Why become a member? ×

Frank Blank

I have to say it appears not to the bass' fault but your reaction to it. To sell it without playing it is a very weird response to a musical instrument. (An investment maybe less so.) Play it... it could be 'the one' for you.

You also shouldn't be spending £1k+ sums when you're obviously prone to fickle, possibly arbitrary decisions, "a week after purchase I discovered I should be playing a short scale"...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, visog said:

I have to say it appears not to the bass' fault but your reaction to it. To sell it without playing it is a very weird response to a musical instrument. (An investment maybe less so.) Play it... it could be 'the one' for you.

You also shouldn't be spending £1k+ sums when you're obviously prone to fickle, possibly arbitrary decisions, "a week after purchase I discovered I should be playing a short scale"...

I don’t think that’s a fickle, nor arbitrary, decision. In fact it wasn’t a decision at all, it was a discovery on playing a short scale for the first time.

13 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I have it up for sale right now as a week after purchase I discovered I should be playing short scale. I haven't played a note on it. I think I'm just going to have to take a huge hit on this one and put it down to experience.

You could use it as a short scale by detuning it & putting on a capo at the second fret. O.o

Definitely worth checking the returns policy and condition it needs to be returned in to get a full refund from the place you bought it.

I've returned a couple of basses in my time: a Warwick Rockbass that was about as meh as they come, and a Yammy 1025 - which I've since replaced (they are a great bass!) - that came scratched beneath the varnish; got a full refund no Qs asked in both cases.

But provided it doesn't risk you getting a full refund (which it shouldn't), for sure play the thing! There was a reason you decided to buy it in the first place, right?

I've never been a fan of Orange amps and cabs. There are plenty on this forum who love them. It's what works for you: at the end of the day it's all about making music.

@Jus Lukin Enjoy the Rick, starting to appreciate why you need to be selling your Markbass gear to fund it... :) 

The Mondeo doesn't seem to be selling so well these days...couldn't find the total UK sales in 2017, someone else may be able to enlighten me. 

1) Ford Fiesta 94,533
2) VW Golf 74,605
3) Ford Focus 69,903
4) Nissan Qashqai 64,216
5) Vauxhall Corsa 52,772
6) Vauxhall Astra 49,370
7) VW Polo 47,855
8) Mini 47,669
9) Mercedes C-class 45,912
10) Mercedes A-class 43,717

• Like 1

I think you all have very valid points. I did buy it, initially, because I love the look of it and I love the weight too, and, thinking more about what @visog said I can be fickle sometimes and throw all my toys out the pram over very little. I think I need to apply a little adult reason and give it a proper chance.

Edited by Frank Blank

Just now, Marc S said:

Yes, I think I'd contact the seller, to arrange a refund.
Then take a look at that Mustang P/J on here, or perhaps the seller has one in stock? Try for an exchange?

I have a Chowny Pro on order to satisfy my electric SS bass needs and my main bass is the Taylor GS Mini-e Bass, but I’m thinking about starting up a heavy dub band in the next few months and now I’m wondering if the Aerodyne might be the very bass for that project?

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Jus Lukin

The Mondeo doesn't seem to be selling so well these days...couldn't find the total UK sales in 2017, someone else may be able to enlighten me. 

I was looking at getting a 2nd hand Mondeo just over a year ago, 2 litre petrol about 6 months old, best offer on fuel consumption was about 20mpg around town..no wonder they ain't selling!!!

On 2/4/2018 at 21:51, Frank Blank said:

I have it up for sale right now as a week after purchase I discovered I should be playing short scale.

Why? A few peeps have such short arms that they really can't play long scale. For most, it just takes persistent practice stretching your left arm until your shoulder and arm loosen up. I still feel a bit of a stretch on the first one or two frets on my beloved 35" basses, but it's getting easier all the time. Same as stretching your fingers over more than a couple of frets rather than moving your hand, work on it and it will happen.

As for the Aerodyne - I'm slightly surprised that they're so much more expensive new than a standard Jazz, but they are a bit special! I don't know what the build and tone quality are like on the new ones. Mine is a 1992 and it's superb on both counts. (£550 a couple of years ago.) I tried a 2002 a while back and was not at all impressed. (Johnny Roadhouse tried it on at £850 and I believe after quite  a long time sold it for £600.) 

You'll prise mine out of my dead hands, unless you happen to be my 4yo grandson :-)

IMG_0385.jpg

• Like 1

Perhaps the old ones are a league above, or perhaps some of us have just encountered a few random duds out there! I played about 10 or so PJ basses in Wunjos last summer and the Aerodyne J was the most disappointing of the bunch. The old MIJ Jazz Special on the other hand came home with me! 

With tone it can be hard to tell whether it's the original quality or the effects of aging that make an older one better. Build quality is easier to judge - my 1992 is superb however closely you look, the 2002 just had signs of sloppiness here and there in the fit and finish. Haven't seen a new one, so can't comment on that.

Each one is different too! Last summer I tried two 1966 EB2s, same condition (to look at), same price. One was dead wood. The other was pure joy and is now mine :-)

8 hours ago, josie said:

Why? A few peeps have such short arms that they really can't play long scale. For most, it just takes persistent practice stretching your left arm until your shoulder and arm loosen up. I still feel a bit of a stretch on the first one or two frets on my beloved 35" basses, but it's getting easier all the time. Same as stretching your fingers over more than a couple of frets rather than moving your hand, work on it and it will happen.

As for the Aerodyne - I'm slightly surprised that they're so much more expensive new than a standard Jazz, but they are a bit special! I don't know what the build and tone quality are like on the new ones. Mine is a 1992 and it's superb on both counts. (£550 a couple of years ago.) I tried a 2002 a while back and was not at all impressed. (Johnny Roadhouse tried it on at £850 and I believe after quite  a long time sold it for £600.) 

You'll prise mine out of my dead hands, unless you happen to be my 4yo grandson :-)

IMG_0385.jpg

There is a young man who really might be better off with a short scale......