Why become a member? ×

Road worn jazz bass? Sounds too thin!!

djmac75

My primary bass used to be a late 80s G&L SB-1 (essentially a P bass) , and although I love the sound, the 44mm nut and the weight make it a difficult bass to play for 3 sets.  I picked up a RW Jazz a few years ago, and immediately felt the same as you described.  I bought a set of DiMarzios, and a heavier bridge, and although it improved the sound, it wasn't as good as a P bass in a band setting.  The RW didn't really work for me until I started from scratch with my EQ and started using either flats or half-round strings (I like Ken Smith strings).  I recently added a Dark Glass Vintage Ultra to add just a bit of growl, and now really like my sound in a band setting. 

I'll make the same statement everyone else has made though - a Jazz bass is not a P-Bass, and you are never going to have that sound unless you maybe throw some Precision pickups in a Jazz bass.  If you come from playing a P-bass to a J-bass, it is a very unsettling change.  I played a Rick for years, and I had a similar difficulty adjusting to the sound of my SB-1 at first.  So what I'm trying to say is you have to just decide if the bass sounds good in the mix as a bass, rather than comparing the sounds from where you stand to that of a P-bass.  The front mix might be better than you think.  For sure it will be different.

• 1 year later...

It really is hard to get on with a Jazz when the sound in your head is the Precision. BUT, a Road Worn Jazz is a great bass stock, so I would never change the pickups as they do the signature Jazz thing more than adequately. 

Having both pickups on full is quite an alien sound when coming from a P but the beauty of a J is when you start backing off the volume on one the other or both pickups. This is where the genius of it's design comes to light.

I also believe that the thinness of sound that is a common complaint is much better addressed at the amp than changing out the pickups. 

Just think of Led Zeppelin or Bob Marley and the Wailers. All recorded with Jazz basses and no one can complain that JPJ or Family Man had a thin tone. 

I'm a total P guy btw, but a J eq'd correctly is wonderful. 

• Like 5

My J setup is a 2003 MIM, Fender Custom Shop '60s pickups, D'Addario Chromes, and I always have the neck pickup backed off at least a tiny amount, so a number of the things already suggested in this thread added together. 

The stock bass I always found a bit underwhelming, but the Custom Shop pickups made a huge increase to the range and clarity.  The Chromes on top of that give a really rich sound to my ears - much better than the La Bellas I tried first (conversely I much prefer La Bellas on a P).

Both pickups on full does seem to reduce the richness of the sound a bit, but even the tiniest smidge off either one really brings the definition back.  Personally I find the neck pickup a bit too "plummy", if you see what I mean, but the bridge on full with the neck backed off a little is a pretty huge sound and in no way thin.

I think with the new pickups and a set of a more "modern" style of flats you've got a pretty good chance of getting a sound that'll please you.

• Like 1

When I had my RW Jazz the first time I used it at rehearsal, the rest of the band commented how weak it sounded compared to my other basses (which all have 2 pickups), and they were right. Pickups weren’t out of phase, it just had no balls, whatever you did with the volumes. I did briefly contemplate changing pickups but it confirmed my previous experiences that I don’t get on with the ergonomics of a Jazz so I just sold it.

Edited by 4000