Why become a member? ×

iPad for practise?

morsefull

Apologies as I know this has been discussed before but I’ve searched the forum and not really found an answer.

I normally practise using an aging Boss micro Br which I download mp3’s to then plug my bass in and adjust the levels, plug my headphones in and practise silently. Unfortunately the boss has developed an intermittent fault and it’s time to move on, so lm thinking,  I’ve got an iPad Air 2, what else do I need for silent practise?

I’m a bit technologically challenged so please go easy on me 🙂

I use a Focusrite itrack pocket with the current iPad running Bias Fx or Jamup pro. Works well. With audiobus app you can cute latency right down by varying the buffer size and you can internally route the output from Bias/Jamup to Garageband to record. Internal amps in Garageband are also excellent. 

An iRig or similar interface will do the job on an iPad. An iPad 2 is quite old so make sure you can install the free version of the amplitube software on it first.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

I don't tend to use my iPad for practice much as I'm wary of catching one of the the cables and yanking it onto the floor. I usually practice to music on itunes on my MacBook - either with my bass plugged into a focusrite scarlet solo interface with one of the  IK multimedia amplitube ampeg bass amp emulations, or if I'm not using headphones I tend to plug into my Roland Microcube RX amp.

3 minutes ago, morsefull said:

I take it an interface is something to plug my bass in then connects to the iPad via fire wire? Which one would you recommend Kevin ?

Now you're asking :)

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IK-Multimedia-Mobile-Guitar-Interface-Black/dp/B00T631UTC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1517870072&sr=8-7&keywords=audio+interface+for+ipad+mac

5 hours ago, Trueno said:

I used to use a Tascam bass trainer... CD version. You can speed up or slow down the track and change key (although it sounds a bit wibbly when you do).Why the hell did I sell it?

I have the solid state version, the GB-10.  It's very handy as you can download MP3s into it and play along.  Like the CD version (I still have one) you can slow the track down or speed it up (without changing key) or change the key without altering the pace.  It's a very nice piece of kit.

I do it two ways. 

One way is i use my iRig HD interface that plugs in to the ipad via the Lightning connector (NOT FireWire). The bass just plugs in to that and you don’t need any power leasd etc. Using something like GarageBand to give me amp sims I can then play along to any music/videos on the ipad. Works well and is the neatest option IMO. You still have all the slowing down features, as long as you have the right apps. There is a small latency but ive not found it to be an issue. I have found getting the right balance between bass (especially clean bass) and the music to be tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it it works really well. It also works well with my iphone and has been handy for working out songs at gigs backstage. 

Mostly these days i use my ipad in to my Zoom B3n via the headphone out, and plug my bass in to that as well. Then take the combind audio out fo the B3n via its headphone out. This seems to work better for me as i have more control over the bass tone/volume. More wires of course and the need for a plug. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I have the solid state version, the GB-10.  It's very handy as you can download MP3s into it and play along.  Like the CD version (I still have one) you can slow the track down or speed it up (without changing key) or change the key without altering the pace.  It's a very nice piece of kit.

Bugger! Now I've been looking at this... looks even better than the cd version... birthday coming up...

I have an iPad Air 2 and use garage band with an irig interface for recording ideas and songs but it is not ideal for practice, hard to play along with tracks. The MP3s are hard to stop and start when in garage band.

I usually use my blackstar fly and plug the iPad into it as an MP3 player, a lot easier.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:43, morsefull said:

Apologies as I know this has been discussed before but I’ve searched the forum and not really found an answer.

I normally practise using an aging Boss micro Br which I download mp3’s to then plug my bass in and adjust the levels, plug my headphones in and practise silently. Unfortunately the boss has developed an intermittent fault and it’s time to move on, so lm thinking,  I’ve got an iPad Air 2, what else do I need for silent practise?

I’m a bit technologically challenged so please go easy on me 🙂

Korg Pandora 4, head phones and YouTube and I'm set.

Blue

I'd heartily recommend SweetMidi on the iPad as a practice tool if you are playing covers. 

There's a vast selection of free midi tracks out there. Load them up in to SweetMidi and you can play along with the bass track muted for an instant backing band. Very nicely designed app that's easy to use and has most of the features that you could want for rehearsing, eg tempo and key change. 

I switched to android a while back and it took a while to find a good midi app, but midivoyager is on par with SweetMidi. 

I've used the Line6 Sonic Port as an audio interface to an iPhone or iPad. Bass  and head phones plug into interface, then on the iPad I can use a variety of apps, including Garageband, but I also have used Capo which allows you to change the pitch (to suit a key change), slow down, loop sections and apply EQ filters to allow you to hear your playing better or hear the original bass line better. 

The neat thing about Sonic Port, other than being a great interface is that it comes with both Lightning and 30-pin cables to attach it to both more modern iOS devices as well as the older iPads. It works on both iPad and iPhones.  I've even used it in rehearsals with a TRS output socket on the Sonic Port going to the PA/Monitor.

18 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

I have an iPad Air 2 and use garage band with an irig interface for recording ideas and songs but it is not ideal for practice, hard to play along with tracks. The MP3s are hard to stop and start when in garage band.

I usually use my blackstar fly and plug the iPad into it as an MP3 player, a lot easier.

Why not just play the MP3 file outside GB? They can play in the background (or foreground) while using GB as an amp sim.