Why become a member? ×

Are Markbass cabs now considered a bit rubbish?

Wolverinebass

On 2/6/2018 at 11:14, Wolverinebass said:

That's really interesting Chris as I didn't know that about bergantino. I have to ask, have you ever played a TX600? It's woeful and Hartke have cooked the books on the watts. I'd never play one in setting where I had a choice even if it was free. A mate of mine bought one and he sent it back. I honestly didn't believe him until I played the thing myself. Utter Crap.

I totally disagree with this assessment of the TX600. See my post here: (Post 9 on P.2).

1 hour ago, arthurhenry said:

I totally disagree with this assessment of the TX600. See my post here: (Post 9 on P.2).

If it works for you squire I'm happy for you. You have an amp you like. Everyone's needs are different.

I just think the wattage has been cooked up as I tried it against my Hartke HA5500. That was much, much louder and it's only 500w by comparison. Personally, I think it's a 300w amp as you have to redline it to get some volume out of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

If it works for you squire I'm happy for you. You have an amp you like. Everyone's needs are different.

I just think the wattage has been cooked up as I tried it against my Hartke HA5500. That was much, much louder and it's only 500w by comparison. Personally, I think it's a 300w amp as you have to redline it to get some volume out of it.

You're close! Bass Player's review revealed it to have a 400w power section. As I said , for me it easily matches my LH500, so I'm happy.

• Like 1

It seems the OP in the thread you referred to was raising the exact same concern about the Hartke?

On 16/10/2016 at 18:40, TheDaivisch said:

Hmm. Volume. This is, unfortunately, what has lead me to decide to send the unit back and now consider getting the much heavier, less feature laden LH1000...This "600 watt" amp is significantly, noticably, frustratingly quieter than the 500 watt Genz Benz. It sounds like what I'd imagine an amp with 300 watts would sound like in terms of volume. To confound matters, the volume has a very annoying way of suddenly jumping up in volume beyond around 2'o'clock. Beyond that, when pushed, it started to sound boxy and compressed/stressed and still could not keep up with the Genz, whose volume increases in a far more linear fashion and without farting out through the range of the volume dial. On both the Hartke and Genz I pushed the preamp up to the point when it starts overdriving and then just backed off so it stayed clean to make it a fair test. I've owned Genz Shuttle 6.2s, 9.2s and GBE750s and these all were VASTLY louder. Disappointing... Very disappointing. It makes me wonder if Hartke are being a bit "creative" with their power ratings...someone with more amp related knowledge may be able to comment...

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It seems the OP in the thread you referred to was raising the exact same concern about the Hartke?

Hartke changed the volume control to be more linear on the second batch of amps. I had many concerns about the TX after reading many negative reviews, but I've had the opposite experience to others. It's a very loud amp. I posted a video clip in the other thread.

9 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Hartke changed the volume control to be more linear on the second batch of amps. I had many concerns about the TX after reading many negative reviews, but I've had the opposite experience to others. It's a very loud amp. I posted a video clip in the other thread.

Aha. Ok thanks.

And here's the $64 million Q - do the Harkte cabs now make Markbass ones seem a little rubbish? (See what I did there?) xD 

• Like 1

I recently bought a Markbass Std 121HR to replace my Barefaced One10's as my small rig. I've done 2 gigs and a jam night with it and I'm very very happy with it.

Amongst various other previous Markbass cabs (all the single 12's for instance), I used to own 2 Club 121's which I kind of regretted moving on. The Std 121HR is very similar in design and sounds even better than I remember the Clubs sounding.

I like it in kickback mode too.

4 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

I recently bought a Markbass Std 121HR to replace my Barefaced One10's as my small rig. I've done 2 gigs and a jam night with it and I'm very very happy with it.

Amongst various other previous Markbass cabs (all the single 12's for instance), I used to own 2 Club 121's which I kind of regretted moving on. The Std 121HR is very similar in design and sounds even better than I remember the Clubs sounding.

The new Markbass Marcus Miller cabs are kickback too...  I was playing with the MM STD102 on Saturday.  I've personally never been a big fan of 2 x 10s, but it's got way more bottom end than either the old STD or TRV 2 x 10s

I think the NY122 is a vastly under-used cab too...  being 4ohm, its a really compact punchy single cab solution...

4 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

That's certainly interesting. I have an old style MB Traveller 121H cab and thinking about replacing it with a couple of BF one10 cabs, thinking that I can get away with a single one10 for rehearsal and small gigs and use two for louder gigs.

Can I ask why you've moved from BF to MB?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

That's certainly interesting. I have an old style MB Traveller 121H cab and thinking about replacing it with a couple of BF one10 cabs, thinking that I can get away with a single one10 for rehearsal and small gigs and use two for louder gigs.

Can I ask why you've moved from BF to MB?

Well..., I loved the tone at home but they were too dark on a gig with my Quilter BB800 (and too small for my Markbass TTE801!)

Also I could never rely on them to carry a room. They're very loud but in certain rooms they "run out of breath" like in carpeted acoustically dead rooms IME. I'm sure others will disagree but that was my experience.

Edited by Opticaleye
bad writing
  • Like 1