Why become a member? ×

Cab configuration

MDWagstaff

Hello there,

I'm changing my cab set up in the not too distant future and wanted your input to configurations. For the last 8 years I've been using a Zoot 1x15 as my main cab, a very nice one but I feel like it's time for a change and it's time to expand my set up.

In terms of style I mostly play rock however this ranges from 50's rock and roll to modern prog, I"m also playing functions regularly so need it to be able to suit playing pop as well. 

I've narrowed it down to either:

Two 2x12 cabs

2x12 and 1x15

2x10 and 1x15

I can't go with anything bigger than a 2 speaker cab due to needing to be able to fit a drum kit in my tiny car, also I've played through several 4x10's before and never really been a fan.

So what's everyone's thoughts? Pro's/con's of each set up?

What is your budget? What amp are you using? How loud do you play? Have you reached the limits of your Zoot cab? Do you use a DI or mic your cab? Are you expanding because you want to or are you playing louder and need to?

If a standard 115 (assuming 8 ohm) has been good for so long, just adding a 210 will be the simplest and cheapest solution.

With 1 good 212 you shouldn't need to keep the 115 at all. The 115 won't add much in that set up because a good 212 can do everything you need on its own. Upgrading to 2 212's will be like chopping in your Ford Focus for a Ferrari.

You could get another, better, 115 and replace like for like but if space is a limiting issue then I'd be looking at 1 or 2 of the smaller, more powerful 112's.

It'd all depend on your budget, but I'd echo the comments above - these days a good 212 (or 2 112s) will cover an awful lot of ground  - Barefaced, Berg, Vanderkley, TKS, etc are all popular around these parts, and for good reasons...

I play in a busy function band covering all sorts of genres, and also in a loud (2x Marshall half stack) rawk band, and a single 38lb BF 212 cab does it all for me.

2x12 is a good option.  2 2x12 is fine for big gigs where you need volume & have no PA.

2x10 or 2x12 and a 1x15 is going to give you random sound.  Not a good idea, though some get on with it.  Even in the one room you'll find you can stand at different parts of the room & it'll sound different.

2 1x15 is another good option, so is 2 2x10.

I used a 210 and 115 for 10 years. No random sound there. You can mix cabs and they will work.

My point about 15's is that the design of drivers and cabs for bass has improved so much in the last 10 years that the traditional reasons for 15's (adding low end to your sound) is no longer relevant.

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

It is inaccurate to say that they never work.

No engineer worth paying attention to ever said that. What they would have said is that while mixing cabs always works, identical cabs usually work better. They'd also point out that note that any cab that doesn't give you the tone you want by itself isn't worth having at all.

I foolishly sold my single Purple Chili 112 (the current name for Zoot) and regretted it enormously. They are amazing cabs for the price. Fortunately I managed to get a pair and I don't think I'll ever want to swap. If you're just changing for the sake of a change be prepared to regret your decision B|

52 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I foolishly sold my single Purple Chili 112 (the current name for Zoot) and regretted it enormously. They are amazing cabs for the price. Fortunately I managed to get a pair and I don't think I'll ever want to swap. If you're just changing for the sake of a change be prepared to regret your decision B|

I currently actually use a Zoot 1x15 haha, I've messaged Mike today regarding the purple chili 212's so that may be something in the pipeline for the not too distant future. 

One of my big reasons for changing is because I'm not getting enough clarity/definition out of my single 15. I find 10" speakers when not paired with a bigger speaker to harsh sounding so I'm thinking 12's will probably be the way to go. 

Additionally, for the vast majority of gig's I'd be using a single cab, it's only for the bigger shows I'd opt for 2.

You've all given me a lot to think about 

13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

It's a very general statement that (all) 10's sound brash.

IMO you've been listening to the wrong 10's.

I've had Mesa Boogie, Epifani, Bergantino and Barefaced 10's that didn't sound like that at all.

It may be a general statement, however this isn't a case of using 1 cab with 10" speakers, this has been the case of every cab with 10" I've used to date. Granted I've yet to try the brands you've mentioned as I don't have access to them to try so they could sway my opinion.

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'm not referring to engineers but the guys who see a qualified comment from an engineer and repeat it in an unqualified way ad nauseam.

So you're obviously referring to me.  Not a very nice comment from you that, is it.

I Speak from experience of having used a 2x10 with a 1x15 & finding that some venues it could sound great at one part of the audience & not so good at another.  It varied.

I wasn't having a go at you in any way,  I had already stated that some combinations of 2x10 & 1x15 work well for some people, just that 2 of the same cab is a more secure option.

I`ve found that all of the 210/115 set-ups I`ve had have sounded great, but the great sound I got was a sum of both cabs, with neither able to replicate said sound on its own. For that reason I now stick to a 410 with dragging out a 210 from the same make/range for bigger gigs. Doesn`t make - from experience so far - any significant change to the sound, just more of it and at an easier to hear height.