Why become a member? ×

Fitting thicker strings

PaulWarning

I've just bought a set of 5 string bass strings (because they were as cheap as 4 string ones), I've only got a 4 string bass, has anybody fitted the thicker 4 strings out of a 5 string set of strings (120,100,80 and 60's) to a 4 string bass (with standard tuning)? what happened?

It's really common. You'll probably have to adjust the nut a bit (the B string might be thicker than the groove currently cut for your E string), but other than that, shouldn't be much to do.
Depending on the tension of the strings, a slight truss rod adjustment might be necessary, but that depends on the brand really. There shouldn't be much tension difference between a 4 string set made up of a low B or a high G all other things being equal.

So it just depends on whether you have a reason to do it :)

Si

Yup, Sibob beat me to it -  they'll certainly be very loud, but they'll put an extra load on the neck so I guess you're very likely to need to adjust the truss rod to compensate.

But I disagree with Sibob about 'not much tension difference' - you might find you need a new set of fingers as well.......................

20 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

But I disagree with Sibob about 'not much tension difference' - you might find you need a new set of fingers as well.......................

Yes, I think Sibob missed the part about wanting to tune the thicker strings to standard EADG.

1 hour ago, LewisK1975 said:

Yes, I think Sibob missed the part about wanting to tune the thicker strings to standard EADG.

Yeah so did I! I do use those strings on a four string tuned BEAD (I hate 5-strings but we have some songs in B) but I can’t imagine tuning them to standard pitch. I do use a 120 4th string on my “normal” basses but that’s tuned to drop C#.

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

It's really common. You'll probably have to adjust the nut a bit (the B string might be thicker than the groove currently cut for your E string), but other than that, shouldn't be much to do.
Depending on the tension of the strings, a slight truss rod adjustment might be necessary, but that depends on the brand really. There shouldn't be much tension difference between a 4 string set made up of a low B or a high G all other things being equal.

So it just depends on whether you have a reason to do it :)

Si

I think the OP wants to tune the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set up to E A D G.

However if he wasn't the B string of a standard 5-string set is quite a bit lower tension than the G. Generally, the highest tension string is the D with the other strings progressively dropping off in tension as you go higher and lower, although the drop off is usually greater as you go lower. Have a look at the string tension charts for those manufacturers that publish them. 

Edited by BigRedX

On 2/1/2018 at 13:22, PaulWarning said:

I decided not to do it, it was just a thought and wondered whether anybody had tried it, anybody want a 120 DR neon pink string? xD

Not quite the same as a neon pink G string so, pass.  Sorry.  It's completely the wrong gauge for my cleft.

• Haha 2