Why become a member? ×

Compressors - Do I need One?

Linus27

Yep, just about the only two compressors I`ve ever got on with were the on-board ones on an Ampeg PF500 and TC Electronic Classic 450. No fiddling about, just turn it til it sounds rotten then back off to suit. As has said you didn`t really notice what it was doing until turning it completely off.

On 07/02/2018 at 10:26, Lozz196 said:

Yep, just about the only two compressors I`ve ever got on with were the on-board ones on an Ampeg PF500 and TC Electronic Classic 450. No fiddling about, just turn it til it sounds rotten then back off to suit. As has said you didn`t really notice what it was doing until turning it completely off.

Agreed, the one knob Spectracomp on the TC Electronics amp heads are fantastic. And the pedal version is better still, being simultaneously both as simple as it gets with its single control, massively flexible with the free TCE Tone Prints, and offering almost infinite levels of control with the free e Tone Print editing software. 

I need a compressor just because unfortunately my technic is not the best so you can feel that volume is not the constant, so, until I improve my technique I will need it. If you can control the dynamic you get I think is not very useful.

When I'm practising/studying Comp is off, if not always on.

On 09/02/2018 at 20:52, spark said:

I need a compressor just because unfortunately my technic is not the best

You don't need a compressor because your technique is "not the best". A compressor will do nothing to compensate for poor technique.

Every professional bass player uses a compressor - if not directly on stage, then compression will be applied by their sound technician at the desk.

This is not fake news :) And it continually amazes me why so many amateur bass players haven't got their heads around why they should be using compression - and using it to their advantage. But heh, it's a funny old world innit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skol303 said:

You don't need a compressor because your technique is "not the best". A compressor will do nothing to compensate for poor technique.

Every professional bass player uses a compressor - if not directly on stage, then compression will be applied by their sound technician at the desk.

This is not fake news :) And it continually amazes me why so many amateur bass players haven't got their heads around why they should be using compression - and using it to their advantage. But heh, it's a funny old world innit.

Well said that man. 

Do we need a compressor? My tuppence worth as the ultimate compression fence-sitter and from what I've gleaned so far:

1. Where you have a professional set up with sound engineers (studio recording and larger venues) they will already be providing compression (so you don't need a compressor then);

2. In a live band setting e.g. in a pub, given how subtle compression is, very few folk (particularly in the audience) are going to notice any difference. Both function band and weekend warrior bassists on this forum are divided on the usefulness of compression; several try it ('cos they feel they should) and then abandon, others like @Osiris treat it like a toupee: something they would never be seen leaving the house without. 

3. Compression will give you a more centred sound (if that's what you want) and can 'brighten' up your tone a touch,  but it won't compensate for bad technique.

4. Compression can interact positively with other pedals in the chain (if you're someone who uses other pedals) and can protect your speakers from unwanted peaks e.g. from filter pedals.

My band didn't notice that I was using a 5 string bass for the first time at rehearsal last night,  instead of my usual 4 (until 2.5 hours into the rehearsal when I asked them what was different about my gear). Would they or a pub audience notice the subtle change in bass tone that a compressor provides? Almost certainly not! And I'd challenge any compressor user to disengage their compressor mid set in a pub gig and see if anyone bats an eyelid.

I've gigged happily without one for several years: so for me a compressor would be a 'nice to have' but certainly not a 'must have'.

Edited by Al Krow

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

2. In a live band setting in a pub, given how subtle compression is, very few folk (particularly in the audience) are going to notice any difference. Both function band and weekend warrior bassists on this forum are divided on the usefulness of compression; several try it ('cos they feel they should) and then abandon, others like @Osiris treat it like a toupee: something they would never be seen leaving the house without. 

That reminds me @Al Krow have you finished with my cucumber wrapped in tin foil yet? 

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...bassists on this forum are divided on the usefulness of compression; several try it ('cos they feel they should) and then abandon, others like @Osiris treat it like a toupee: something they would never be seen leaving the house without.

Does this mean you should only use a compressor if you're bald..?

1 hour ago, discreet said:

Does this mean you should only use a compressor if you're bald..?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I think it means you only need to use a compressor if you're bald. 

Well I`m in a skinhead band, so does this mean compress or not, I just can`t work it out...........

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Take a compressor on stage and if it gets a bit rowdy, throw it at the audience.

Makes a lot of sense. But I'd be suggesting that the Cali 76CB probably isn't the ideal choice for these purposes? It's a little bit spendy and I think there are definitely better value for money options for Lozz.

Edited by Al Krow

7 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I would suggest that anybody like me who has the amp gain up to 10, then uses a drive pedal a compressor would be a waste of money, but if you're the type that likes a very clean sound then it might have some merit.

Not necessarily, I've found compression is great for keeping a driven bass signal in check, albeit I use a dedicated, relatively low gain drive channel on my amp rather than balls out distortion or a dedicated pedal. But if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you :)

Edited by Osiris

@Al Krow I wouldn’t call you a compressor fence sitter, you are the Bob Dylan mate, and using the justification of a lack of observation skills from your band to no one needing a compressor is pure knights move thinking.

Another compressor thread again descends allegations into technique issues, no compressor user ever says that you shouldn’t have good technique, and I really doubt anyone rags their speakers soooooooo much that peaks in their sound caused by a filter pedal will blow them up.

regarding a drive pedal, well depending on which one and what kind, that more than likely has some form of compression in it, so yes another compressor may be a waste, but you are compressing the sound.

Yes compression comes in all ways and forms along the chain, most ways you will not know about, will adding a compressor help, yes it can if properly understood and properly used with a clear goal and not just tried it once, Pah -it’s rubbish. Is it essential, of course not, the only essential thing is a bass guitar of some description and a means to amplify it and to have fun.