Why become a member? ×

Audition last night

stewblack

So I've been learning some rather nice tunes for an audition and if I say so myself I absolutely smashed it. Fecked up in a couple of places but only another bass player would have noticed. Rather surprised they went on to audition anyone else if I'm honest, perhaps they want someone less modest and good looking.

It was at the grand old age of 54 my first ever audition, I've always either been asked or set up bands with mates in the past and I was strangely nervous as I drove over, which perhaps contributed to me messing up in a couple of places. Anyway, they were nice people and I'm hopeful I might get the call today. Fingers crossed

I did three auditions last year for the first time in about 15 years, I always find them a very surreal experience, I managed to get two out of the three gigs so I was pleased with that. Just remember they are musicians, making quick decisions is not what they are good at :D

Best of luck. 

Edited by JBP
  • Like 2

Just now, Yank said:

Just remember,  sometimes who they pick has nothing to do with who's the best player.  Good for you getting out there.  Good luck.

I know, I'm only being tongue in cheek. I have in fact no idea how many people they saw nor whether they liked me as a person, I really would like the gig because although they don't play that often not for a great deal of money I love the set list, liked the drummer and the singer has a belting voice.

2 minutes ago, JBP said:

I did three auditions last year for the first time in about 15 years, I always find them a very surreal experience, I managed to get two out of the three gigs so I was pleased with that. Just remember they are musicians, making quick decisions is not what they are good at :D

Best of luck. 

Thank you

Sounds like it might be a great project.

I have done a few auditions for different things over the last couple of years.  You will either know straight away or anytime within the next week.  Musicians are notoriously bad are getting back and being professional about it.  If they did, they would probably be more successful generally.  Don't keep checking your phone/email.  Keep yourself busy and what will be, will be.

Remember bass player are in short supply, good ones even more so.

Best of luck.

5 hours ago, JBP said:

Best of luck. 

Exactly, good bands are not always good at auditioning people.

I remember  completely nailing an audition and losing to a guy that cane to the audition unprepared, he didn't have reliable transportation either. He was a friend of the guitarist , he got the gig 

He had no experience and prooved hinself unreliable. He lasted 6 weeks and they fired him 

They still didn't want me.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Good luck with it. Hope you get the job ok.

I remember auditioning for a Celtic folk band. Not my usual kind of stuff at all and was fairly nervous going in. Band consisted of female singer, female violin, male guitarist, male drummer and if i remember right the guy running it played flute and wind instruments. They were auditiong 6 bass players. When i went in the 2 females literally told me the guy before me would be the perfect fit. Kind of put a damper on whole thing. Did my bit, no mistakes and was told week later that i hadn't got the job. That was my one and only failed audition in 40yrs playing. The positive in that was a year later they contacted me by email and said the guy had left and was i still interested. I reminded them what was said and quietly said no thanks.

Some auditions just go so well as long as you've done your homework. You usually know when its good and you get offered the job there and then. I like them. xD

I've had to say to enthusiastic bands to have a think about it for a week sometimes its because i might have doubts but i always like a few days to consider whether they suit me and its what i want. I've turned down quite a few for various reasons over past few yrs. Never used to say no at all and would just take any gig going. Now i'm older i'm a lot more fussy about who i play in bands with.

Auditions need to work both ways.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Interestingly the main thing they were worried about was me being in other bands, the things most in my favour were the drummer felt he and I clicked (I agree) and the shitty amp we used (provided by the rehearsal room) sounded horrible and I was the only one who tried to get a decent sound out of it. The others seemed not to notice or care. So what I take from this is: obviously be thorough and do your homework, but more importantly pay attention to any and every detail, you never know what might sway someone.

• Like 3