Why become a member? ×

Poor guy - is this ageist ??

musicbassman

there's always 2 sides to every story, bass player I know got the sack, bitterly complaining the others are taking it too seriously, it's only a hobby, fair enough,  I talked to a another guy out of the band he said the bass player never practiced at home they spent all the practices reteaching him the parts, I saw them live a couple of times the bassist always sounded ok to me, I suspect the truth was somewhere in the middle it usually is

But isn't playing bass something that a twentysomething bran-dead asbo-collecting failed guitarist would do?? I mean, really - if you were worldly wise and have gained some wisdom from being on the planet for a number of decades, playing the bass in a band isn't going to appeal, is it? I MEAN, COME ON, MAAAAN!!

If age really is the only reason he's been binned, then I really feel for him. I mean, it's only a function band FFS, it's not like they need to foster a youthful image to draw a following or impress a label. There might be more than meets the eye, 2 sides to every story and all that, but if age is the sole issue then I don't blame him for feeling bitter.

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

There might be more than meets the eye, 2 sides to every story and all that, but if age is the sole issue then I don't blame him for feeling bitter.

We'll never know. Could be he was just crap and/or an insufferable pain in the bum and the band took a while to find a replacement...

3 minutes ago, discreet said:

We'll never know. Could be he was just crap and/or an insufferable pain in the bum and the band took a while to find a replacement...

Yeah. I've found that keeping your teeth in the glove compartment of the van on those long overnight drives never endears you to the younger members of the band.

• Haha 5

I think it's a nice ad, he's basically saying that if you're only bothered about younger players then don't get in contact...and doing it with with a smile.

To the kind of band he seems to be after it makes sense - he may put some folks off with his saltiness, but maybe he wants folks with a similar sense of humour...

Edited by ahpook

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Yeah. I've found that keeping your teeth in the glove compartment of the van on those long overnight drives never endears you to the younger members of the band.

Yes. The rest of my band say they have no problem with my zimmer frame, but I've seen the glances. They've got it in for me. Is it time for my nap yet?

Edited by Rich

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes. The rest of my band say they have no problem with my zimmer frame, but I've seen the glances. They've got it in for me. Is it time for my nap yet?

Our drummer (considerably older than the rest of us) got rid of his drum rack when we called it his zimmer frame. It was either that or a bath rail.

Low level functions band getting rid of a good and reliable bassist after 6 years because for age ? There must be more going on than just that ? If not then the relationships can't be that good anyway and id not want to be in a band for 6 years with people who didn't like each other that much 

Edited by lojo