Why become a member? ×

Interesting (Ashdown content)

Bigwan

2 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Hope it actually really is all valve unlike the "all valve" branded CTM15 :)

Description of the valve complement is pretty much word for word the same as the standard CTM30 so think it is. My worry would be building transformers down to a size would have some sort of negative impact. But colour me interested! 

12 hours ago, andy67 said:

I had a CTM 15  sure it was all valve, 2xax7 and 2xEL84 pre and power sections. :) 

Quite a few pages on here and Talkbass show it was a hybrid.  The 12AX7 was a splitter and essentially the pre-amp was solid state.

6 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

There are a very few things that Valves do better than transistors, the term horses for courses comes to mind. Who is it heresy to put silicon in a valve amp?

It's not. I'm in entire agreement with you. But what IS wrong is to market it to the unsuspecting as an ALL VALVE amp. I have one and like it, but it pisses me off that a company like Ashdown has to stoop so low. 

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

It's not. I'm in entire agreement with you. But what IS wrong is to market it to the unsuspecting as an ALL VALVE amp. I have one and like it, but it pisses me off that a company like Ashdown has to stoop so low. 

In the guitar world a company did exactly this, Ultimate-GUitar found and the end result was an entire forum no longer recommends that company for anyone. I find it hard to recommend them also.

I can't seem to find anything on this on BC or on the wider web about it. Got a link?

1 hour ago, Fisheth said:

I can't seem to find anything on this on BC or on the wider web about it. Got a link?

Just look at any promotional material for the CTM15. Videos on YouTube of Mr Gooday himself using the "All Tube" line included. 

The guitar world should also be aware that the Hayden Mini Mofo 15 is also marketed the same way. The eagle eyed will note that in the above pic, the Mini Mofo is built on the same PCB... So... Yeah, but no... 

Edited by Bigwan

Just now, Bigwan said:

Just look at any promotional material for the CTM15. Videos on YouTube of Mr Gooday himself using the "All Tube" line included. 

The guitar world should also be aware that the Hayden Mini Mofo 15 is also marketed the same way. The eagle eyed will note that in the above pic, the Mini Mofo is built on the same PCB... So... Yeah, but no... 

I should have clarified, I was after anything that contradicted the all-tube claim, I can't find any schematics or anyone discussing this, sure there looks to be SS stuff in that picture, I just want to know what they've put in it that's SS. I think I have an idea but just want some clarity on it 

1 minute ago, Bigwan said:

Oof, rough day? The CTM 15 was never intentially marketed as an ‘all valve’ amp if we are abiding by the strictest definition, it is however a valve amp with valves in the pre amp and of course the lovely EL 84 power section which is where the majority of the tonal goodness comes from anyway. 

If some where stated it as ‘All Valve’ or if even we(Mark talks... a lot...) said it was then we apologise as that was never the intention. It is however a great amp with valves in that sounds like a great amp with valves in....

Please feel free to call in if you are ever Essex way as it would seem we owe you a hug and we also have top notch coffee.

ps the new Stubby CTM 30 is ‘ALL VALVE’ ;-) 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

Oof, rough day? The CTM 15 was never intentially marketed as an ‘all valve’ amp if we are abiding by the strictest definition, it is however a valve amp with valves in the pre amp and of course the lovely EL 84 power section which is where the majority of the tonal goodness comes from anyway. 

If some where stated it as ‘All Valve’ or if even we(Mark talks... a lot...) said it was then we apologise as that was never the intention. It is however a great amp with valves in that sounds like a great amp with valves in....

Please feel free to call in if you are ever Essex way as it would seem we owe you a hug and we also have top notch coffee.

ps the new Stubby CTM 30 is ‘ALL VALVE’ ;-) 

Actually yes. Bad day. Apologies, but that's rankled for a while, unintentional or not. 

I don't disagree - it's a great amp, although I'm not the greatest fan of the gain control. You wouldn't be willing to share the preamp schematic by any chance? I do like to tinker... 

Looking forward to the Stubby CTM 30. It'll be a must buy for me! 

26 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Actually yes. Bad day. Apologies, but that's rankled for a while, unintentional or not. 

I don't disagree - it's a great amp, although I'm not the greatest fan of the gain control. You wouldn't be willing to share the preamp schematic by any chance? I do like to tinker... 

Looking forward to the Stubby CTM 30. It'll be a must buy for me! 

No worries, will see if we have the schematic to hand in the morning