Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton pb50 pickups

hooky_lowdown

Been sometime in the last year. I bought a PB50 for my brother's birthday this time last year and it was still Wilkinson. Pretty nice bass if you don't mind a bit of fettling and a proper baseball bat neck!

Edited by Bigwan

Yeah, as Bigwan mentioned Thomann swapped pups from Wilkinson to Roswell some time last year. The new PB50 has a 'FR' designation so I can only assume it's gona be Fiesta Red?

Have always hankered after an early 50's P bass, and the Thomann PB50's get great reviews, so maybe one of these is the way forward? Will wait to see what the new colour is like.

:)

my college bought a left handed HB Jazz that was one of the first i knew of with the Rosewell PUPS, they seem pretty comparable to the Wilksinson i have in the bridge of  a PJ bass. also looking forward to seeing the red version its been teasing on the Thomann website for sometime now! along with a LH PB50.   

• 2 weeks later...

@Jack

It's 4 year since I bought my first PB-50, I actually ended up buying 3 in quick succession :) Getting ready to buy No4,Im just waiting to see what the Fiery Red looks like. 

If you don't like the Roswell, though I heard from a fella on Friday that it's a decent pickup, £40 to £75 will get you a replacement and you'll have a belter of a bass for less than Squier Affinity money :D 

13 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

If you don't like the Roswell, though I heard from a fella on Friday that it's a decent pickup, £40 to £75 will get you a replacement and you'll have a belter of a bass for less than Squier Affinity money :D 

I appreciate that, but a big draw of the original was that it was a £90 bass with a £40 pickup. :-)

13 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

HB stopped using the Wilkinson pups because manufacturing switched to China and quality control became hit and miss, hence use of Roswell pups. The Roswell pup used in the pb50 retail at £40!

$31.50 but minimum order is 10 >:(

http://wscmusic.com/itemView.php?&query=view&code=00000507&no=4132&lv=2