Why become a member? ×

Low budget Basses which are worth owning.

TheGreek

On 03/02/2018 at 23:29, steantval said:

Anyone had experience of the Tokai basses ?

I had a Tokai Jazz Sound back in the day, very nice bass indeed, defretted it then years later had it fretted again by Bernie Goodfellow when he had a shop in Thorton Heath, I sold it when I gave up playing for a while.

I have a Peavey Zodaic, the short lived mid spec one between the basic BXP model and the highest spec Dave Ellefson signature model. Bought it new around 10 to 12 years ago for less than £200. The neck is super slim (it makes Ibanez necks feel like tree trunks xD ) and the build quality are hardware and faultless. It's still stock other than a Dimarzio model P pickup (and disabling the bridge pup). The only issue that I've had with it is that it needed a fret level on the upper most frets after a few years. Other than that is has been great. I regularly gig it alongside my other (£1K+) basses. 

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 00:28, casapete said:

Another budget SS is the Squier Jaguar. Great basses for the money, s/h around £125 ish.

Been looking for one of these Pete but they seem to be 'intermittent' in terms of when they turn up.  Seems like a nice back up to my Mustang, which is also an Indonesian build and has been fairly decent.  All of these 'off-set' shortscale jobbies seem to have jumped up in price and desirability at the moment, god knows why... 

What is low budget as opposed to regular budget?  We talking about Stagg , Chord etc. i.e under £200?  All my basses (and electric guitars) cost me less than £500 new;  Aria Pro II IGB Integra, Sub Ray 4, Cort GB 74 and B4FL, Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 and a Vintage V940 fretless. All for keeps and I've nowt negative to say about any of them

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Didn't Fender buy Tokai and it evolved into the Squire brand?

No, Tokai weren't bought by anyone, they are still going.

Squier were bought by fender in 1965 when they were an american guitar company, although obviously the manufacture elsewhere. They were mostly dormant between 65 and 82, when they started squier doing guitars again, mostly because of the threats of people like Tokai in the late 70s.

My Taiwanese-made Yamaha BB604 cost me £200 s/h on here. Bought it as a cheapy spare, but it punches well above its weight.

Really good build quality, high output and versatile range of sounds.

In terms of value for money it's the best bass I've got and it's not going anywhere.

No mention for J&D? https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-JB-Vintage-1975-BK-Black/art-BAS0004370-000

I paid £119 for mine (brand new) about three years ago. OK, I've made a few mods, but the only one that wasn't purely out of personal choice was the pickups. One of the originals developed a fault so I put some Toneriders in. I still gig the bass, and until I got my Maruszczyk (in December) it was my first choice, go-to bass. Seriously good value for money and one of the nicest necks I've played.

Image may contain: 1 person

Edited by Conan
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Conan said:

No mention for J&D? https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-JB-Vintage-1975-BK-Black/art-BAS0004370-000

I paid £119 for mine (brand new) about three years ago. OK, I've made a few mods, but the only one that wasn't purely out of personal choice was the pickups. One of the originals developed a fault so I put some Toneriders in. I still gig the bass, and until I got my Maruszczyk (in December) it was my first choice, go-to bass. Seriously good value for money and one of the nicest necks I've played.

Good shout on the J&D, I played one that @Thunderbird had and it was superb, as you say the neck is great. 

There's an awful lot of great stuff out there for cheap nowadays, you don't need thousands to get great guitars. I'll namedrop two cheap Ibanez's which I personally think were unbelievable value; a GSR (I think 180), which having not played for four years, I was delighted to find played wonderfully, except for a slightly dodgy input connection problem, and a recently acquired acoustic bass; PCBE12MH-OPN, which I just cannot believe was £180, pretty damn good for an acoustic bass.

8 hours ago, Conan said:

Love the sea foam or surf green, purple pick guard and block inlays.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No, Tokai weren't bought by anyone, they are still going.

Squier were bought by fender in 1965 when they were an american guitar company, although obviously the manufacture elsewhere. They were mostly dormant between 65 and 82, when they started squier doing guitars again, mostly because of the threats of people like Tokai in the late 70s.

Well I remember reading something about how Fender felt threatened buy the high quality of the Tokai copies. 

I'm probably the biggest fan of  MIJ . If I ever see a Tokai bass I'm buying it on the spot.

Blue

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Well I remember reading something about how Fender felt threatened buy the high quality of the Tokai copies. 

Not as threatened as Gibson were!

24 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm probably the biggest fan of  MIJ . If I ever see a Tokai bass I'm buying it on the spot.

I was tempted:

12 hours ago, martthebass said:

Been looking for one of these Pete but they seem to be 'intermittent' in terms of when they turn up.  Seems like a nice back up to my Mustang, which is also an Indonesian build and has been fairly decent.  All of these 'off-set' shortscale jobbies seem to have jumped up in price and desirability at the moment, god knows why... 

Wish I'd known Mart, you could have had mine. Impulse buy and then stupidly impulse sold it!

If I see a s/h one anywhere I'll give you a shout. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/02/2018 at 22:00, Bluewine said:

Blue

Don't suppose you know the a significance of the model numbers e.g going from JB 45 to 60 to 85 etc? 

One would assume they have better hardware as numbers increase but assumptions can be dangerous....

On 2/5/2018 at 11:48, Barking Spiders said:

What is low budget as opposed to regular budget?  We talking about Stagg , Chord etc. i.e under £200?  All my basses (and electric guitars) cost me less than £500 new;  Aria Pro II IGB Integra, Sub Ray 4, Cort GB 74 and B4FL, Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 and a Vintage V940 fretless. All for keeps and I've nowt negative to say about any of them

yeah i'd say anything under £200 is budget, new or used, some crazy bargains to be had out there, i'd always look second hand for anything under 200

Edited by skidder652003

I have one of these incoming, £190. By far the cheapest bass I've ever owned. 

I've been deliberating over it for ages, I have a mild short-scale phobia (worried I'll lose my ability to play normal basses), and I normally shy away from Chinese stuff, but I kept going back to the shop to play this one, played it on 3 separate occasions and I honestly couldn't find anything wrong with it. Setup is great, action is low, intonation is fine, it's light, it's basically absolutely fine. I initially preferred the Mex Mustang PJ (still prefer how it looks tbh), but the lack of upper register access is a major issue with those basses. Tone-wise, weirdly, even with the crap pickups I prefer the Jaguar to the Mustang. I'm short so the dimensions of this bass are perfect for me, probably more so than regular basses if I'm honest.

Having said that, it's getting a new pair of pickups (Quarter Pounder PJ) and a set of tapewounds. The new pickups and tapewound strings will cost more than the bass itself. Also in an ideal world I would like a much higher quality maple neck with a maple board, but despite endless searching, I haven't found anyone willing to make me one, so I'll stick with it as it is for now. 

jag_bass_black.jpg

Edited by project_c