Why become a member? ×

Can anyone here do this?

Barking Spiders

41 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

But that’s the rub; Larry Graham invented his style of playing to accompany his Mum at church meetings where there was no drummer. Basic thumb and pop is funky and sounds great. The issue with his style/technique is that it is so busy it almost doesn’t need anyone else. Add a drummer, guitarist and keyboard player and there will be no room for (as Prince put it) the most important member of the band - silence.

You're probably right though if the speed was slowed down to give a bit of swing then it could work. I'm no fan of jazz fusion or solo instrumentation  but I think there's room for double thumbing in a group context

57 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

But that’s the rub; Larry Graham invented his style of playing to accompany his Mum at church meetings where there was no drummer. Basic thumb and pop is funky and sounds great. The issue with his style/technique is that it is so busy it almost doesn’t need anyone else. Add a drummer, guitarist and keyboard player and there will be no room for (as Prince put it) the most important member of the band - silence.

/\  This. +1.

Clearly took a lot of work to get to the stage where these guys are this fluent with technique. Personally I'd love to be able to play like this. Maybe not use it in a whole song but would make some great fills.

IMO anybody pushing the boundaries of playing needs to be acknowledged.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

While I'm here has anyone come across this fella  called Davey Pollitt  who goes under the name of cambridgebasslessons.  Just been checking out his guide to Mark King basslines. excellent stuff IMO

This is so well executed and very musical - thanks for posting.

5 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Clearly took a lot of work to get to the stage where these guys are this fluent with technique. Personally I'd love to be able to play like this. Maybe not use for it in a whole song but would make some great fills.

IMO anybody pushing the boundaries of playing needs to be acknowledged.

Fair enough, but why do we always equate playing faster, and using more notes with, "Pushing the boundaries"?  Surely there are more ways of pushing bass playing to new places than simply playing more notes!

"Double thumbing" is basically using the thumb like a plectrum, playing upstrokes as well as down. Like most stunt bass techniques, it's of no use in my particular musical biosphere, but I did learn the basics of it out of curiosity.

Got good enough to be able to do a stupid & messy-sounding solo bass rendition of the Captain Pugwash theme tune, then never bothered again.

And no - you're never going to hear that! :D

Years and years back when I had just started playing I had to miss a gig as I was out in the outer Hebrides, the band got some guy in to dep and we sit down to teach him the songs and he's all double thumb slapping. I was intimidated.

Then we got to a song where over a Cmaj chord I was playing a C# in the bass - and he just couldn't get it - he mentally couldn't understand why we would have chosen to play a "wrong" note. 

I suddenly wasn't intimidated 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fleabag said:

Mike  (  @urb on these forums ) was  doing something very similar years agoi in 2007, and later in this 2010  YT vid

Good call. Mike is a friend of mine and a phenomenal player... fairly sure there's nothing he can't play!

(I put this down to him having one of those bendy thumbs that Jaco had. And maybe something to do with a zillion hours of practice, or whatever).

• Like 2

On 08/02/2018 at 17:52, EssentialTension said:

I prefer this ...

Weird, I watched that Davey Pollitt video which was supposed to be 30 funk basslines yet there was zero funk actually present, this video is ten times shorter and the guy is on it all the way through.

Some people have a very strange definition of the F word!

Think the guy admits he can only use it very occasionally. Its just something he likes doing.

He sounds as though he has a lot more talent than this. 

I can do the very basics of it just for fun in house but don't have any practical use within any bands i play in.

12 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Weird, I watched that Davey Pollitt video which was supposed to be 30 funk basslines yet there was zero funk actually present, this video is ten times shorter and the guy is on it all the way through.

Some people have a very strange definition of the F word!

Seen that VID before and was very impressed by himand how much control he has with his pick hand. 

I don't have the necessary culinary skill to produce Michelin star worthy snail porridge. With enough proper training and enough practice it's conceivable though that I could produce it to that standard eventually.

However the thought of eating snail porridge actually makes me feel a bit nauseous regardless of the amount of skill that making it would demonstrate so I don't think I'll bother. In fact I think the time would probably be much better spent getting the hang of cooking a wide variety of simpler but also more palatable and nutritionally balanced meals.

Bobby Vega on the other hand is awesome AND musical!

Edited by Painy