Why become a member? ×

Bandless for the first time in years

Buzzy

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Thank you, there's a lot to learn but it's certainly worth it! First gig is on April 1st in Yorkshire. 

Should be easy for a man of your calibre (pronounced cal-eye-ber). Bit too far for me, but have a good one. :)

Edited by discreet

Only just discovered this thread, I can certainly agree with the thoughts that you're only as old as you feel, it's all in the mind (I thought it was all in the fingers, when did we change it??) and long hair helps! I turned 60 a couple of months ago, still have long hair, and was recently asked to join the best band I have ever played in, in fact one of the best I have heard. The future is looking good, and only a few months ago I thought life would be all pipe and slippers once I became 60! 

Christ, I have a number 2 on top and 1 up the sides, I’ve got no chance.😢

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Only just discovered this thread, I can certainly agree with the thoughts that you're only as old as you feel, it's all in the mind (I thought it was all in the fingers, when did we change it??) and long hair helps! I turned 60 a couple of months ago, still have long hair, and was recently asked to join the best band I have ever played in, in fact one of the best I have heard. The future is looking good, and only a few months ago I thought life would be all pipe and slippers once I became 60! 

I'm 64 Dave and I still want to gig as much as possible. Saw a few summer festival bookings come through today but overall I need more. 3 gig weekends is where I like to be.

I say, why not gig till you drop dead.😁

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Nice one Dave.

I'm just a youngster at 57 but i'm having a first meet with a Glam Rock covers band this month. Only just finalised the guitarist. All playing in other bands. Singer and guitarist are from Ozzy tribute band Talk of the Devil. The guitarist is actually their bass player so its a bit of a mixed bunch. I've always wanted to play the Glam Rock material but just never managed to find others that had same idea. Maybe there's just more of a market for it now. 

Fact is at 57 i've never been busier and mate doing his original Prog material has also asked if i'd be interested in helping out doing his material live. Giving that some thought too.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

On 2/3/2018 at 15:31, Pestie said:

Hey Buzzy. I’m 68 mate and been in both situations. I’m back playing again though.  If you want to you can. Age means nothing go for it if it is what you want! 😀👍🎸😀👍🎸😀👍🎸😀

Gigging at 60 plus can be really cool if your in the right space. Meaning proper gigs that pay and are fun.

Blue

5 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm 64 Dave and I still want to gig as much as possible. Saw a few summer festival bookings come through today but overall I need more. 3 gig weekends is where I like to be.

I say, why not gig till you drop dead.😁

Blue

I'd like to get gigging a bit more as i'm getting older. Originally when i got back into bands i thought one a month would suit me but now that i've more free time and a little older the weekends don't have any special meaning ie night out with friends for a beer or two i'm thinking i'd like to play more often.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

(quick check of diary)..yes. Do you know it? Not been there before, it's a fair old drive from Oxford!

Great club venue (apart from the load-in - up the fire escape or a narrow staircase indoors)! I've had a couple of great nights there. 

I would have had a drive over but unfortunately I'm gigging in Leeds that night...

• Like 1

The band played there last year, so they know the ropes, but it's my first time with them and first time up there. My gear is fairly light so the stairs shouldn't be too big a deal. I might be staying near Leeds after the gig, guitarist has offered me a sofa to crash on before I drive back home.

Edited by FinnDave

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

The band played there last year, so they know the ropes, but it's my first time with them and first time up there. My gear is fairly light so the stairs shouldn't be too big a deal. I might be staying near Leeds after the gig, guitarist has offered me a sofa to crash on before I drive back home.

Actually, the fire escape isn't too bad if its not wet outside. Mind you, it is in a valley in the Pennines, next to a river in an area prone to serious flooding so it does tend to get a bit wet at times! 

If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the band and who is the guitarist? I might well know him if he lives in Leeds or is known round the area, especially if he has played the local blues circuit... 

15 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I think he lives somewhere out of Leeds, not an area I know well (even though I was a student there in the70s!). The band is called The Grateful Dudes, it's a Grateful Dead cover/tribute band.

Just had a quick look at the Facebook page and I see it seems to be pretty much a nationally based band, certainly no one I recognise. 

The Trades Club has always been a great gig when I've played there - have a good one... 

Edited by peteb

Sounds really cool to me Dave.

Blue

8 hours ago, peteb said:

Just had a quick look at the Facebook page and I see it seems to be pretty much a nationally based band, certainly no one I recognise. 

The Trades Club has always been a great gig when I've played there - have a good one... 

Yeah, it is, we rehearse in Leicester, my 95 mile drive is by no means the longest! They've not put me on the facebook page yet, we were talking about new picture etc on Sunday.

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Had a quick listen and they sound good Dave. All the best with them.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, I certainly landed on my feet with this one, excellent musicians, all of them, and two drummers who can really play makes for some interesting rhythmic possibilities. 

25 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Thanks, Dave, I certainly landed on my feet with this one, excellent musicians, all of them, and two drummers who can really play makes for some interesting rhythmic possibilities. 

2 drummers would be interesting altho that's 2 guys doing less of the gear shifting at the end of the night :D

Hopefully you'll keep us all posted on how it goes.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

2 drummers would be interesting altho that's 2 guys doing less of the gear shifting at the end of the night :D

Our drummer spends all his time at the end of a gig chatting up women while making it look like he's packing up his gear. Meanwhile we do the stripdown and then help him load his stuff!  Drummers eh! Can't gig without em...can't kill 'em!

• Haha 1