Why become a member? ×

Recommend a reverb?

uk_lefty

I would like to get a reverb pedal for my fretless. The idea being to add some subtle "swell" and more fullness when I want to play something melodic. I am looking at the more compact pedals due to space available and I don't want to spend much. However, I don't want to buy a guitar pedal that won't cut the mustard on bass. So does anyone have any recommendations? 

Thanks!

The MXR reverb is a pretty special pedal. The Dynaverb is also a nice option.With regards to guitar reverb pedals on bass, you are going to be ok because reverb is reverb. If the reverb is high passed, that actually a good thing because putting reverb on the lows, it just ends with mush.

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

The MXR reverb is a pretty special pedal. The Dynaverb is also a nice option.With regards to guitar reverb pedals on bass, you are going to be ok because reverb is reverb. If the reverb is high passed, that actually a good thing because putting reverb on the lows, it just ends with mush.

Reverb is one of my favourite effects and I use it all the time when playing at home, so much so that when I play bass through my headphones without reverb sounds really weird.

I agree a reverb with a high and low cutoff can be useful - I actually like adding it to the lows and cutting the highs for some applications, it creates a nice warm soundscape. I haven't ever used it live.

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Thanks all. I have my eye on a small HOF. Didn't know if any of the cheaper lesser known brands on fleabay would be up to much, but they're all pot luck on quality I guess. Suppose with the HOF it's a "set and forget"?

I find some of the cheaper reverbs have a rather metallic tone. Hall of Fame/HoF has a very warm tone that I've always loved. Even with the HoF you have access to Tone Print so you can tailor the tone to suit you.

Anyone tried the MXR? I'm quite interested because I'm after something that will allow an expression pedal to control the decay time and I'm surprised at how few choices there are (i.e TC, Strymon most of the Earthquaker pedals, Keeley, Neunaber don't have it). Boss do , but I wasn't keen on the RV6 when I had it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
7 hours ago, itu said:

Nimbus has HP and LP filters, so you can narrow or move the reverb's frequency band to your specs. Taylor has nowadays two models, i.e. there is an S.E. version available.

https://ironether.com/pedals/nimbus/

https://ironether.com/pedals/nimbus-se/

This. 

Hands down my favourite reberb pedal. And I've had a few!! 

The way you can go from subtal flavours to rich layering textures, and everythingin between, is just fantastic. 

I have two. I could be tempted to let one go if your interested as I now have a helix.... 

10 hours ago, GisserD said:

I have two. I could be tempted to let one go if your interested as I now have a helix....

Thank you for a kind offer, I do have the basic version, that works like a dream. Bought it from Taylor.

On top of it i have an Oxide (might sell this), a FrantaBit, a Divaricator and a Xerograph Deluxe. Quite a work to find the sounds needed as they offer a big palette of very different noises.