Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones 100w cub

farmer61

I tried with bass guitar and double bass.  Its a great little thing but I couldn't use it for anything but the smallest gigs with the most attentive of audiences.  May work better if you can DI into a house PA etc but I couldn't make it work..especially if it was a venue I didn't know well in advance.  My best experience was with an acoustic bass guitar - it was easy to tuck behind the chair so it was invisible, and it actually felt like the bass was making a good acoustic sound (which it can't do!).

• Like 1

I used to rehearse with mine where there was an electronic drum kit and it was just about OK.  However, with an acoustic kit it would've been lost completely.  At a gig, it'd be fine as a monitor if you use the DI out into the PA.  Great sounding practice amp, it really retains the nuances of the instrument's tone, especially piezo equipped basses.

• Like 1

I did lots of gigs with it's smaller cousin the PJB Double 4. It was absolutely fine. That was jazz and solo bass stuff, some ambient ensemble stuff too, that does get a bit loud at times. They're very fussy with placement, ideally they need to be in a corner, or by a wall, so they have something to bounce off.

The smaller PJB combos are OK when other instruments are acoustic, but once electricity enters the equation, they don't quite cut it in my experience. I had the Flightcase (4x5" speakers, 150w). Fine sounding but needed help when playing with electric guitars, drums, etc. Sold it and got a couple of C4 cabs and use them with a lightweight head. Good for up to medium volume and moderate drums but after that, it's back to old school cabs.