Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette Value?

bassmansam

Hi all, 

GAK currently selling a pre owned Corvette Active with Bubinga body for £849.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/warwick-corvette-std-4-bubinga-active-2007-germany-pre-owned-/912197

Just wondered if this was a good price these days for this bass as I know Warwick prices have fluctuated a lot in the last decade. 

Thanks 

Edited by samcrabtree00

45 minutes ago, 40hz said:

That is quite overpriced. IME they tend to go for around 450-650.

I have no connection to this whatsoever but this is more like it.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/warwick-corvette-standard-4-string-bass-german-built-/1284145119

True, but that model is Swamp Ash Body not Bubinga. Also I think it might be passive not active electronics?

22 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Hmmm that one looks like Ash body also, potentially passive Pups. 

Is there much difference in the bubinga models and are they worth extra price?

9 minutes ago, samcrabtree00 said:

Hmmm that one looks like Ash body also, potentially passive Pups. 

Is there much difference in the bubinga models and are they worth extra price?

Bubinga bodied models more often than not, will be heavier. Tone wise that's a massive can of worms that you can find in numerous threads on this site! (FWIW I don't believe it would have any bearing at all).

I believe that the pickups in both models are passive, it's just an active pre-amp on the model you're looking at. I wouldn't worry too much, it'll still have spades of that Warwick sound even on a passive model.

Edited by 40hz
  • Thanks 1

So many different models you need to be aware of and all different values but you are right to point out active v passive (some folks might prefer passive but they originally sold a lot cheaper) and the body woods do affect tone to a degree but it's mainly preference.  Oh and be wary of Bubinga basses that are actually stained Ash misadvertised!  ;)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say it come down to wood preference look wise. I would say you can find the Bubinga model with the preamp at a better price. Only something to think about before you pull the trigger. Just a matter of scanning the second hand market. A fretless sold on BC for £510 a while back. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Thanks 1

Wunjo had a fiver in this config used up for just under £1K and it was in a right state - plenty of scuffs and almost unplayable. I recently picked up a high end neck thru Warwick for not a lot more than £1K so £800 for a bog standard bolt-on 4 sounds a bit much. The bubinga ones can weigh a ton, too, so make sure you try before you buy!

18 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Wunjo had a fiver in this config used up for just under £1K and it was in a right state - plenty of scuffs and almost unplayable. I recently picked up a high end neck thru Warwick for not a lot more than £1K so £800 for a bog standard bolt-on 4 sounds a bit much. The bubinga ones can weigh a ton, too, so make sure you try before you buy!

Ive got a streamer stage II which is pretty heavy so shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just after a second bass I can practice with and use as a backup. I've had a Corvette before but Ash body and heard bubinga has a much deeper tone... 

Corvette pricing has become a nightmare recently, what with "Rockbass" and "Pro" and all manner of others. It's frustrating to see prices of Rockbasses going up and catching up the German made basses. $$ Corvettes go for more than the normal ones; adding to the confusion.

I agree with much of the above. £850 is a bit high. I had a 5-string bubinga. That weighed just over 5Kg. It's not something I'd want to have hanging on me for 2 hours. I got £850 for mine when I sold it. 

12 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Corvette pricing has become a nightmare recently, what with "Rockbass" and "Pro" and all manner of others. It's frustrating to see prices of Rockbasses going up and catching up the German made basses. $$ Corvettes go for more than the normal ones; adding to the confusion.

I agree with much of the above. £850 is a bit high. I had a 5-string bubinga. That weighed just over 5Kg. It's not something I'd want to have hanging on me for 2 hours. I got £850 for mine when I sold it. 

Very true. Well they've reduced to £800 which includes a full set up and free delivery... 

44 minutes ago, samcrabtree00 said:

Ive got a streamer stage II which is pretty heavy so shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just after a second bass I can practice with and use as a backup. I've had a Corvette before but Ash body and heard bubinga has a much deeper tone... 

Oh, well then at least you’re used to the weight. I tried one once that must have been 12lbs...

I've just picked up a SS1 6 string for very reasonable money and it’s a peach - and only 4.5Kgs (I say only...) with perfect balance. I had a quick look on the Warwick site and a new one in this config is €100 short of €7K!!

Edited by FDC484950
Grammar!

15 minutes ago, samcrabtree00 said:

Lol yes the prices these days are insane for Warwicks from new. 

I brought my SSII (shop demo) for 1000 US Dollars about 10 years ago which was a pretty good deal at the time. Think they were £1500 in the UK from new then. 

Nah, SSII were never £1,500 in 2008, they were over £3k by that point.

£800 is V expensive for a standard Vette; for comparison Ill be shortly selling my 2010 LTD Bart equipped tigerwood topped $$ version for under £1k for a bass rrp around 3 times more...

Keep an eye out on eBay and the classifieds here, youlll get one for less or something much more high end for the same or a little more.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

Surely Warwick has to be one of the brands with the largest discrepancy between new and second hand prices. Why is that? Are there just too many of them around, or is it because of their admittedly rather confusing model hierarchy, or the inflation on German made basses, or something else entirely?  

8 hours ago, ZilchWoolham said:

Surely Warwick has to be one of the brands with the largest discrepancy between new and second hand prices. Why is that? Are there just too many of them around, or is it because of their admittedly rather confusing model hierarchy, or the inflation on German made basses, or something else entirely?  

I think a lot of it is down to the looks, Warwicks are very 'Marmite' and very un-traditional  looking. You either love em or hate them, and I think this limits the used market. I also think that the whole 'Rockbass' line has diluted the brand name even if the quality has remained.

I've missed out on two warwicks in my time, both £400.  One in a shop and one here!

An FNA jazzman from here, managed to get it for £400 but then it sold on ebay unexpectedly and the seller had to honour that. 

The one in a shop was a German neck-thru corvette that I had popped in and played almost daily while at uni.  Managed to save up the money to buy and it was gone on the morning I went to pick it up :(

Just wasn't meant to be I guess!