Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Wanted

Bluewine

14 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I love the ads that cut to the chase;

"If your looking for money, this ain't it"😁

Blue

In my neck of the woods if an established band, all in tact that's making money places a bass player wanted ad publicly, good luck getting an audition slot. 😢

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

The band i'm currently in had an advert running showing VIDS and pics of a full band but said they were lookng for a new bassist. Turns out it was only the original singer and drummer altho they had a new guitarist on board. To be fair they did tell me all this when they contacted me. I managed to find a 2nd guitarist relatively quickly. Great guys and it was the singer that i thought was the main attraction for the band. He gets right into the full image thing too. 

Dave

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Here's another heads up.

You respond to the ad because the musianship in their clips seemed very high. I responded to an ad based on what appeared to be a " smokin" guitarist. Then found out he was no longer in the band..

Blue

Yup, been there, walked away from that one too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting point.

Guys, how much rehearsal is reasonable for a 5 gig a year band?

Blue

Exactly the same as any other band - until it's as good as it's going to get.  It doesn't matter if it's 5 gigs or 50 gigs, I'll learn the parts to the best of my ability and expect everyone else to do the same.  The gig count has no impact on the amount of time it takes to bring a project up to scratch.  It still takes X hours to learn 25 songs whether you're going to play them once or one hundred times. I play in a works house rock band - we do 1 or 2 gigs for our employers a year at the summer BQ and/or Xmas party and we still put 20-25 hours rehearsal in before each show because that's what it takes.

Edited by DaytonaRik

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting point.

Blue

You seem obsessed with the gigs, when the ad is very clearly telling you that it’s not about the gigs at all.  The band is about hanging out and playing music with other musicians who make no pretence about wanting to make money or play every night, they just want to hang out and play music. For some people that’s really all they want

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

You seem obsessed with the gigs, when the ad is very clearly telling you that it’s not about the gigs at all.  The band is about hanging out and playing music with other musicians who make no pretence about wanting to make money or play every night, they just want to hang out and play music. For some people that’s really all they want

I'm obsessed with their requirements not gigs.

Blue

3 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Exactly the same as any other band - until it's as good as it's going to get.  It doesn't matter if it's 5 gigs or 50 gigs, I'll learn the parts to the best of my ability and expect everyone else to do the same.  The gig count has no impact on the amount of time it takes to bring a project up to scratch.  It still takes X hours to learn 25 songs whether you're going to play them once or one hundred times. I play in a works house rock band - we do 1 or 2 gigs for our employers a year at the summer BQ and/or Xmas party and we still put 20-25 hours rehearsal in before each show because that's what it takes.

Would 2 rehearsals per week for 5 gigs be acceptable?

Blue

16 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm obsessed with their requirements not gigs.

Blue

The only requirement they have that I would have an issue with is that they don't want someone who is in other bands as well, which is limiting their options especially considering how infrequently they intend to gig. 

Talking about rehearsing, would you be happy to gig with a new band without any rehearsals at all?

6 hours ago, peteb said:

The only requirement they have that I would have an issue with is that they don't want someone who is in other bands as well, which is limiting their options especially considering how infrequently they intend to gig. 

Talking about rehearsing, would you be happy to gig with a new band without any rehearsals at all?

Hi Pete,

Initially  once a week would be fine. After I have all the material down maybe one rehearsal before each gig.

Blue

59 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Hi Pete,

Initially  once a week would be fine. After I have all the material down maybe one rehearsal before each gig.

Blue

I was just asking because I'm about to do a series of gigs where the first time I will meet the band will be at the soundcheck of the first gig! 

What I was wondering is could or would you be prepared to work like that and what is the optimal amount of rehearsal required for a band to gig??

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Would 2 rehearsals per week for 5 gigs be acceptable?

Blue

once again, it's not about the gigs, it's about hanging out and enjoying playing music with each other. why do you keep going on about the number of gigs?

You asked whether the ad was good, and almost all of us say it is because it tells everybody exactly what the band is after.  You seem to disagree because you wouldn't want to join the band.  That's a different question to the one that you asked.  The only way that your argument that it's not a good ad holds any weight is if they do in fact play five times a week and have put you off applying for a band that would really suit you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bluewine said:

In a band that plays 60 gigs annually, no. 

A band that does 5 shows none of the points would bother me. I could even live with the guy that comes to a rehearsal unprepared. He still has plenty of time to nail the material before the next gig.

Blue

What if a gig came in and you couldn't get hold of someone to confirm they could do it, or they were already gigging on that date?  I know the ad says 5-6 gigs a year but i would expect the band would want to be able to play them.

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I love the ads that cut to the chase;

"If your looking for money, this ain't it"😁

Blue

Which is why it is a great ad Blue, it's told you quite clearly that it's not for you.

If for some reason you left your band and they placed an ad stating that they want a bass player who is prepared to do 4 hour gigs, three or four times a week, I would not apply for it because I don't want to do 4 hour gigs three or four times a week.

The ad is perfect as far as I'm concerned, and this is one of their requirements I particularly like, "Do your homework before practice (obvious but I had to say it)", nothing winds me up more than people turning up for rehearsals having not learn't the songs. >:(

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting point.

Blue

When I first joined a band as a bassist I did it because I was living in a portacabin in the middle of a desert a few thousand miles from home and there was absolutely nothing to do. We used to do a three hour practice once a week when everyone was available, but  I'd have been happy rehearsing every night.  The band played about 5 gigs in the 18 months I was there.  I hated most of the songs we played, and t was all unpaid, although the drinks were free.  Its the only thing that kept me sane.

4 hours ago, peteb said:

I was just asking because I'm about to do a series of gigs where the first time I will meet the band will be at the soundcheck of the first gig! 

What I was wondering is could or would you be prepared to work like that and what is the optimal amount of rehearsal required for a band to gig??

I've never done that, I guess it depends on the band and the type of gig.

If reading is required I wouldn't be able to do it. If it was a 4 hour bar gig I'd also be in trouble.

The only way I could cut showing up for a gig with no prior rehearsal would be if it was a headliner show playing a little over an hours worth of material.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Thats scary but had to do 2 gigs in same weekend with a band last year without a rehearsal. 3 weeks after joining. 34 songs to learn in different keys from originals. We had planned to do a few rehearsals but singers dad passed away and we just couldn't manage under the circumstances. Had a few notes on my amp but gigs went really well too.

To be fair the songs were all 70's covers and i knew the songs in my head. Trying to remember how the songs went or the structure of the songs was really easy. All i had to do was learn the notes xD

Wouldn't like to do that again tho as it was extremely time consuming learning the songs in 3 weeks and very stressful 2nd gig was far more enjoyable tho after the 1st one went so well.

Dave

2 hours ago, thebrig said:

Which is why it is a great ad Blue, it's told you quite clearly that it's not for you.

If for some reason you left your band and they placed an ad stating that they want a bass player who is prepared to do 4 hour gigs, three or four times a week, I would not apply for it because I don't want to do 4 hour gigs three or four times a week.

The ad is perfect as far as I'm concerned, and this is one of their requirements I particularly like, "Do your homework before practice (obvious but I had to say it)", nothing winds me up more than people turning up for rehearsals having not learn't the songs. >:(

The ad is perfect. And if a guy wants to rehearse weekly for 5 gigs that's fine to. A few guys in this discussion have indicated this would be a good opportunity for them. 

I admit, I don't get the whole social aspect of rehearsal.

I would have no interest in this type of opportunity not because they only want to play 5 gigs, because of their requirements.

Blue

3 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

once again, it's not about the gigs, it's about hanging out and enjoying playing music with each other. why do you keep going on about the number of gigs?

Agreed,

While I enjoy playing music I'm not sure I'm  a "hang out" type of guy at this point in my life.

Blue

13 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

The ad is perfect. And if a guy wants to rehearse weekly for 5 gigs that's fine to. A few guys in this discussion have indicated this would be a good opportunity for them. 

I admit, I don't get the whole social aspect of rehearsal.

I would have no interest in this type of opportunity not because they only want to play 5 gigs, because of their requirements.

Blue

I can't see anything saying they want to rehearse every week.  I too think rehearsals are just one of those things, not something I'd do if I didn't need to but I'll do them cheerfully when necessary.

The caveats are far from unreasonable, I read it as multiple bands are ok just make sure you've got some time for this and you wouldn't be taking on too much if you joined this band as well.

The communication thing is reasonable too. If it takes you 3 days to respond then your pretty much out of the question for any team activity to be honest.

The last one is applicable to any band.

Les (who wouldn't be interested in this band either)

• Like 1