Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cab price hike

Cuzzie

26 minutes ago, stevie said:

The great thing about Basschat is that you can always find an expert on something.

Yes you can, can't you? :)

18 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

All BC experts are self appointed and are of questionable quality. 

I couldn't have put it better myself. :)

• Like 1

On 07/02/2018 at 08:44, Cuzzie said:

"......... our flagship UK manufacturer." ??

Hardly.  They make decent cabs, but I've had quality-control issues with all of mine.  It's a very small company working out of quite a small wood workshop in a shared enterprise business facility near to Brighton Railway station.  A niche, boutique manufacturer.  Their published financial numbers are tidy but tiny.

Ashdown ARE our flagship manufacturer.  They dwarf Barefaced.

@Jenny_Innie OK, without getting into which is better, not all Ashdown products are made in the UK, do we still call it as UK flagship manufacturer?

Where do Hiwatt, Laney, Marshall sit then?

Aside from being the naval vessel carrying the admiral in a fleet flagship is normally reserved for the best product (or in this insert company) owned by an institution. Unless all the companies are owned by the UK I suppose then we cannot call any of them flagship, not even Ashdown.

Sound fair?

Would it have been better if I had just said a bloody good cab maker as a definition instead?

isnt Bass stuff niche and boutique anyway, but some stuff is maybe über niche?

Sure, we can carry on now with something that wasn’t put out there as a comparator 

@Jenny_Innie  "Ashdown ARE our flagship manufacturer.  They dwarf Barefaced... It's a very small company working out of quite a small wood workshop in a shared enterprise business facility near to Brighton Railway station.  A niche, boutique manufacturer.  Their published financial numbers are tidy but tiny."

You make a good point about the size of Barefaced. Interested that you think Ashdown rather than (say) Marshall are our flagship UK manufacturer (in terms of turnover and brand reputation). You may be right, but that does surprise me to hear.

4 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Surely flagship,is quality not quantity. You wouldn’t say Toyota or Nissan were flagship manufacturers, whereas Aston Martin or RR would spring to mind for that crown.

You'll probably find the reliability of the two Japanese brands you've quoted regularly beats that of the US/Kuwaiti/Italian and German owned (respectively) car companies you've mentioned.

But I think you meant Morgan right, the last British owned, British made car? More of a coastguard patrol than a flagship.

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You'll probably find the reliability of the two Japanese brands you've quoted regularly beats that of the US/Kuwaiti/Italian and German owned (respectively) car companies you've mentioned.

But I think you meant Morgan right, the last British owned, British made car? More of a coastguard patrol than a flagship.

I dont think the ownership is relevant personally, it’s where they are made that counts. Reliability neither, it’s about the pinnacle of engineering. A Micra will do more miles than an F1 McLaren before it breaks but you wouldn’t count the Micra as a flagship UK made car over something more exotic

Morgan, hmmmm, old cars for old people imho, more of a shroud than a flag. I have several classic bikes and cars and LOVE old technology, but I like it because it was evocative of an era and the best AT THE TIME. I wouldn’t want an Indian Enfield for the same reason I wouldn’t want a Morgan. Fireblade or AJS7R, but not a Harley for the same reason.

Edited by T-Bay

1 minute ago, stevie said:

I expect some Likes from the usual suspects.:drinks:

Lol - 'likes fishing': a whole new pastime on BC!

Well I have to agree with you that BF are the best at being lightweight. And probably also best at being transparent (aka neutral, tonally uncoloured, bland (?)...) 

We're also all now agreed, following earlier revelations and insights today, that they're now clearly market leader at mimicking the following colour scheme: 

Bile.jpg.0e6de64dcbae87f57765587830968e69.jpg

5 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I don't think the ownership is relevant personally, it’s where they are made that counts.

I don't completely agree with that: on that basis Fender Mexican Bass would be a flagship Mexican brand and Markbass Indonesian.

Your point is a relevant one, for sure. But I think a more accurate view would be that a company's 'situs' is where the HQ is based and where the key design and development is undertaken. So Warwick is still German despite shipping off production to China, and Markbass still Italian etc. (And yes Aston Martin still British, but Rolls Royce cars, hmmm...the Germans are pretty good at luxury cars right and that one's owned by BMW).

13 hours ago, la bam said:

Having bought one and used one and carried one upstairs to practice rooms and gigs i can honestly say they are worth much more than they used to cost anyway and a price hike wouldnt put me off buying another.

They certainly do punch above their weight. Great cabs and I'm happy to be a user for 3+ years.

I'm still using Super Twin #001, after many gigs it still looks exactly as it did when I collected it from BF in Brighton. It  even has all three original handles in perfect working order.

I'd rather use a black cab than red or yellow, the backline is there to be seen, not heard. Just like Victorian children!

Just realised that my fingers typed the complete opposite of what my brain was thinking! It should have read:  'heard and not seen, unlike Victorian children!'

Edited by FinnDave
original was complete nonsense!