Why become a member? ×

DIY jaguar bass build looking for any help I can get

Hazza590

9 hours ago, Grangur said:

I was just thinking I and some others might have some bits hanging about we can contribute. I've probably got knobs and might have a bridge.

What I do have is all the tools for leveling and crowning the frets. I'm down the road in Bishops Stortford. So if you and Dad fancy a drive over, when the time's right, I can help you out with a go with my tools. That will save you needing to buy them.

Thanks I’ll probably do that @Grangur what colour what colour do you reckon the bridge and knobs would be?

Edited by Hazza590

Gents thanks again for the advice and the offers......More than generous!!

We aren’t trying to get something for nothing!! Although it would obviously help Harry spread his money a bit further so thanks.

what I would say is if you have something you want to sell.... then you and Harry can sort out whether he wants it and value....

if you have something you’d like to donate or to help him out (and he wants it) - I will make a donation to a charity of your choice and cover P&P 

Hopefully that way everyone gets something out of it..!

I'll just add to the advice of @Jabba_the_gut by saying that when routing the neck pocket you can remove a lot of the material with a brad point drill bit first. That will save a lot of wear and tear on your router bit. Then go steady with the router, shaving a mm or two in each pass - helps reduce the risk of tear-out. I'm sure you don't need reminding to be really careful with the router - they are vicious machines that want to carve fingers! :D

9 hours ago, Hazza590 said:

Thanks I’ll probably do that @Grangur what colour what colour do you reckon the bridge and knobs would be?

I have 2 chrome knobs.  They're push on ones. I know they fit the small pots I have here. 

"Bent Bit of Tin" Chrome bridge. Its in virtually "as new" condition. I'm happy to put them in the post to you. Don't post your address here. If you want them, PM me.

Edited by Grangur

14 minutes ago, Grangur said:

I have 2 chrome knobs.  They're push on ones. I know they fit the small pots I have here. 

"Bent Bit of Tin" Chrome bridge. Its in virtually "as new" condition. I'm happy to put them in the post to you. Don't post your address here. If you want them, PM me.

Thanks that sounds great I’ll pm you the details 

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

You can't beat having new screws to put the bass together. Somewhere that's really good for buying screws and other parts is WD Music.  http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1 They also sell some really good necks. Not the cheapest, but they are good and no import duty to be paid on your purchase either.

This.

You can buy parts pretty cheap on eBay - esp if you don't mind a wait for them to come over from china!

BUT

throw away the screws and buy new good ones. 

Thats my one bit of advice. 

There is a PDF that you caould presumably print out and use as a template here

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxndWl0YXJwbGFuc2NvbGxlY3Rpb258Z3g6NDc1YjQzZjJjMDlkZDFjNg

A print shop should be able to print out 1:1 on single sheets, but some printers will print out multiple sheets of A4 that you can cut/paste together.

Hazza... great stuff you're doing there. I think I was still playing with my action man when I was your age ???

if you get the chance, let us know how you get on with the Geezer pickups... they seem like a great addition to the short scale Squier Jag I've just bought. Of course I don't need them, but you've given me GAS... or should that be PAS.

4 hours ago, Hazza590 said:

I decided to go for a walnut pj body and ditch the whole jaguar idea as all the parts for a jaguar were far more expensive than a normal pj bass

3 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Ooh, walnut - nice!

I agree what finish you thinking?

• 1 month later...