Why become a member? ×

Any recommendations for stain

T-Bay

Looking for a decent blue/ turquoise stain to go on Sepele (poor man’s mahogany). Had a look and few come up but would Like to hear which ones work well for others. I have a few offcuts I can test on.

And does anyone have any suggestions for a lacquer to go on top?

On 07/02/2018 at 14:28, Rexel Matador said:

I've used two different colours of Crimson Guitars "Stunning Stains". They're lovely looking and super easy to work with.

I was going to recommend crimson aswell but also Minwax have some nice stains 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2018 at 20:06, T-Bay said:

Thanks guys, I have ordered some alcohol based dye. Does anyone have any experience/ tips on its use?

Sorry, just to get sensible, try a little of the stain somewhere where you'll be able to determine the end colour.  In a control cavity or neck pocket.  Once you're happy, apply in a well ventilated location.  Don't apply more than you need, work it in with a soft cloth allow it to set up for a bit then wipe away any excess.  Let it dry, lightly sand or wirewool the body to get rid of any areas where the grain will raise.  Repeat the stain until you're happy.  Apply something over the top...a clear coat of some kind (others here will tell you the best ones), rub down and repeat.  Avoid putting the guitar anywhere it'll come into contact with foam rubber as it'll cause the finish to burn/tarnish after there's been extended contact.