Why become a member? ×

What size nut width are you?

thebrig

I played a Fender Precision for the first 25 years so 18mm-19mm at the bridge is the only measurement where I still need consistency. I play 5 string basses so wide necks are par for the course. Width at the nut and scale length? I don't even think about them.

Edited by chris_b

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

42-44mm for me. My Aria SB-R 's at 43mm are bang on and for me the most comfortable necks (along with Status).

I've had some lovely basses with slimmer necks (EBMM Sterlings etc) but I get pains/cramps across my hand after a period of playing which I just don't get on wider necked basses. I do have long spindly fingers though so perhaps that's it.

I have exactly the same experience with regards to nut width. I get unbearable cramps in my left hand too.

I also don't get on with anything below 18mm bridge spacing.

I learned on a Squier P Special which has the J neck so it's what I gravitate towards normally.

Tried a J but couldn't get on with the sound, P necks were ok but quite variable depending on the P - the last one I had was quite baseball bat like.

I really shouldn't have got rid of that Squier but I detested the awful antique burst and cheap tort it came with. 

Personally it doesn't matter. I've been through so many basses of differing nut widths, neck depths, string spacing, number of strings etc that it doesn't matter to me anymore. Means that I can jump from one bass to another without thinking about it

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Personally it doesn't matter. I've been through so many basses of differing nut widths, neck depths, string spacing, number of strings etc that it doesn't matter to me anymore. Means that I can jump from one bass to another without thinking about it

I’m pretty much in this camp. My first 5er was an Ibanez BTB33 with 17mm string spacing at the bridge, my second 5er was a Yamaha BB 1025x with 18mm spacing, now all my 5ers have 19mm spacing. It’s never really bothered me and I can adapt to them all. I’d say I “feel” the difference between nut widths more but still, it’s not a problem.