Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette Value?

bassmansam

To throw my hat in the ring I would say £800 is overpriced... GAK tend to (again in my opinion) overprice all of their second hand stock. For comparision I just picked up a 2001 German made 6 string bolt on Thumb bass for £860, you would be best having a hunt on the second hand market where you are buying direct from the previous owner and not a shop as a shop will always take a 20% (give or take) cut so you are paying at least that much more. Negotiating with the actual seller is always a better option!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ZilchWoolham said:

Surely Warwick has to be one of the brands with the largest discrepancy between new and second hand prices. Why is that? Are there just too many of them around, or is it because of their admittedly rather confusing model hierarchy, or the inflation on German made basses, or something else entirely?  

I think one of the issues was they pumped out so many of them between 2000 and 2008 Ish.  If you look at classifieds, many are from this era and they really varied in quality, some great and some awful. I think the quantity and quality control effected prices a lot, and the brand as a whole too.  The rockbass range contributed to this too.  They have improved a lot and produce nowhere near as many basses out of German now, so QC I'm sure is better than ever.  Newer models don't tend to end up on the 2nd hand market much, and when they do they are still pretty expensive, or at least more in line with other brand depreciation. 

• Like 1

I'd go for the FNA out of those 2. The weight would clinch it for me. Also, on the Jazzman, you can select the pickups to be the same as the Corvette. 

That said, the pre-amp on my FNA isn't as good as those I've had on Corvettes. But it might just be mine.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Thanks I did spot that a few days ago but its passive unfortunately. I've decided to go for the GAK one I found. A bit pricey but professional set up and new strings worth £70. Also free next day delivery...Got it on finance for 6 months 0% APR which is more manageable at the moment.

If I had more time I'd wait it out and find a better deal but needed a 2nd bass urgently. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2018-02-07 at 15:21, Kev said:

I think one of the issues was they pumped out so many of them between 2000 and 2008 Ish.  If you look at classifieds, many are from this era and they really varied in quality, some great and some awful. I think the quantity and quality control effected prices a lot, and the brand as a whole too.  The rockbass range contributed to this too.  They have improved a lot and produce nowhere near as many basses out of German now, so QC I'm sure is better than ever.  Newer models don't tend to end up on the 2nd hand market much, and when they do they are still pretty expensive, or at least more in line with other brand depreciation. 

This makes a lot of sense! Does this mean there are a lot of German lemons floating around? Should one be wary when buying Warwicks from this period? 

Edited by ZilchWoolham

2 hours ago, samcrabtree00 said:

Thanks I did spot that a few days ago but its passive unfortunately. I've decided to go for the GAK one I found. A bit pricey but professional set up and new strings worth £70. Also free next day delivery...Got it on finance for 6 months 0% APR which is more manageable at the moment.

If I had more time I'd wait it out and find a better deal but needed a 2nd bass urgently. 🙂

Which was the GAK one, hopefully not the corvette?? 

11 minutes ago, ZilchWoolham said:

This makes a lot of sense! Does this mean there are a lot of German lemons floating around? Should one be wary when buying Warwicks from this period? 

There certainly are a few lemons, try before you buy as with any bass.  Then again, some awesome basses were built during this time. Basically, Warwick started taking more and more cost saving measures during the nineties, culminating in all basses being machine built instead of handmade, no brass, cheaper Ovangkol wood and general ergonomic changes that favoured mass production.  Modern day Warwick still has machines building the basses, but brass/wenge is back, as is the thinner neck profile and a general sense of quality. 

30 minutes ago, Grangur said:

I've owned about 7 Warwicks from the 2000s. They've all been really good.

I prefer 2000s to the new ones. I went to a store and tried 4-5 new Warwick Pros. I wouldn't favour any over any of my 2000 models.

Yeah there are certainly good ones, but with such increased production in those days its not too surprising QC struggled

Pro's are good basses, but of course not comparable with the equivalent top end models.  The current masterbuilt instruments are top, top notch.