Why become a member? ×

Low budget Basses which are worth owning.

TheGreek

All the really low priced basses I try are way too heavy and because I'm only looking at 5 string basses I also find a lot of not-so-good B strings.

I recently tried a couple of Sire V7 5ers. I thought they sounded good and were very easy to play but sadly their weight makes them a non starter for me.

Many years ago when I was a six string guitarist before moving over to bass, I did own a couple of Tokai guitars, Les Paul and Strat copies, really great instruments at a good price compared to the Gibson and Fender prices.

I know they produced some of the classic bass copies and I would assume these were priced quite low, not sure how much they now command on the secondhand market.

Anyone had experience of the Tokai basses ?

Edited by steantval

10 hours ago, steantval said:

Many years ago when I was a six string guitarist before moving over to bass, I did own a couple of Tokai guitars, Les Paul and Strat copies, really great instruments at a good price compared to the Gibson and Fender prices.

I know they produced some of the classic bass copies and I would assume these were priced quite low, not sure how much they now command on the secondhand market.

As with the guitars, some of the early Tokai basses were particularly good. The P-bass (Hard Puncher) I had was

a cracker, as good if not better than the USA Fenders at the time.

2 minutes ago, RandomBass said:

I'd suggest the Vintage V4. I've owned a couple and both were solid, reliable great sounding instruments. My Tony Butler version looked particularly lovely in gloss black and maple board. 

Agreed. Only reason I sold mine was it's weight, bit on the chunky side for me. Great for the money though.:)

23 hours ago, casapete said:

Think I'm probably not the only one on here who has had to sell a great instrument when finances dictate it?

Of course, but that is not an everyday occurrence. My point was that a lot of it is really blatant/transparent. There are many on here (no names, no pack-drill) who are dealers and it gets a bit tiresome reading how everything they are selling is the greatest bass ever, they're only selling it to "thin the herd", GAS has got the better of them, etc, etc. Cut the b/s, folks. We're onto it.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Used Yamaha basses can be had for peanuts, and to my mind represent almost unbeatable VFM.

Agreed - in fact, have Yamaha ever made anything crap?

Years ago had a BB300 that was bottom of the range and fantastic, especially for the money.

The Vintage basses was partly why I started this thread. I see loads on eBay for ridiculous low prices but they look really good and I hadn't heard any negative remarks about them.

The VM Squiers are another bass you see on eBay for sub £200 - I was under the impression that the later ones weren't as good as their predecessors. 

There seems to be lots of love for the Tokai Hard Punchers as you rarely see these for less than £700 nowadays - how good are the less well known models?

I can offer up the OLP basses, especially the Tony Levin model, stupidly good bass to a few hundred pounds!

I also think the Fender Precision Lyte is a hugely undervalued bass although asking prices for good examples are now starting to look a bit optimistic at times!

57 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

I also think the Fender Precision Lyte is a hugely undervalued bass although asking prices for good examples are now starting to look a bit optimistic at times!

Totally agree - great MIJ Fenders that you can still pick up s/h for around the £300 mark, and worth every penny.

16 hours ago, chris_b said:

All the really low priced basses I try are way too heavy and because I'm only looking at 5 string basses I also find a lot of not-so-good B strings.

I recently tried a couple of Sire V7 5ers. I thought they sounded good and were very easy to play but sadly their weight makes them a non starter for me.

have you tried an old Korean made Cort A/B/C series? Lightweight with a decent B string, I got my C5 for £90.

On 2/3/2018 at 17:29, steantval said:

Didn't Fender buy Tokai and it evolved into the Squire brand?

Blue