Why become a member? ×

Why is there so much choice

tom23a

Hello All,

I'm a beginner bass moving to the intermediate status and I'm looking to invest in a new bass. Within my budget I have narrowed down my choice to the Sterling by music man sub ray 4, Ibanez SR300EB or the Epiphone thunderbird. WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHOOSE???????? I have watched so many reviews I'm all of a kerfuffle. I eventually want to play rock/metal with a bit of jazz and country. What should I get? are there other Basses I'm not looking at?..........HELP!

My thoughts on this are split somewhat, into two areas:

1 - get the one that plays the best

2 - get the one that you like the sound of most

Re no 2, for years I chased a specific sound, could never get it from any of the basses I had, got near sure, but there was always something lacking and in all honesty I thought it could be me. Then I bought a Precision and it finally clicked. All my fave bassists played them, I was trying to get similar, but for some reason had never bought one.

If all your fave bassists play a certain bass, and they`re your inspiration, having a bass that will generate the same tones should push you on. Sure you need the same amps/cabs/effects to sound exactly like them, but if all your fave players play Stingrays then the Thunderbird isn`t really going to aid you in sounding like them, which could be a hindrance.

Welcome Tom

Personally I'd wait a bit, take in the London Bass Guitar Show where you'll have access to lots of equipment, some in your budget, some you may never get to try in any shop. I've just started a thread about cheap basses which are great value for money. There are several on here covering the same subject which will make your decision harder unfortunately but you could be wiser for reading them.

One thing is almost certain, joining this forum will mean you spend more money on more gear than you ever thought you needed. xD

Welcome-Image.gif

• Like 1

On 01/02/2018 at 15:50, T-Bay said:

There is a good place in Leamington I think but I haven’t used it personally.

That'll be Bass Direct in Leamington. Many on here speak very highly of Mark and his team there. I've only been once (so far) ... but it's bass heaven. Worth having a look at their website, but TheGreek makes a good suggestion about going to the Bass Show in London, if you can make it. 

Three other thoughts...

1) Music Store Pro in Hanley seems to have some Epiphones in stock, but none of the others you've mentioned. 

2) The Guitar Show at Bingley Hall in Birmingham (24th/25th Feb) will have some bass representation, although I don't know how much. 

3) Guitar Guitar has a store in Birmingham, and normally carry a decent range of basses. I haven't been to that particular store, but have generally found them helpful. They can also shift stock from one branch to another, although typically for a small (refundable) deposit. 

Good luck and good hunting! 

Bass Direct is a good place, but I don't remember seeing any Epiphones or Gibsons there, and very few Fenders. My impression is that they focus on the smaller manufacturers, with some very interesting and attractive basses, but such things don't come cheap. As a Fender player, I have enjoyed a couple of visits there, but all I have bought from them so far is a strap and some strings. Very helpful and knowledgeable owner & staff, even if you are only buying strings!

Happy Jack and I visited Bass Direct a couple of years ago and loved it. I agree with Finndave about the lack of Fenders - personally, I didn't miss them.  Fenders are so bloody ubiquitous everywhere else, that having a place where they're not abundantly represented is worth a visit for that reason alone.

• Like 1

"Rock/metal, jazz and country" pretty much translates as "I want to play anything I like on this bass", which is as it should be.

In my experience, going to a show is completely futile if you want to try instruments properly, and trying lots of basses in a shop achieves nothing except confusion unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

Big changes won't help you either. Switching between, say, Hofner and Warwick will teach you very little.

What bass have you been playing as a beginner?

• Like 1

Do what what we all do and that's buy one bass after another until you find the one that clicks, sell it then regret it and then keep on buying.  I'm up to #40 or so in 7 years.

Or you could buy a Precision and never need anything else.  

1 hour ago, lownote12 said:

Do what what we all do and that's buy one bass after another until you find the one that clicks, sell it then regret it and then keep on buying.  I'm up to #40 or so in 7 years.

Or you could buy a Precision and never need anything else.  

The 'must keep buying' habit is hard to break, though. I discovered that a Precision is my perfect bass years ago, but the buying habit means I have five of them (was six until I sold one last week!). I really should cut back to two, it's all I need and I almost always play the same two anyway!