Why become a member? ×

What size nut width are you?

thebrig

I’ve tried almost every bass out there over the years, and my favourite is definitely a Precision bass, but I feel so much more comfortable with a Jazz width nut, but not too keen on the Jazz sound, so I always go for a Precision and put a Jazz neck on it.

So it made me wonder why are we all so different when it comes to nut width preference, even a standard P bass nut of 41.3mm is a bit too wide for me, and the thought of getting to grips with some of the older P basses that have a 44.5mm scares me rigid, but is it all in my mind, could I eventually get used to a wider nut width? because if I could, then I wouldn’t be so restricted when I’m gassing for a new Precision.

And why I’m on this subject, why don’t Fender give you the option to choose the neck width? there must be loads of people out there who would like a Precision with a 38mm nut, and there must be many people out there who would like a Jazz with a 41.3mm nut, considering that these basses are mass produced, surely the choice of nut width could be offered as a option.

I know there are some P’s that come with a 38mm nut, but why can’t it cover the whole range?

Anyway, my main point is, why do some of you guys prefer a wider nut, and others prefer a narrower nut?

Edited by thebrig

I don't have a definitive answer to this (well, I'm a drummer, aren't I..? :$ ), but I go from several different guitars to 4, 5 and 6-string basses; none of 'em have anything like the same nut width nor string spacing, none of which bothers me in the slightest. It's very true that I'm far from being virtuoso player on any of 'em, but some folks manage to play mandolin, then bass, very well indeed. Not wishing to be rude, but I've never really known why it's so specific for some folks and not for others, variety being the spice of life and all that. B|
Just my tuppence-worth.

My favourite is the original 1 3/4 [44mm] precision neck.

I have a G&l sb2 which has a Jazz neck, and I wrote to G&L to see if I could  get a different neck. Waiting reply.

I think for me, because I got my original precision [a 1 3/4] in 69 or 70 and played nothing else till the 90s  it always seems familiar and safe.

I've owned & played many J bass inspired basses with the 38mm nut, and they've been good basses. However, my favourite instruments have always had the wider P bass style nut width.

No idea why, it just feels more comfortable to my hands.

And before anyone pipes up that "you can't tell the difference, it's only a few millimetres", yes you can feel the difference, and it does make a difference when you're playing.

Another 38mm lover here, just don’t feel comfortable on wider necks. I don’t have small hands but do suffer from an aggressive form of arthritis so don’t know if that affects it. I have an eye out fora Precision with Jazz width neck which I know they do but seem very rare.

• Like 1

I've never been bothered by nut width. I've adapted to any bass I've ever owned, be that P's, J's or Rays.

Not remotely criticising anyone in saying this, because I do get why people would have preferences, it's just I've never found it a deal breaker on an instrument.

Edited by 40hz

I think I could get through a gig on any nut width, I've owned most types.  But my favourite is the Fender 'B' width or 42mm.

This is born of playing a '78 Precision for roughly 20 years.  It was my only Bass, and now that nut width just feels familiar and comfy to me.

Ah, remember the good old days when you only had one bass!?!?

My go-to is a Precision width 42mm, however my preference is for a deep neck, so as long as a Jazz neck has good depth to it that`s also fine for me. The 2015 US Jazz I had for a while had the deepest neck I`ve ever encountered on a Jazz and it was a joy to play. I just can`t deal with shallow necks.

I've never liked the Jazz nut width. It's not the nut itself that's the problem, it's the fact that the string spacing at the bridge doesn't appear to compensate for the narrow nut width, so there is an appreciable feeling of 'flare' as you move up the neck. I have smallish hands - and I'm small for a bass player - but  I find my Stingray (1.625" I think) is far more comfortable for that reason at least. If the Jazz neck remained narrow, I think I'd be way more into it. 

So long as the nut isn't stupidly narrow for the number and thickness of the strings (Squier Bass VI), I'm really not bothered.

I think a lot of musicians get unnecessarily hung up over specifications on paper. I just ask myself "is this instrument comfortable to play?"

I'm also the person who didn't notice that their Overwater Original bass was extra-long scale (36") until I bought some standard 34" scale strings and realised that they didn't fit!

I can appreciate how physiology may affect “feel” - so if you have small hands and/or stubby fingers a smaller neck may be more comfortable, and vice versa. However, although I am not a massive fan of round, deep and narrow necks like some mid/late 70’s Jazz basses, profile doesn’t really matter to me. If I were a top player looking for that final 1% in a performing situation then maybe, but I suspect most of us on here are not. Having taught quite a lot of people over the years, my experience is that people can be worried, almost obsessed with these finer details, that in reality have very little impact in their ability to play or their enjoyment of playing.

Having played a 63 Precision for many years, I had to go for something lighter following a shoulder injury.

I now play Precision Lyte's, with a narrow jazz style neck, and made the transition very easily. Can still manage

a P-bass / Stingray shape neck, but sadly not for very long standing up!

The widest I've ever played is 42mm...which is a Squier P bass I've got now. I've also got 2 basses with 38mm nuts. It's not something that bothers me, I can switch between both easily. For me it's neck profile. Big chunky necks crucify my hand. I found this out when I bought a Rockbass Corvette. 38mm nut but a baseball bat for a neck...most horrid instrument I've ever played. I find the 42mm p bass with a slimmer neck profile much more comfortable...my main bass is still my 38mm jazz  because it looks awesome :D 

Edited by Marvin

This is interesting. I find I can get on with pretty much any nut width without noticing any difference really. Neck profile, fingerboard radius and string spacing at the bridge are what I “feel” more when playing.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

I'm most comfortable on Jazz style nut width, but I play any neck type. I have big hands, so I'm fine with either. String spacing at the bridge is a more important factor for me than at the nut. I play all kinds of basses with all kinds of spacings. I have 5-strings with 16.5 mm and 19 mm spacing at the bridge, and 4-strings with 19 mm and 20 mm spacing, and all kinds of nut widths and neck profiles. My '81 Ibanez Musician and Roadster have very wide necks (1 11/16", roughly 42-43 mm) and I get along comfortably on them, but I also play a '75 Jazz Bass reissue which is 1.5". 

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

41mm for a P bass, 38mm for a Jazz, or anything up to 41m i guess.

Funny thing though, i can play a 5 string  with a 45mm nut fine, but really struggle with a 4 string with that nut width. I think part of it is string spacing as well.

This is exactly the case for me.  It was only when I moved to playing 5ers that I realised it was string spacing, not neck width, that was critical for me.

• Like 1

For me, it's not just the nut width that really matters - it's also the chunkiness (depth and possibly radius) of the neck at the nut.

Generally, I seem to prefer Jazz width necks, but am also comfortable with Precisions with a modern "C" profile neck i.e. they're wider than a Jazz, but not overly deep
I once had a Rick copy (Chinese) that had a wide 44mm nut, but it was shallow, and I found I got on with it OK. Conversely, I once had a lovely Fender Japan Jazz - it was a beautiful bass and the neck finish felt nice, but it was narrow and shallow - so it may have been that it felt "weedy" to me, or partly down to string spacing

As LewisK has already said, I think I too could get through a gig with any width nut (a good reason to own several basses... with different dimension necks! lol)
But I did find a Warwick I once owned felt a bit "awkward" to me - that wasn't overly wide, but it was very deep.

My preferences have changed over the decades, from 44mm to around 42mm P necks, but I'm now equally happy playing a 38mm Jazz and regularly swap between them. I was once fussy about how chunky a neck was too, but lately -  I just don't care.

If a bass is otherwise brilliant, I don't let things like neck depth or nut width or board radius put me off any more. :)

Edited by discreet

Like most on here I could play a gig on almost anything now, and I am convinced over a few weeks I would be perfectly at home on almost anything. Saying that, the only nut width I struggle with is a Jazz width, as I have big fat fingers and I don't have enough space when I play down by the nut. As I said though, a couple of weeks and I am sure I would get used to it and adjust my technique.

My comfort zone is Stingray (41mm?) and Precision size necks, I actually love the old 44mm nuts on the 50s reissues. My 5 string has a 51mm nut and that is fine to play, its flat and wide so easy to navigate and the strings feel a 'normal' distance apart like on a 4 string.