Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Wanted

Bluewine

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We usually play 5 nights in a row at Wisconsin State Fair, 8:00-12:00.

It's probably my favorite week out of the year. I love it.

We're all different.

Blue

I'd love to do that (once at least).  The opportunity hasn't come up yet, but I'm only 59. ☺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have no issue with the ad, it's very precise and upfront about the band's expectations for the new member and what that person can expect in return.  It'll appeal to someone and will be just the right fit for them. If I saw something like this local to me I'd probably give it a go if it fit in with my other commitments (both home and musically). It takes all sorts.

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Currently with 2 bands which i'm finding easier than i thought it would be altho one of them is a Glam Rock covers band and i knew all or most of the songs so that was an easy one to learn the set list. Both bands at start up or rehearsal stages and not gigging as yet but loking forward to it when it starts.

Dave

Must be something to do with being of  certain age.....also joined a (very busy) Glam Rock band at the late summer age of 54.  Never had so much fun....the wigs can get a bit itchy though.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2018 at 20:11, Bluewine said:

I get that, but for 5 gigs a year, personally I think their requirements are out of line.

Blue

The requirements / what the are offering does not fit you , but it might others , that's why it's a good ad 

Edited by lojo

On 30/01/2018 at 20:11, Bluewine said:

I get that, but for 5 gigs a year, personally I think their requirements are out of line.

Blue

Isn't their requirements exactly what any add should state? Do any of us want to be in bands that have members that fail on all three points?

47 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Isn't their requirements exactly what any add should state? Do any of us want to be in bands that have members that fail on all three points?

In a band that plays 60 gigs annually, no. 

A band that does 5 shows none of the points would bother me. I could even live with the guy that comes to a rehearsal unprepared. He still has plenty of time to nail the material before the next gig.

Blue

10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It's an honest ad. It's  a fit for certain guys. I still take issue with the requirements.

Blue

which bit do you think is asking too much?  I genuinely don't understand what you think is unreasonable here - they are very clear that they are not doing  it for a living but want to play to as high a standard as possible and don't want anybody who will Richard them around.  As many others have said, that will suit a lot of people, so how is an ad aimed at exactly those types of people wrong?

25 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It's an honest ad. It's  a fit for certain guys. I still take issue with the requirements.

Blue

I just don't get why you would have an issue the the requirements Blue, they want to play FIVE gigs a year to a good standard, so therefore, they want someone who is a decent musician and who is happy to rehearse, and play, just FIVE gigs a year with them.

If I saw an ad like that locally I would apply straight away because the criteria exactly fits my needs, if it didn't, then I would NOT apply.

An upfront ad like this saves a lot of wasted time on both sides.

Odd, if I see an advert clearly not aimed at me, I just shrug and move on. I don't develop 'issues' with the advert and try to imagine what sort of people would post an advert like that, or indeed who would reply. Criticise those people for their imagined motives ? No thanks...it's a exercise in prejudice, the end result of which is deriding a bunch of people you don't know and have no reason to have anything to do with and aren't affecting you in any way.

YMMV of course.

Edited by ahpook

Years ago I didn't gig for 7 years because I had young kids and my day job was all consuming and I wanted the weekends for family , this would have absolutely suited me during that period , providing they didn't want to rehearse more than they gigged. 

Edited by lojo

3 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

which bit do you think is asking too much?  I genuinely don't understand what you think is unreasonable here - they are very clear that they are not doing  it for a living but want to play to as high a standard as possible and don't want anybody who will Richard them around.  As many others have said, that will suit a lot of people, so how is an ad aimed at exactly those types of people wrong?

The ad is not wrong. I don't like the requirements, I personally think they're asking too much. But that's just me.

If they were to take out the requirements they might get the wrong guy. I get that, however it doesn't mean I have to like their proposition.

Blue

1 hour ago, lojo said:

Years ago I didn't gig for 7 years because I had young kids and my day job was all consuming and I wanted the weekends for family , this would have absolutely suited me during that period , providing they didn't want to rehearse more than they gigged. 

Interesting point.

Guys, how much rehearsal is reasonable for a 5 gig a year band?

Blue

Blue, it's a good, clear ad, just not aimed at the likes of you (or me). And it tells us enough that you or me wouldn't waste our time or theirs replying to it. I've wasted enough time on answering adverts that are basically asking for what these guys are, but are too vague about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting point.

Guys, how much rehearsal is reasonable for a 5 gig a year band?

Blue

As much as they feel they need. I don't get it either, but the fact is that there are people out there who enjoy rehearsing for its own sake, they are not as focussed on gigging as some of us are. In the end, it's less competition for those of us who want to gig as often as possible!

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Blue, it's a good, clear ad, just not aimed at the likes of you (or me). And it tells us enough that you or me wouldn't waste our time or theirs replying to it. I've wasted enough time on answering adverts that are basically asking for what these guys are, but are too vague about it.

Dave,

I agree 100%. I have responded to ads in the past where a lot of crucial information was left out.

Classic example,the ad is for a bass player then you find out they are also looking for drums & vocalist. You find out it's a remaining member trying to save a sinking ship.

Blue

10 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I love the ads that cut to the chase;

"If your looking for money, this ain't it"😁

Blue

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

Yeah, I've responded to 'bassist wanted' ads, asked who's on drums and they've asked me if I know anyone...the conversation usually ends there.

Here's another heads up.

You respond to the ad because the musianship in their clips seemed very high. I responded to an ad based on what appeared to be a " smokin" guitarist. Then found out he was no longer in the band..

Blue

• Haha 1