Why become a member? ×

Floppy strings

IainS

On 1/31/2018 at 20:35, IainS said:

Adam, that is about as comprehensive an answer as I could have hoped for. D'Addario strings have just become my new favourites. And I haven't even tried them yet. 

I've currently got 45-65-85-105 strings on and, as you say, the loss of tension when tuning down is noticeable, although I couldn't have told you that it was about a 5lb loss. 

I'll have another go on the tension guide and see if I can make more sense of it now. 

Ah perfect, the logic in my post works pretty close for the current gauge you are used to as well.  You'd just need to adjust slightly. So you'd find the least noticeable difference by using something like 50 - 70 - 90 - 110.
That's a weird gauge so you would be relying on buying single strings unless you compromise quite a bit and go with a set of EXL230 (55 - 75 - 90 - 110).

And your welcome man that's why I'm here. Nobody really says 'Oh wow, I feel like these strings have 5lb less tension in them.' The system is just there to put numbers / maths to what we feel when we down tune etc, which makes it easier to find an appropriate gauge. Generally on a bass, most players won't be too concerned with around 2lb of tension either way, but once it gets to 5lbs, it becomes noticeably different.
You'll love the strings even more once you have tried them!

Adam.

3 hours ago, D'Addario UK said:

Ah perfect, the logic in my post works pretty close for the current gauge you are used to as well.  You'd just need to adjust slightly. So you'd find the least noticeable difference by using something like 50 - 70 - 90 - 110.
That's a weird gauge so you would be relying on buying single strings unless you compromise quite a bit and go with a set of EXL230 (55 - 75 - 90 - 110).

And your welcome man that's why I'm here. Nobody really says 'Oh wow, I feel like these strings have 5lb less tension in them.' The system is just there to put numbers / maths to what we feel when we down tune etc, which makes it easier to find an appropriate gauge. Generally on a bass, most players won't be too concerned with around 2lb of tension either way, but once it gets to 5lbs, it becomes noticeably different.
You'll love the strings even more once you have tried them!

Adam.

I'm pleased you've recommended the EXL230 set as that's exactly what Verb has offered to send me to try out. If I get on with them I'll grab myself a shiny new set. 

Thanks again Adam. I've learned something this week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IainS said:

I'm pleased you've recommended the EXL230 set as that's exactly what Verb has offered to send me to try out. If I get on with them I'll grab myself a shiny new set. 

I was hoping they would arrive today, I sent them 1st class yesterday.

On 2/2/2018 at 17:54, IainS said:

No problem at all, be good to hear your feedback in this thread as to whether they work for you :)

Adam.

Edited by D'Addario UK

On 2/5/2018 at 11:54, D'Addario UK said:

No problem at all, be good to hear your feedback in this thread as to whether they work for you :)

Adam.

They work a treat! I've given it a few days to get used to the extra tension - and there is a little more tension than I'm used to, even at my previous standard tuning, but I don't mind that at all. Thanks all, and to @verb for the strings!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Guest ixlramp
On 31/01/2018 at 20:35, IainS said:

I've currently got 45-65-85-105 strings on

On 02/02/2018 at 14:04, D'Addario UK said:

So you'd find the least noticeable difference by using something like 50 - 70 - 90 - 110.

If you're down a semitone the best match is indeed 50 70 90 110. In fact, adding .005 for a semitone drop actually overcompensates on the higher strings. So a 55 75 90 110 set will result in the higher strings being excessively tight, and also tension imbalanced (top-heavy). It's much better to build a 50 70 90 110 set from singles. D'Addario now hermetically seal their singles so they will be as fresh as a full set.

It seems you have discovered this already:

> there is a little more tension than I'm used to, even at my previous standard tuning,

Edited by ixlramp