Why become a member? ×

Low budget Basses which are worth owning.

TheGreek

Following on from my question about Aria basses really - should also include Washburns but I haven't tried one since owning a ABT Force in the late 80s.

I look at lots of basses, prices are all over the place. Some you question why they even bother to cut down the tree, others you think are a steal.

I often wonder why we don't have a list of budget Basses which are worth MORE than they sell for.

My contribution: Bass Collection Nanyo and Westone Thunder range.

Others?

Edited by TheGreek

5 minutes ago, Rumple said:

I've got a couple of SX basses that I prefer playing to any of my other decidedly more expensive basses, both cost a little over £100.

There's one on Gumtree for £65 ATM

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/sx-bass-guitar-red.-4-string/1284552627

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

Another budget SS is the Squier Jaguar. Great basses for the money, s/h around £125 ish.

Ah yeah, these are ridiculously nice for the money. Almost an impulse buy at that price. I almost got one but I didn't love the cheap feel of the neck. The neck dimensions and overall playability is so good though, it's still worth buying. Keep thinking I should go back and just buy one. 

As the Westone Thunders have already been mentioned my vote would be the Washburn Scavenger.  I love double cutaway basses and I felt the proportions of this were just right.  Weighed far too much, approaching 11lbs, otherwise I would still have mine.

Close second would be the made in USA Peavey Fury - an aggressive P bass with one of the nicest, slim Jazz width necks I have played.

Yamaha BB425 must be worth a mention - the low B feels like an instrument costing 3 times as much.

All £200+/- secondhand.

9 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I love these posts that say "My XX bass is fantastic. Brilliant value, best neck I've ever played, etc, etc. Now for sale in the Marketplace"...

Think I'm probably not the only one on here who has had to sell a great instrument when finances dictate it?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, casapete said:

Think I'm probably not the only one on here who has had to sell a great instrument when finances dictate it?

And let's be honest, people move on decent gear all the time for a variety of reasons.  The classifieds section wouldn't work if it was only sub par gear! 

one man's meat and all that, I sold a Stingray, nothing wrong with it just not my thing, I sort of told a porky, said I was joining a Clash tribute and needed a Precision which was half true, I just wanted a Precision, still got it, gas has disappeared, thankfully, but I do think it's over the top to say "best bass I've ever played but need to thin the herd" well sell one of the others then!

• Like 1