Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

February's Composition Challenge is now underway!

Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, Bleat… 

one.man.band.again.jpg&key=768ab61d6c946

Rules:

1. Avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.
  2. Make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds and samples in your track.
  3. Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition.
  4. No bagpipes. Seriously.

The deadline for entries is midnight on Wednesday 21st February.

Edited by Skol303

2 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

I'm liking the pic.  :D

Yeah it's a great one!

So, after studying the pic I'm thinking of a solo cello mimicking the left hand on the piano with a viola (not sure if it's a viola or a violin in the pic but I'm going with viola) mimicking the right hand of the piano. The violin and the trumpet should be performing a duet but not overlapping as the guy's only got one pair of hands. No wait, he's got some contraption hooked up to the trumpet button things (don't laugh, I can't think of the word) so that means they can play at the same time. Right, all that machinery is going to create some whirring, clanking and ticking. I think I'm set :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mornats said:

Yeah it's a great one!

So, after studying the pic I'm thinking of a solo cello mimicking the left hand on the piano with a viola (not sure if it's a viola or a violin in the pic but I'm going with viola) mimicking the right hand of the piano. The violin and the trumpet should be performing a duet but not overlapping as the guy's only got one pair of hands. No wait, he's got some contraption hooked up to the trumpet button things (don't laugh, I can't think of the word) so that means they can play at the same time. Right, all that machinery is going to create some whirring, clanking and ticking. I think I'm set :)

I swapped my NI S88 for a Roli Rise last week.  I've been sitting here for the past hour & a bit just going through sounds that match what's in the pic.

I've got a great double bass sound, a good solo violin & other strings & a great selection of brass instruments (though there's a pretty good brassy reed instrument that might get the place).  I'm toying with going for a lekky piano, though the acoustic pianos that I have are pretty good.

18 hours ago, xgsjx said:

I swapped my NI S88 for a Roli Rise last week. 

I've had a play on one of those and it was really interesting. I'd never have thought it would replace a more traditional keyboard though.

Also, I'm sticking with trumpet buttons as it makes me smile :) 

1 hour ago, Mornats said:

I've had a play on one of those and it was really interesting. I'd never have thought it would replace a more traditional keyboard though.

Also, I'm sticking with trumpet buttons as it makes me smile :) 

2 years ago I was gonna get a Rise 25.  Had a couple of plays on it & everyone, from the dad in law to the guys in music shops all said "You don't want that as your main keyboard", so I got the S88.
As great as the S88 was, the Rise is much better for me.  It can be used like a keyboard, but it just opens up expression much more & screams to be played.

I wish I wouldn't have listened to anyone back then & just got the Rise.

My focus was initially @Dad3353 as he seems to be adept at building things out of anything , then of course @Leonard Smalls as this would appear to be some sort of random funk fabrication 

but no , now my focus is drifting to my grandads shed (and he had a less inspirational vocal tone than my very own), but a way of putting things together that normally required my dad to sort out :D

• Like 1