Why become a member? ×

New Basses Day - Spector content

Damonjames

Ok, probably around 2 years ago I bought my first stingray 5, and it was a revelation. I decided that I was going to transition to playing 5ers full time, so I sold all my basses (including my previos go to bass a Spector euro) and bought a stingray 5 HS so I would have a spare, and to have some extra versatility. 

These two basses have served me well, and I thought it had cured GAS, until I woke up one day after a gig with sciatic pain from my lower back through to the back of my knee 😮. It took a couple of weeks to figure out that it was only after playing gigs that this would flair up, and could only put it down to the weight of the ‘rays (10.5 lbs each five or take). So I made the drastic descision to switch back to 4 strings, and today saw these two lovely ladies arrive. 

I have had limited time on them tonight, but they are just amazing. The fit, feel, weight and tone are perfect, familiar but new at the same time. 

I am still getting used to no low B, and wider string spacing which will no doubt take a bit but so far couldn’t be happier with the choice. I had forgotten how great these basses really are!!!

1C4D7C25-EB25-4567-9BF8-3096407AA53C.png

03F1E50A-3FDC-4FFE-80E2-C5F5AC98E9F0.jpeg

D3241CF6-C41B-483E-8B0E-2E18CC5ABEE4.jpeg

• Like 3

Funny you mention it Paul, I currently have the plum stain one tuned BEAD for tonight’s gig to help with some of the songs where I used to use the low B. 

It is managing with standard gauge string ok, but doesn’t sound amazing. Thicker string and longer scale would sound amazing. Don’t start me GASSING!!!!

548DAA49-AC80-4D66-A352-09D7C19D96AB.jpeg

Funny you mention it Paul, I currently have the plum stain one tuned BEAD for tonight’s gig to help with some of the songs where I used to use the low B. 

It is managing with standard gauge string ok, but doesn’t sound amazing. Thicker string and longer scale would sound amazing. Don’t start me GASSING!!!!

• 11 months later...

It’s so funny, today of all days @Billy Apple has liked a post from this thread...

i am seriously evaluating my position with my current stable, including a rebop 4 that is not pictures above. I have been longing for a 5 string for MONTHS but for one reason or another have not been able to close out a deal. I have even considered the dreaded “W” word...

Re reading this thread has made me smile, and reminded me of the simple pleasure these bases provide. When you have them on hand, I guess it’s easy to take them for granted. 

Cheers Billy!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Damonjames said:

It’s so funny, today of all days @Billy Apple has liked a post from this thread...

i am seriously evaluating my position with my current stable, including a rebop 4 that is not pictures above. I have been longing for a 5 string for MONTHS but for one reason or another have not been able to close out a deal. I have even considered the dreaded “W” word...

Re reading this thread has made me smile, and reminded me of the simple pleasure these bases provide. When you have them on hand, I guess it’s easy to take them for granted. 

Cheers Billy!!

Well, believe it or not, I'd just put a 'Spector' search into the Bass forum and read through a few old threads.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2018 at 23:03, Damonjames said:

I woke up one day after a gig with sciatic pain from my lower back through to the back of my knee 😮. It took a couple of weeks to figure out that it was only after playing gigs that this would flair up, and could only put it down to the weight of the ‘rays (10.5 lbs each five or take). So I made the drastic descision to switch back to 4 strings,

26 minutes ago, Damonjames said:

I have been longing for a 5 string for MONTHS but for one reason or another have not been able to close out a deal

I think you'd like my NS5XL Forte Helium. 8.5lbs ☺️

imageproxy.jpg

Lovely bass ^^^

I think Spectors really are the best kept secret in the world of bass. When I got my Euro and plugged it in for the first time, it was like a revelation. Everything just fell into place, MASSIVE sound, great ergonomics and everything just felt "right". Believe me, I've gone through 30+ basses in the 35 years I've been playing and they really are the best basses I've ever played.

I'm currently on the lookout for a 4 string Spector too, which I think will be my final bass purchase. The 4 and 5 sting Euros really are all I'll need for the 4 bands I'm in at the moment.

• Like 1