Why become a member? ×

A clip on tuner that works?

joescartwright

5 minutes ago, gjones said:

Snarks are very good for bass but as they have swiveling stalk thing, which is delicate and tends to break, you have to be very careful with them.

this^

mine broke but i repaired it by drilling a hole in each of the 2 parts and gluing it back together with a steel pin inside, it's been fine ever since, i expect the other end will break at some point but I've got plenty of glue and steel pins.

i've got the snark with the metronome built in, auto chromatic tuning etc, i've yet to find an instrument that it can't pick up. (4 and 5 string bass, EUB, uke bass, electric and acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin and ukelele)

Matt 

I've been using a Korg Pitchclip for ages now, small profile does 4 string fine (not tried on 5) its been dropped, bashed about and even sat on and still working fine. 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Korg-Pitchclip-Clip-on-Tuner/FYN?origin=product-ads&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA Shop - Korg&utm_term=4584207573605927&utm_content=All Products - Korg

Edited by Andytre

Another vote for the TC Electronic Polytune Clip, though TBH, sometimes it goes into polytune mode when you're trying to tune a single string, which is a tad annoying, especially on bass.

However, the new(ish) TC Electronic Unitune Clip is fantastic (and cheaper). The Unitune doesn't have the. polytune mode. Both are incredibly accurate too.

this one works for me

https://reverb.com/item/2381439-reverb-clip-on-tuner-uk-exclusive?utm_campaign=uktuner

you have to put uktuner in the code box to get it for £2

the trick is not to pluck the strings too hard, bit odd I know when it works on vibrations (Ithink), trouble with clip on tuners is they don't work very well in a noisy environment, well mine don't anyway 

5 hours ago, Skybone said:

...though TBH, sometimes it goes into polytune mode when you're trying to tune a single string, which is a tad annoying, especially on bass.

This true, particularly on the E, if you tune using the harmonic it seems to remedy this most of the time but not always.

• 2 months later...
On 02/02/2018 at 07:27, Skybone said:

Another vote for the TC Electronic Polytune Clip, though TBH, sometimes it goes into polytune mode when you're trying to tune a single string, which is a tad annoying, especially on bass.

A bit late to the thread but wanted to point out If you set the turner to Bass mode polyphonic tuning isnt even an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TC Electronic Polytune for me too and it's working fine with all my 6 strings basses and even my EUB 6 strings with the Bass Mode engaged.

Being a user manuals reader helps a lot. B|

Edited by Hellzero

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

The Polyclip has a bass mode? If that means I don't have to use 12th freth harmonics to tune my low E and B then I'll give it a try!

Yup. If you hold down the button nearest the middle for a few seconds, the display will flash a green cross and 'B' at you. Do it again and you get back to 'G' mode.

Lol, it also has a manual, sometimes its a good idea to read it :-)

First thing i did when i got mine was to put it in to Bass/strobe mode, and its never been changed since. I used to use my Peterson stroboclip to set intonation, but the Polyclip is more than up to the job IMO. 

I have the Peterson StroboClip, cost $150. Piece of crap, hard to read, actually, VERY hard to read.

Polytune Polyclip, the BEST tuner by far. Around $90? well worth it. So quick and accurate, and by far the easiest to see even in daylight :)

Edited by bazzbass