Why become a member? ×

Fender 51 Precision bass MIJ Resissue

Quilly

Hi Folks

Thinking of going for a '51 reissue MIJ bass. Just love the sound from all the clips I've heard online. I already have a Sandberg VS P bass and a Mayones Jazz as 'working basses', I've done Stingrays , Active Humbuckers etc. I just want an old school earthy sound. Just wondering If anyone out there has ever owned one of these. Im a bit concerned about the slab body from a comfort perspective and 60 cycle hum from that little single coil. Anyone out there ever owned one or played one?  

I had one for years.  (It's now with my son in New Zealand though.)

The neck is super comfortable and the slab body was never a problem for me.  The sound is, as you know, thick and full.  I never had any unwanted noise problems - at least, no worse than a Jazz bass on one pickup.  The materials and build are excellent.  Mine did get a new badass III bridge which is a massive upgrade and the only thing that needs changed.  The original bridge does the job but setting the intonation is tricky so the badass III is a big improvement.

I'd say yes, go for it.  In fact, I've been eyeing up the one for sale here.  I'd love to have a 51 RI again.

Frank.

Thank Frank I have my eye on one also...butterscotch blond . I've heard them being used by a few American indie bands lately and they sound really responsive and full. I recently purchased a 100w all valve head recently so I imagine they would be a match made in heaven. 

I've got a 72 Telebass ( twin buckers) and a 51 P clone. Had no issues with  intonation by the twin saddle bridge on the Telebass and the clone has a normal 4 saddle bridge. No issues with the clone on the 1 pickup re hum/buzz although it is not a Fender pickup. There are quite a few of these in the Build Diary Lounge.

I got mine brand new from Peter Cook's back in 1994 or thereabouts, and it's the one bass I'll never sell (to be fair I'll probably never sell any of the others either, but you know what I mean!). Still using the original bridge - I've never really worried about intonation issues, I just set it so the upper strings in each pair (i.e. the A and the G) are correct, and let the others take their chances! Still the original pickup too - I've never found noise to be a problem, but do have a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor in the bag just in case. The neck is superb, and while the slab obviously feels a bit different to contoured bodies, I've never found it uncomfortable. Got a full set of ashtrays fitted - I was never comfortable playing my Squier CV '60s Precision with a pickup cover fitted, but on the '51 it's no problem at all (plus it stops me resting my thumb on the pickup which is a no-no given the less-than-sturdy nature of the top cover of the pickup) and completes "the look".

Just do it! :)

51p.jpg

1 minute ago, Quilly said:

Never thought of not resting my thumb on the pickup but I see the wiring etc is exposed.  Can you get a casing for the backup?

Hmm, I don't think you can. As you've probably worked out, the original 1951-style pickup isn't contained in a plastic cover like a split-coil P pickup - it's basically just an open-sided bobbin, with top and bottom plates slightly wider than the windings. I'm not sure what the plates are actually made of, but I think it's a fibreboard of some sort, which overhangs each end of the bobbin - the issue is that if you press a bit too hard while resting your thumb on it you can break the overhanging bit (though to be fair, I used to rest on mine all the time before I fitted the ashtray and never managed to break it). Depending on how high the pickup is set, it's also theoretically possible to catch the E or G string under the overhang, and pull the top off the pickup. Again, I've never done it / seen it done, but it's summat I've seen mentioned in a few places. So, a pickup with design issues maybe, but it sounds great!

They`re great basses, I`ve had a few though and although I love the looks, sounds and payability for some reason I always offload, said reason still not established. Probably as I`m unlikely to use them in a band setting nowadays, though have before.

I've got one. I adore it! Modded the living daylights out of it but it was fantastic all stock too.

Added a slight contour to the slab, refin in trans white, shielded the crap out of the cavity so no more hum.

Have flipped between the standard pickup and a Lindy Fralin from time to time. Both are excellent though the Fralin has a touch more growl in the top and mid.

With fresh roundwound strings you get a reel 'grindy' sound, similar to Mike Dirnt from Green Day. With flats it's as old-school as you can imagine.

I really wanted to get a Bassman TV Combo to use with it for retro charm but no luck finding one. But it sounds incredible through an Ampeg B100R 'blue rocket' combo! Motown for days. haha  

Great basses! Go for it

13235196_10153617367961699_3852754463085960160_o.jpg

8 hours ago, Quilly said:

How does the sound compare to that of a 'normal' p bass ?

Not so much emphasis on the mids. Not scooped by any means but not as chunk-city as a normal p bass. I`d probably say if in terms of Jazz-scoop being at 1 and normal Precision-chunk being 10 then these 51s are at 7.