Why become a member? ×

New 5-string options

ForestPoetry

Greetings! I'm in the market for a new 5-string (fretted) to replace my SR305E. The other day I sat down very briefly with a Warwick GPS Thumb in Andertons. My god. Safe to say the only thing stopping me was the £1500 price tag. Little out of my range at the moment. But that tone!!!

I'm really feeling the Sire Marcus Miller M7 5 string (Ash version). Any owners here care to persuade me? Never played a 35" scale before but that thing is sending me tidal GAS waves. Looks and sounds very versatile. What looks like immense bang for the buck. I know these things have been taking the bass scene by storm the last couple of years. I'm on a mission to demo one myself. The sheer amount of controls is mildly intimidating.

Failing that it'd be another Ibby, probably the SR655 as I've had the Bart equipped SRs before and I want something different. The P/J Norstrands in that look really nice. I swear by SRs and I know if I pick one up it'd work for me right off the bat, but I'm very open to trying something different.

Anything else I should be aware of? I'd love an MTD but a lot of them are a little on the pricey side for me right now.

Spector Euro5 LX, made in the Czech Republic.

You can score one used around 1000GBP.

They sound great, very well built, great B string and has some great ergonomical features that you will like (based on the SR305)  

Also korean Spectors, called the Legend series has some very high price/value basses.

13 hours ago, ForestPoetry said:

Greetings! I'm in the market for a new 5-string (fretted) to replace my SR305E. The other day I sat down very briefly with a Warwick GPS Thumb in Andertons. My god. Safe to say the only thing stopping me was the £1500 price tag. Little out of my range at the moment. But that tone!!!

Get a used one. You can find virtually unplayed basses in the classifieds for a lot less than the new price. For your budget you could be in Shuker/ACG/Lakland etc territory.

If you can save a little longer and get up to the £1500 level the basses get much more interesting.

I have a Lakland 55-01 and it really punches above it's price IMO. The J-Sonics also look very cool! 
Both are 35" scale and will probably set you back about £400-£600 used.

Si

Edited by Sibob

14 hours ago, ForestPoetry said:

I'm really feeling the Sire Marcus Miller M7 5 string (Ash version). Any owners here care to persuade me? Never played a 35" scale before but that thing is sending me tidal GAS waves. Looks and sounds very versatile. What looks like immense bang for the buck. I know these things have been taking the bass scene by storm the last couple of years. I'm on a mission to demo one myself. The sheer amount of controls is mildly intimidating.

Failing that it'd be another Ibby, probably the SR655 as I've had the Bart equipped SRs before and I want something different. The P/J Norstrands in that look really nice. I swear by SRs and I know if I pick one up it'd work for me right off the bat, but I'm very open to trying something different.

Anything else I should be aware of? I'd love an MTD but a lot of them are a little on the pricey side for me right now.

First off, I would wholeheartedly agree with everyone who has said "buy secondhand". Your money will go a long way and would easily get you that Warwick if you found one. You'd definitely be in Shuker/ACG/etc territory.

As far as the Sire V7 is concerned, I will gladly try to persuade you. I adore mine, and as you say the VFM is unbelievable. I have tried a lot of 5 string Jazz basses and the only one I've played that was better than the Sire was a £3000 Celinder. The Fender Marcus Miller sig 5-string costs nearly 2 grand and was blown into the weeds by the Sire. And please don't be intimidated by the controls, it's really not much more complex than the EQ on the SR655. The only differences are a} a sweepable mid (without the sweep a mid control is a bit pointless IMHO), b} an active/passive EQ bypass switch and c} passive tone control. It's tremendously flexible and dead easy once you get past the initial OMG-there's-so-many-knobs  shock xD 

Edited by Rich

I switched from a 34" 5 string (G&L L2500) to a 35" 5 (Lakland DJ5) last year and found the transition very easy; however, now I find 34" 5 strings feel weird, which is a shame as there are fewer 35" models on the market.

What is your budget? Lower than £1500 obviously, but what sort of money are you talking about

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Get a used one. You can find virtually unplayed basses in the classifieds for a lot less than the new price. For your budget you could be in Shuker/ACG/Lakland etc territory.

If you can save a little longer and get up to the £1500 level the basses get much more interesting.

This

The second hand prices for top of the range Warwicks are insultingly cheap (as I know to my cost from selling a couple) so if you fancy a Thumb, have a browse

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Warwick-Bass-Guitars/4713/bn_25711263

I just bought a Sire V7 5. Alder/ rosewood. One of the best Jazz basses I've ever played. The preamp just sounds epic.. Watch the ash ones though.  I had an ash 5ver and it was heavy. It' the reason I went for the alder. It's hard to get your head around the price. Mine was £426. Delivered.  

4 hours ago, ForestPoetry said:

Thanks for the input so far guys. Can anyone vouch for this?

jbf2wux2buljbuaaaarg.jpg

The M7, that's the one I'm specifically GASSing for. Not so much interested in the Fender type.

Never played one, but just from the photo, the upper fret access looks.....uncomfortable at best.

Si