Why become a member? ×

Gig bag recommendations please.

ambient

I've been a fan of Mono gig bags for the last 5 or 6 years.

The prices now though are quite ridiculous.

Is there an alternative that's as good?

Someone recommended the Fusion Urban.

It'll actually be a guitar gig bag that I'm getting, for my new and very lovely Sei headless 6 string.

Whatever you chose, if you are going use it for carrying your bass any distance make sure that it is comfortable to wear when fully loaded. 

IME a recommendation from another person is not sufficient, you need to try it for yourself with your bass and any other items you need to carry in it. I have a Mono M80 case and while it's a great case from a protection PoV, for me to use walking any distance it is very uncomfortable. I'd never buy another gig bag without trying it on first.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Whatever you chose, if you are going use it for carrying your bass any distance make sure that it is comfortable to wear when fully loaded. 

IME a recommendation from another person is not sufficient, you need to try it for yourself with your bass and any other items you need to carry in it. I have a Mono M80 case and while it's a great case from a protection PoV, for me to use walking any distance it is very uncomfortable. I'd never buy another gig bag without trying it on first.

The problem I find with the Mono is the straps slide down. You start off walking and the instrument is the perfect height, after 10 minutes it’s banging on the back of your legs.

Mono gig bags are also over £200 now!

1 hour ago, ambient said:

The problem I find with the Mono is the straps slide down. You start off walking and the instrument is the perfect height, after 10 minutes it’s banging on the back of your legs.

Mono gig bags are also over £200 now!

That's got nothing to do with the strap adjustment, but where the bag sits in relation to the strap anchor points, which are not adjustable.

If you're approaching 6 foot in height then the bag is fine, for smaller people like myself the whole bag hangs too low so the bottom edge is constantly banging and rubbing against the back of my legs. 

OK for the short journey from car into the venue, not so good for a 10-15 walk across town.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2018 at 17:24, TheGreek said:

Can't go wrong with these - loads of padding, sturdy zips and straps - and only £20 FFS - you spend that in an hour in the pub...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-BASS-GUITAR-FOAM-PADDED-CARRY-CASE-GIG-BAG-SHOULDER-STRAPS/371661314918?hash=item5688bd9b66:m:mqRp5rOH83-7JJvRhDCTrUQ

Anyone know if they're actually halfway decent though?

Tempted to give it a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

You already mentioned the Fusion Urban (I'd say also the F1, if you still find it... some shops still have those). Very good gig bag with lots of protection and storage, but in addition they're probably the most comfortable to carry there are around. They're designed much like a good quality backpack. Walking with mine loaded with a heavy-ish Stingray, tons of cables and accessories and a couple of pedals... not a problem. My shoes would be a problem before my Fusion my back is.

On 06/02/2018 at 13:40, Paul S said:

I have a couple of TGI Extreme gig bags @£38 they are excellent value. https://www.normans.co.uk/product/tgi-extreme-series-electric-bass-guitar-gigbag

Not as good as a Mono, which I had for a while, but not £150 'less good'.  

This is what I keep my Sterling in. The original problem being that the Musicman case is so big I couldn't fit it into my last car (even less chance in my current car)

Mine will be 2 years old at the end of the month and looks as good as new and is really comfy when worn on your back

Thanks everyone for the brilliant replies, much appreciated. I bought a Fusion Urban direct from Fusion. I’m really happy with it. I like the external padded thing that you can move around.

I bought the guitar version which is excellent. So nice that I can carry my bass around and not need to worry about bumping it when I walk through doorways or along trains.

1432FBD7-EC9F-4C8C-B429-98BF2CAA98A8.jpeg

• Like 2

On 19/02/2018 at 19:05, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Anyone know if they're actually halfway decent though?

Tempted to give it a go. 

Bought a Thomann one. It's not half bad. The colour is awful but looks like it will do the job until I buy a Fusion double gig bag. 

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF

6 hours ago, ambient said:

Thanks everyone for the brilliant replies, much appreciated. I bought a Fusion Urban direct from Fusion. I’m really happy with it. I like the external padded thing that you can move around.

I bought the guitar version which is excellent. So nice that I can carry my bass around and not need to worry about bumping it when I walk through doorways or along trains.

1432FBD7-EC9F-4C8C-B429-98BF2CAA98A8.jpeg

Oh, nice!!! When my F1 dies, I'm getting the Urban

• Like 1