Why become a member? ×

HB PB-50 Modded! - *Version 3.0*

discreet

10 minutes ago, Grangur said:

The body on these is basswood, of course. Are they really light weight? Just wondering, as some lightweight bodies can leave the necks a bit heavy by comparison.

No, they're not lightweight. Coming from my 7-1/2lb Jazz bitsa this PB seems like a boat anchor, but the total weight is just under 9lbs - so not ridiculous. There's no neck dive brought on by a light body, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1

Nice job, I see you have a  Herrick pickup, I have the alnico version on mine and found it quite 'bassy' so  changed the stock HB capacitor to a 0.2 from Monstertone along with a treble bleed kit too. I stopped at the new capacitor however, as it gave the highs quite a lift. I also got a lightly used set of La Bella Deep Talkin flats and prefer them to the Fender flats on my real Telebass.

My HB weighs in at 9.47lbs,  and here's a picture of mine:D

P1040675.thumb.JPG.220b2628b16d8eaaa08c3e60b9fe9cc8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Always great to see a PB-50 post :) That's a particularly fine job you've done Mark.The whole thing looks bang on.

Still one of my favourite basses though I'd like to try the Squier effort,just so I can experience the pine "tonewood" :D Not a slur as I'don't subscribe to the tonewood idea. Regarding the weight of PB-50s none of the 3 I've owned weighed more than 9.5lb

• Thanks 1

Just recorded a quick noodle...sounds a lot like a P Bass! ;) And loving the neo pickup, it has a little growl when pushed! I like the Fender flats too, but I can't help but think I'd prefer La Bellas. Only one way to find out, I suppose...

Listen loud with headphones, decent monitors, yadda yadda.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, discreet said:

Just recorded a quick noodle...sounds a lot like a P Bass! ;) And loving the neo pickup, it has a little growl when pushed! I like the Fender flats too, but I can't help but think I'd prefer La Bellas. Only one way to find out, I suppose...

That sounds really very good!!

Si

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, discreet said:

That sounds - and looks - awesome! 

Thanks, I've now got a form of GAS I wasn't expecting...xD

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Great stuff! Thinking of getting my band name in Fender type font, where did you get that? 

I got mine from Rothko & Frost - https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/

The decals are pretty delicate to apply ,and I  managed  to make a bit of a mess of the serial number, but I do like them - good luck . Rothko & Frost were very helpful in providing advice - I also got the neck tint sprays from them & they helped me out ( again) when I made a bit of an derrière at my first attempt at spraying - I went a bit heavy handed & had to do a bit of a rub down.

Cheers

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Groove Harder said:

Just a question out of curiosity. Would the pickguard from a Classic Vibe be compatible with the PB-50? Don't have any of the basses but just curious.

Doubt it very much. I have a couple of 50s guards from Fender-shaped basses and they don't fit a PB-50. I just paint the stock guard.