Why become a member? ×

Bit Crushers

radiophonic

I've been on a massive Nerve / John Davis tip recently and consequently have been thinking about bit-crushers and LPFs. I think what I'm after is a Frantabit, but these don't seem to be readily available (even Iron Ether don't appear to have any at present). I know Earthquaker make some crazy stuff, but I'm not convinced that the Bit Commander does quite the same things as the Frantabit.  I did wonder about the little Mooer as a 'toe in the water' but I'm not sold on the sound. What other realistic (i.e. available) alternatives are there? Expression pedal control would be a definite plus

I've been on exactly the same tip - still am. The Moeer is a great foot in the door but it's very noisy with is a shame. The Malekko bitcrusher is excellent and has an expression pedal input too. 

Further down this forum there's a bigger extended post on. bitcrushers -  a quick search should throw it up. Somewhere in there is a quick recording I did with the Moeer.

Enjoy the ride! :)

I think the LoFi machine sounds really good on bass, definitely worth a try. I actually find the sound cleaner and more usable than the Frantabit (I use a noisegate with it to cut out noise when I'm not playing). Although the Frantabit does have way more options.

The Bit Comander I thought was not great on bass, the sound is quite messy. But I've found that with other Earthquaker pedals too, don't track bass amazingly in my opinion.

This thing looks good though, but not tried it yet: https://www.thomann.de/gb/malekko_scrutator.htm?sid=bd908bcba1861c1f43ce9243948d6866

Anyone ever used a WMD geiger counter? 

I’ve had a Malekko Scrutator for a while and it is frankly excellent. It gives you bit crushing and sample rate reduction (I mostly use it for sample rate reduction) and you can adjust the filter and Q points too. The expression input can be assigned to control almost any of the parameters on the front panel of the pedal. It’s awesome but I’m actually considering selling it - call me crazy :/

2 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I’ve had a Malekko Scrutator for a while and it is frankly excellent. It gives you bit crushing and sample rate reduction (I mostly use it for sample rate reduction) and you can adjust the filter and Q points too. The expression input can be assigned to control almost any of the parameters on the front panel of the pedal. It’s awesome but I’m actually considering selling it - call me crazy :/

Let me know if you do decide to sell it, I'm thinking about ordering one.

8 hours ago, elephantgrey said:

I have the mooer and the Frantabit, and they aren't even in the same league. The Frantabit just sounds so much better (imo YMMV etc). 

Is Cameron paying you commission ahead of his imminent sale listing? :D

ive been really interested in the Catalinbread Heliotrope,since seeing It on a basschatters board. it seems to "emulate" bit crushing/sample rate as it's analogue. it also claims to be part fuzz/octave up and ring modulator, it sounds wild :) not available anymore i think and expensive!

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What's a good example of bit crushers being used in a live set?

Search YouTube for Janek Gwizdala (who I believe was in the above band "Nerve" at some point?).  I'm not a fan of his music as such but he's clearly a very accomplished player and a big user of the aforementioned Bugbrand unit and the Iron Ether Frantabit, usually in conjunction with one of his large collection of Boss OC-2s (amongst other things).

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

Cheers. It seems pretty limited (thus far) to a particular 'house' style? But fair do's - if it gives a particular bassist his sound, then all power to him.

For me, if we do end up having a track or two like the above in the set I'd probably do it with the tone rolled off and cleaner 'subby' bass sound on a P-bass.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers. It seems pretty limited (thus far) to a particular 'house' style? But fair do's - if it gives a particular bassist his sound, then all power to him.

tbf that clip probably isn't a fair representation of his normal playing style.  It's just the one I could find with the most bit-crusher usage in it!  He does use it in a lot of the "ambient" tracks he used to soundtrack his vlogs, but I'm struggling to find a decent example (probably because people keep making me do some work!). 

Crushers are not for everyone, that's for sure, but they're far from a one-trick pony.

Janek's style isn't well represented there. He's a Jazz musician first and foremost (as are JoJo and John Davis). Nerve is just one outlet they've both been involved in. He uses the Frantabit with a TC Nova Repeater and the octave up on Boss PS5 to create something called 'the baby elephant sound' there's a how-to on youtube. It's one of his signature solo sounds. He's big into looping too in his solo sets. There's quite a lot of footage on the net due to him doing a Vlog a day for about a year.  

John Davis is known as a double bass player in addition to his production work.

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 2

...and now I have a Malekko Scrutator. Definitely not a one trick pony! The ability to map the expression pedal to the filter, bit rate and Q, in any combination is a real game changer in a compact pedal. The initial temptation is to really slam the parameters and do massive filter sweeps with the expression pedal, but that will wear off I'm sure. Theres definitely Wah/Envelope tones in here.  I can't fit my Rat on the board anymore though.

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2018 at 11:13, lee650 said:

ive been really interested in the Catalinbread Heliotrope,since seeing It on a basschatters board. it seems to "emulate" bit crushing/sample rate as it's analogue. it also claims to be part fuzz/octave up and ring modulator, it sounds wild :) not available anymore i think and expensive!

I don’t suppose that was my one was it?  

I’ve recently been thinking of shifting it where I’m not using it (and don’t really have a use for it) and going back to the Mooer Lo-Fi Machine just so I’ve still got something should I ever need it.