Why become a member? ×

Ed’s got a rattling Barefaced!

fretmeister

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

That looks thoroughly dodgy to me. Why is Friedland going public like that? No doubt we can look forward to an announcement of his new sponsorship from Aguilar shortly...

He’s pretty neutral I always thought. Anyway, looks like a Genzler head on top. 

No product is perfect - there will always be the odd horror story. Although it's truly impressive how much air BF cabs can shift for their size and weight, the horn on my Big Twin T blew on the second gig. I ended up returning it. I was probably just unlucky, as was Ed Friedland in this instance.

3 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't think the weight was an issue, who wants a rattly bass cab? Probably something simple and easily fixed once opened up but why would you if you had an Aguilar and Ampeg to hand.

Ah, I made the mistake of mentioning ‘heavy’ in a thread about Barefaced. I meant tonally. Interesting  to see the perils of hired gear permeate through to the pros! I’d have gone with the Aggie every time, the logo’s much prettier. 

Rattles are most annoying, irrespective of the brand. I can get why Ed changed cabs.

Its probably an annoying speaker rattle rather than the cab itself. If these are hire stock, it's probably fair to assume that they've been significantly thraped. Guess that there's always the argument that the brand that survives in hire stock is testament to its build quality... but to be fair, give a cab to a meathead - and they will be able to damage it somehow.

One of my Subway cabs had an annoying rattle that seemed to defy any attempt at diagnosis. Eventually, Mesa accepted that the speaker was at fault and shipped over another one. I had bought the cab from the Gallery and it was agreed that the swap would take place on a Saturday.

I duly drove up and the original speaker was removed (it was a seriously tight fit). Lo and behold the reason was immediately clear. The guy stapling in the insulation had evidently refilled his staple gun during the process and a block of 3 staples were attached to the magnet and vibrating on the cone! I chose to keep the original speaker and was allowed to keep the (unnecessary) spare.

So, I have a brand new and boxed 15" speaker in case I ever need it. Brilliant customer service from the Gallery, the guy came in on the Saturday morning on the the day he was going on holiday and Mesa Boogie for sending over the speaker and letting me keep it. Not sure I'll ever need it but there you go ...........

Edited by Steve Browning
Typos
  • Like 2