Why become a member? ×

Warwick Custom Shop, anyone had experiance with ordering?

binky_bass

Morning all,

I'm debating placing and order with Warwick's Custom Shop, has anyone on here ordered a bass directly though Warwick's custom shop? I've had a bit of experiance with Warwick and they always seem very helpful and quick to respond, just interested to know if anyone has had a bass made for them through their custom shop and how they felt the process went. Feel free to share a picture of the bass you ordered too! :)

If it's of interest my order would be for a 7 string Single Cut Thumb with a few extra bells and whistles and some quite fancy exotic woods (got a small handful in mind!).

Ta, Russ.

Back when I had a lot of disposable cash, and the StarBass II have just come out I tried to get Warwick to build me a custom version. I filled in all the details on their custom enquiry form on the web site and waited...

Nothing.

So I had another go, and waited...

Nothing again.

So I had yet another go...

And still no reply from Warwick.

Eventually I was able to get a MiK StarBass from Thomann when they were EoL'ing them, and at a much cheaper price than my Custom version from Warwick would have been. 

I've not had any issues with contact, had a nice back and forth with Hans P Wilfer, always seems to respond within a few hours. 

The quote came back from their build master at the custom shop... I died a little when I read the number...

€16,093. (£15,000ish)

Either I need to sell the vaste majority of my collection (which would of been the idea) or my requested spec needs a re-think! 

It would be a truly outstanding and totally unique instrument if built... 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ead said:

Have you tried ACG?  Alan will build you a nice single cut.

I already have a 9 string ACG, to be honest I don't it's possible to build a better ACG than the one I have so I'm covered on the ACG front! 

It is indeed very specifically a Warwick SC7 I want... :)

I've had (pie in the sky) quotes through from Warwick in the past, and they seem pretty good to deal with and I've never heard any horror stories, it's just the prices that I can't get past!
Warwick are completely flexible now on what they will build, which would make one of my dream basses finally possible (a 32" Dolphin 6 string with a Ziracote top), but their prices have more than doubled in recent years!

I have to say, I would second EAD's suggestion of an ACG, even though you already have one, just think how many ACG's you could buy for £15,000! I know where my money would go ;)

Sorry if that wasn't really any help...

Eude

4 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

At the moment I can't justify a £15,000 outlay, but there is no other bass that I have my sights on than this particular custom SC7. There just isn't a suitable alternative to what I want!

Fair enough dude.

If I won the lottery, I'd have that custom Dolphin 6, I'd imagine it would cost something similar to your SC7!

In terms of contact I wanted to know which jack socket of the two barrel types available was right for my streamer (setting aside the fact that this type of socket isn’t very reliable long-term!). I emailed their support address, got a link to the right one the same day, ordered it from Germany and got it in 3 days. Not a custom build but not bad service.

One other nugget I noticed in their site is a PDF with a cost of all their overhaul and repair charges. Not cheap but quite cool that you can send your Warwick back to the manufacturer and have them re-fret, refinish or tart up your bass!

Edited by FDC484950