screw connection)
Additional shaping
MM- Pickup + mm-style preamp
passive & active mode for both pickups
Tele-style Control platewith Sandberg knobs (slightly smaller than usual JB-Knobs) 

Have fun complaining my "art-work"  😂

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5579.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well, honestly...I did not really compare the sound up to now. The front PU has the original HB-sound which is not bad. I have to compare the MM-sound with my 2005 Stingray. Interesting are the in-between sounds ( both and /or the mm splitted) . The seam to be JB-like. Really great is the sustain which comes from neck joint and bridge.

Regarding paintwork/ Aging: The hardest job was getting off the Chinese plastic primer coating. Very hard and  very thick! A really hard job to get it off...
I'm satisfied with the result... and... it feels really woody and word.... as if  you used it since decades! 😉. And I love the slim but thick neck.

Greetings from Bavaria..

By the way: Another aging project of mine regarding a Fender combo amp will be documented here: https://pin.it/6ls4Lls

• 2 weeks later...

Having decided to abort my FenderBird project I'm looking at HB PB-50 as a donor for a combo 51'P Pup plus a MM  Pup project.

Could anyone provide some guidance on the differences between the Basswood and Lime wood bodies currently offered? I fancy the red one but it says it's "Lime wood".

Any idea of weight difference , tone, hardness?

12 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Having decided to abort my FenderBird project I'm looking at HB PB-50 as a donor for a combo 51'P Pup plus a MM  Pup project.

Could anyone provide some guidance on the differences between the Basswood and Lime wood bodies currently offered? I fancy the red one but it says it's "Lime wood".

Any idea of weight difference , tone, hardness?

With Harley Bentons both have the same materials, it was just a translation glitch.

If you view the Thomann site in English,burst PB-50's are basswood/reds are LInden. View the site in German and the bursts are Linden/reds are basswood 😀

American Basswood is soft and light, European Lime/Linden is harder and heavier.

Asia plays host to plenty of local Lime trees so I doubt either American or European wood is being used.

If I find the janka for "Tilia Chinenis" I'll sick it on here 🙂

• Like 1

On 04/06/2020 at 10:30, Harry K said:

Well, honestly...I did not really compare the sound up to now. The front PU has the original HB-sound which is not bad. I have to compare the MM-sound with my 2005 Stingray. Interesting are the in-between sounds ( both and /or the mm splitted) . The seam to be JB-like. Really great is the sustain which comes from neck joint and bridge.

Regarding paintwork/ Aging: The hardest job was getting off the Chinese plastic primer coating. Very hard and  very thick! A really hard job to get it off...
I'm satisfied with the result... and... it feels really woody and word.... as if  you used it since decades! 😉. And I love the slim but thick neck.

Greetings from Bavaria..

By the way: Another aging project of mine regarding a Fender combo amp will be documented here: https://pin.it/6ls4Lls

Nice. What are the controls?

On 04/06/2020 at 09:14, Harry K said:

Hi folks,  great modding examples!

My HB one seems to be a "bit" different... more "heavy relic style". 
The original bass was sunburst and brand new...

Here some features:

All hardware aged
Neck 39mmm at nut ( I made it more slim) & waxed
Bone nut

Headstock with personal logo
Body through bridge + additional screws for better body/bridge connection.
Brass saddles with larger diameter
Additional neck plate (6 screw connection)
Additional shaping
MM- Pickup + mm-style preamp
passive & active mode for both pickups
Tele-style Control platewith Sandberg knobs (slightly smaller than usual JB-Knobs) 

Have fun complaining my "art-work"  😂

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5579.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

Ich liebe das total
I totally f ucking love it.

This is mine - I’ve not done a relic before 

2C3ECBC6-BB9E-448F-9C5E-B5ACD8249C76.png

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/06/2020 at 18:51, CameronJ said:

Nice. What are the controls?

Hi CameronJ,

regarding controls:
- at the end side it has bass, treble + vol (active preamp diy of the old MM-preamp with the old chip)

- at the front end vol and tone passive mode

1 switch for active/ passive channel

1 switch for pickup selection

1 switch for Humbucker/single coil mode of MM-pickup

Basically too many possibilities .... 

I use 3 settings: Pbass passive, mm-Aktive and Pbass with MM parallel active.

• Like 2