Why become a member? ×

(How to) Fills and soloing... recommended books, video lessons? etc.

Greg.Bassman

Hi everyone.

Where can I find out more about fills and soloing and applying them in a band context within different genres? Any recommended books, video lessons etc. I'm not looking for anything fancy like ‘Jazz noodling’, just something that is going to 'get me through', when called for. I am often a ‘by the pattern’ player, so something with plenty of exercises to choose from would be ideal.

Cheers!

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Ready aim improvise is a popular choice book wise. Or if you like funk lines there is one that I had with loads of 4 bar patterns, can’t remember what it’s called though.

Really though the ability to improvise comes from learning scales/ arpeggios (chord tones)/ and theory to a point where you no longer need to think about it. It’s hard work but makes a huge difference to the way you play music. You say you’re a pattern player, well everything is created from a scale/ chord so that’s a good place to start.

Another idea is to copy something else in a song. So say the guitar, keys, horns, or strings, or even singer plays a line, you could copy some of that to the bass as a fill.

On 31.01.2018 at 01:29, Greg.Bassman said:

Hi everyone.

Where can I find out more about fills and soloing and applying them in a band context within different genres? Any recommended books, video lessons etc. I'm not looking for anything fancy like ‘Jazz noodling’, just something that is going to 'get me through', when called for. I am often a ‘by the pattern’ player, so something with plenty of exercises to choose from would be ideal.

Cheers!

You can check this book for your improvisations "Jamey Aebersold - ii v i progression" and there is play alongs with it (: 

For your fills, my comment is listen a lot and play what you like (: 

It sounds so straightforward but feels a bit like “make me into a better player without having to put much effort in”. Don’t be offended - but what you’re looking for is a (wood) shed load of practice, listening to the music you like and copping the fills, lines, solos etc. As someone once said - all the answers are in your record collection (although that’s a bit out of date - maybe I should have said iTunes library). I don’t think you’re going to get much help from a book.

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

...I don’t think you’re going to get much help from a book.

I can't agree with that. There are some excellent methods out there, on theory, technique and/or composition/harmony, plus transcriptions of 'greats'. Not to say that listening isn't useful (it is...); reading (or rather: 'studying'...) has its place too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I can't agree with that. There are some excellent methods out there, on theory, technique and/or composition/harmony, plus transcriptions of 'greats'. Not to say that listening isn't useful (it is...); reading (or rather: 'studying'...) has its place too.

I didn’t say that books aren’t useful to anyone, anywhere; just in this particular case. The OP doesn’t appear to want to embark upon a course of study but asked for some book recommendations with licks or patterns. Now we don’t know the OP’s ability to pick up licks etc. from a song - but it’s a reasonable bet that he has some ability - and working things out from his favourite tunes will make his ears better (which you’re very unlikely to improve with most books), he’ll get to where (it sounds like) he wants to be, and best of all - it’s free!

IMO it's not an "either/or" thing between books and listening. Both have their place in a constructive practice session. There is a lot to be said for simply sitting down and trying to work out the bass lines to a song by ear, using trial and error.

As for a book.....my recommendation would be to delve a little into walking bass lines. Even if you are not really a jazz fan, learning walking bass lines can help you to see/hear chords in a different way. It will get you away from familiar patterns. My book recommendation for this would be Walking Jazz Lines for Bass  :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jay-Hungerford-Walking-Jazz-Lines-For-Ba-Bass-Guitar-Sheet-Music-Downloads/302615456542?epid=1065246151&hash=item4675496b1e:g:QtgAAOSwuShaagEY

It comes with a CD....so that's the listening side of things also covered. 

Edited by Coilte

I found this book helpful, gets you using the pentatonics, mixolydian and blues scales to play fills. There’s some scale exercises that get you moving about the fretboard so you’re not just stuck in one position. All the examples are in a funk, soul, r&b or hip hop style but what you learn would translate to other styles too.

Also maybe try coming up with a rhythm in your head first of how you want your fill to be, then add notes from the relevant scale to your rhythm.

8E5283A7-173D-473B-8E45-338BF7B012AB.jpeg

Hi everyone. Wow, some good suggestions here, thank you!

(Just to shed some light on the matter) I know my major, minor and blues pentatonic scales (very basic); incidentally, a couple of the suggestions on here so far have mentioned pentatonics, so thats great. Pentatonics seem to be some of the most widely used amongst players, and musically, tend to work in a multitude of playing styles and situations- so it seems like a good place to focus on for the time being. Until now, a lot of my musical ‘vocabulary’ has been built up through watching friends play, the odd youtube video and from listening to my favourite records; but you can never underestimate a good book either, hence why I’m asking for tried and tested recommendations. I love funk, disco and hip hop (to name a few). I practice what I know religiously, but ‘what I know’ feels relatively limited, which is why I’m looking for some new licks/patterns to get inspired by.

Thanks again all!

Edited by Greg.Bassman
  • Like 1