Why become a member? ×

Quick question for the wedding bands here.

Les

Not really our bag but we've done them and we're always set up before the guests arrive.

With this one the ceremony, meal and evening reception is in the same room which is new to us.

When do you normally get the chance to set up and sound check ?

Ta 

Les

We’re an 8 piece band, it kinda has to be before they all get there. You’ll need space to put cases and lighting rigs etc off the stage before you’re finished. They don’t always remember but my lot know not to unload into the performing area- you end moving everything 3 times and tripping over each other. Lastly, have you played the venue before? Knowing where to park, where the plugs are and how many, are you going to obscure fire exits etc takes the stress level down massively. And use a digital desk!

We always encourage the clients to allow us at least and hour and a half to get in and set up... most of the time it's needed to allow for people to relax after speeches/meal anyway, and we get music on for atmosphere as soon as the PA is up! Never a problem, 6 piece band and sound engineer and a ton of gear!

Edited by knicknack

When faced with this "arrangement" Les, I normally contact the venue and ask to speak to the wedding co-ordinator, or whoever is sorting things out. They should be able to give you a timetable of events and when you can set-up. They will no doubt be changing the room around between the meal and evening reception so that will be your opportunity. Normally the wedding party will be ushered into another bar/room somewhere whilst they do this.

When you get the timetable expect the set-up to time to slide as weddings never run to time.

for an 8 o'clock start we're there for 6 and we always specify 2 rooms in the contract for changing as we are a male & female band - we're lucky if we get to change in the toilets TBH. There are absolutely fantastic wedding venues out there that genuinely look after bands but they are few and far between and an absolute joy to play at.

1 hour is what we say as it allows us time to sound check but rarely do we get it but luckily myself and singer have wireless so we can venture into the crowd to see what the levels are like during the first couple of songs

When we have done these its gone 3 ways.

We have been asked to arrive and set up before people arrive, so a very early get in, and a very long day. On the other hand sometimes the venue have to turn the room around (getting rid of tables etc) after the day time stuff and wedding breakfast, and that's another time the band can get in. It helps to be able to set up and sound check as fast as possible when its like this. We tend to unpack as much as we can and start putting things like the kit together before we load in if possible.

Worse case for us is when you are asked to set up during the wedding breakfast (and speeches), but dont make any noise.

Oh, and check with the venue or wedding party to see if they expect to use your mic for the speeches. We've had a few where we were told to arrive after the speeches etc, only to be moaned at because they wanted to use our mic's FOR the speeches. Just smile and be polite :-)

Yup, get there slightly earlier than you're meant to & do the best you can in the time you've got. If your desk is digital & someone's got wireless to go out & check levels, you're golden.

Leave someone to work the mics if you get asked to put speeches thru em. & if the speeches start going on too long, chuck a sneaky ring mod on the vocal channel to give everyone a good laugh & bring things to a close so you can get playing & get finished.

• Like 1

Allocate the jobs to ensure each band member knows what they’re needed to do - a lot of time is lost in people twiddling there fingers doing nothing. With my old functions band we used to test ourselves how efficient we could be (sounds like a mass produced Japanese outfit 😂), our best was 12 mins for an eight piece. Get efficient and you can get in anytime i.e. when the bride needs the loo ;)  

5 hours ago, Raslee said:

Allocate the jobs to ensure each band member knows what they’re needed to do

Gold star if you managed to get your drummer to chip in too...

With ours it's plonk your gear all over the stage > set up kit > play annoyingly & incessantly while everyone else sets everything else up > zoom to the bar immediately after sound check while everyone else clears up cases etc > moan on the rare occasion he's paid to take the PA home & no one seems to want to help strip it down.

7 hours ago, Raslee said:

Allocate the jobs to ensure each band member knows what they’re needed to do - a lot of time is lost in people twiddling there fingers doing nothing. 

Nope, not with us.

1 hour ago, roceci said:

Ah, that would be the soon to be ex-drummer.Soon as in that night as soon as the trailer was packed.

1 hour ago, roceci said:

With ours it's plonk your gear all over the stage > set up kit > play annoyingly & incessantly while everyone else sets everything else up > zoom to the bar immediately after sound check while everyone else clears up cases etc > moan on the rare occasion he's paid to take the PA home & no one seems to want to help strip it down.

Sounds all too familiar!

3 hours ago, roceci said:

Sounds like you got it easy if he goes to the bar 'after' sound check, most would do the annoying rattling the kit thing for ages then disappear just when you need them for the only five minute slot you are allowed to sound check! xD

The key is communication with the wedding party and venue and have a contract in place so that all parties know what is expected of them and when. That little bit of preparation goes along way to ensure everyone knows what they are doing, when to do it and have enough time to do it in - and at the same time to make sure no one changes the plan unexpectedly last minute. That extra work, the personal visit prior to the performance and a face to face meet is just another reason pro bands need to charge what they do. :) 

Furthermore, never, ever fosters off the wedding party... 

No drummer on my watch sits on their derrière doing nothing. I'm with Les on that one. Thankfully we have an amazing band where everyone wants to chip in and help unless there's a very good reason to not. 

3 minutes ago, dood said:

The key is communication with the wedding party and venue and have a contract in place so that all parties know what is expected of them and when. That little bit of preparation goes along way to ensure everyone knows what they are doing, when to do it and have enough time to do it in - and at the same time to make sure no one changes the plan unexpectedly last minute. That extra work, the personal visit prior to the performance and a face to face meet is just another reason pro bands need to charge what they do. :) 

Furthermore, never, ever fosters off the wedding party... 

No drummer on my watch sits on their derrière doing nothing. I'm with Les on that one. Thankfully we have an amazing band where everyone wants to chip in and help unless there's a very good reason to not. 

Spot on Dan. Outlines the difference between a band that plays weddings and a wedding band.

21 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Spot on Dan. Outlines the difference between a band that plays weddings and a wedding band.

Very much so. Every time I quote for any private function I realise I should have doubled it by the end of the night.

40 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

18 minutes ago, Les said:

Very much so. Every time I quote for any private function I realise I should have doubled it by the end of the night.

Funnily, I'd originally prefixed my post with a comment about 'bands that play weddings' and 'wedding bands' but I wondered if coupled with the rest of my post it were inflammatory, but yes that's kinda what I was getting at :) 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Few comments about using a digital desk. 

Any particular reason ? it is a serious question as i generally see standard mix desks.

Dave

If it's a regular venue you play at then you'll have all the settings saved from last time you played there, set it up the same as last time and use the same kit and mics and you only really need to make sure everything works at sound check, a budget version for a typical desk with knobs is to take photos of the knobs after each gig.