Why become a member? ×

Bass heaven, bass hell

Barking Spiders

Bass heaven - bass sounds, techniques, lines, specific players whatever that make you go aaaahhhh!!!

Bass hell - ditto the above that make you go aaaarrrrgh !!!

But just one nom for each .For starters...

heaven - the whole of the bass line on Forget Me Nots. It's all there for me; tone, phrasing, feel, the whole kit n' caboodle

hell - trebly galloping basslines

• Like 1

Bass Heaven - chest-rattling lows, that new string zing, simple basslines which give the song life, intricate basslines which which give the song life

Bass Hell - when slap meets pop and it makes a sound which is heard, look-at-me-I-can-play-lots-of-notes-all-the-time

• Like 2

Heaven- tasteful playing that suits the song,  inventive sounds that are supportive to the mood of the song and provide movement towards the next part. Chunky necks on a p bass. Bc rich. Passive basses

Hell- 'look at me' playing, showboating in an inappropriate point of a song.  Victor Wooten . Jazz basses and j pups without anything else. Boutique basses that are just copies of other mainstream instruments. Active basses- 

Edited by dudewheresmybass

Heaven - really locking in with the drummer and creating fantastic dynamics.

Hell - pentatonic walking / galloping basslines. Never ever liked playing them. Theyre designed to make you dance, relax and move, but i cant play them without being frozen to the spot. Never enjoyed playing songs like that.

21 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Heaven - Drummers who can play and understand the relationship between drum and bass.

Hell - Drummers that can't count, can't play in time, follow the vocals rather than beats or time and make it up as they go making it different every time.

Holy Mother of God, this plus about a billion. Very fortunate at the moment to be playing with a pro drummer who is just on it the whole time. Makes my job a delightful breeze. But when you get a drummer who is, er... less than stellar, it makes bass playing a dreadful, miserable ordeal.

Obviously trying to migrate to Europe in a flimsy rubber dinghy with no food or water after your family has been killed by government forces is a lot worse, but we're talking bass playing here...

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bonzodog said:

Bass Heaven - Finally bringing home from the shop the bass you've been dreaming of for months and plugging it in for the first time

Bass Hell- The following day when you're bored of it and already looking for something else.

And that is the very definition of GAS. :D

• Haha 1