Why become a member? ×

Saying hello to the main band?

LITTLEWING

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

Yeah, doesn't sound like a great character... but the thing about having his travel and hotel expenses covered does not sound unreasonable to me.

I forgot to mention that he actually had a gig of his own in the same venue on the next night, so the charity foundation in effect paid his travel and hotel expenses for his own concert.

We supported Showaddywaddy  at Butlin's about 8 years ago. Really good gig for us. Before we went on our guitarist had gone over and got chatting to one or two of them at sound check. When we were watching them he said he didnt recognise the guys he had spoken to,. Turns out the road crew did the sound checks and they turned up much later to go on. At least he tried.

With regards to VM - many years ago a friend of mine's band were making an album (like so many they were great but it never got anywhere) and a couple of us used to hang around the studio (Air Studios above the shops in Oxford St.) and try not to get in the way. We were young, and it was fascinating. The engineer was a great guy, and we got on really well. He told me that he had spent some time recording for The Man, who was extremely hard work apparently. One day he turned up pi**ed (again) copped the strop and stormed off, slamming the door behind him. There followed a lot of crashing and banging, swearing and shouting - VM had just locked himself in a store cupboard and was now a tangle of mic stands and other paraphernalia. Oh how they chortled!

On 2/7/2018 at 08:25, borntohang said:

Again, sounds good to me. I had an audition with a band last week and afterwards the manager came to see me and did a bit of a pep talk thing:

"What do you want, kid? You want to be famous? Because these guys are going to make it. Biggest band in the world next year."

"flip no, who wants to be famous? It's hard work and it sucks and you have to talk to journalists all the time. I want to be RICH!"

While I hope that you join this band and become both rich and famous.... I can't stand managers and hangers on who hype like this, how many times do we see the band start believing the bulls**t, stop honing their songwriting, and then still be playing the same half decent songs in small london pubs 4-5 years later "I've got Parlophone's top A&R man coming down to this one lads"...

• Like 1

On 10/02/2018 at 10:24, LukeFRC said:

While I hope that you join this band and become both rich and famous.... I can't stand managers and hangers on who hype like this, how many times do we see the band start believing the bulls**t, stop honing their songwriting, and then still be playing the same half decent songs in small london pubs 4-5 years later "I've got Parlophone's top A&R man coming down to this one lads"...

Oh yeah, I've been in the business long enough to default to 'nod and smile politely' mode unless it's written on paper. He was a breath of fresh air really. I didn't think they made them like that any more: shaved head, rat moustache, camelhair coat, loads of gold rings. A proper old school showbiz bastard...

Edited by borntohang
  • Thanks 1

I did a support slot for a female-fronted 80s band and offered my Eden rig to the promoter which the bassist took me up on.

During soundcheck, their guitarist turns to the bass player and says “your sound is awesome, what are you using?” Bass player looks around and says “Eden or something, never heard of them?”

On a side note, I’m blind in one eye so I tend to squint a little in that eye. Singer of said 80s band goes on to accuse me of winking at her!

Some folk just aren’t very nice.