Why become a member? ×

Cheap vs Expensive

Rayman

I've been doing this a long time, so I kinda know what I'm doing....

I just moved into a flat, and wanted a good quality combo, to jam out loud to the Bose.

I've been searching around, looking at the Markbass Micro Mark, EBS something or other, and all of them were expensive and I got to wonder if I was paying for the brand. I'll admit, most of the sound comparisons were via YouTube reviews, maybe not fair.... but... the Micromark sounded kak. Sterile and soulless. I had a CMD121P and NY extension once, and was underwhelmed by that too. I like honk, grunt, even from a small combo.

Then... I found my Chinese made Peavey Microbass 30W combo in my storage space, buried under boxes of crap. It cost me 30 quid from the bay about 5 years ago.

I just spent an hour on it via my Roadworn Jazz.... it sounded utterly fabulous. Slightly above flat EQ, Jazz all ahead full..... immense. Ok I'm not going to gig with it, I'll use the DB500 for that, but for home, for practice, it's bloody perfect. 

The point..... don't be put off, with gear, by brand names or origin of manufacturer. Use your ears, and look after your hard earned. 

The funk's in the fingers, not the kit.

Laters

Edited by Rayman

I use a Vox Venue Bass 30 for in the home (& even for smaller gigs).
It's a 1x12 combo.  Weighs about the same as a Markbass 2x10 combo.

The thing is, it does sound really good especially for something that, when you can find one for sale, is less than £50.

Preferred sound is a matter of personal taste. It's not negotiable so if one has found "the perfect" practice or gigging solution....be my guest.

Whether the same solution would be perfect for me is a completely different issue and can solely be answered by me.

Me, ...I use my gigging gear (or part of it) for home and band practice. Even cheaper than buying a cheap practice combo.:biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Such a tricky question, not just because it requires a subjective answer but because the strength(of lack) of the pound has as much to do with price as actual value. Many old pieces were cheap because they appeared when the pound was really strong(a long time ago)! Then there's technology and outsourcing. My present combo(built in Indonesia) cost a third of what my old combo did(built in America) and is ten times better. It's also about a thousand pounds cheaper than the Messa Boogie equivalent. Companies have been out sourcing for so long that countries like China are actually getting very good at musical manufacture (something you could not have imagined twenty years ago). Taking a Chinese guitar to a good work shop was once pointless. Now the instruments are good enough quality for a workshop to get them up to the same standard as an American guitar for very little money.