Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Wanted

Bluewine

21 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That annoys the hell outa me when others turn up expecting to learn the song on the night.

Yes, me too. It's not just because they slowly and excruciatingly try to nail the songs while you, having already nailed the songs, are obliged to stand there waiting and watching with a face like a pair of old tits, it's the fact that they just couldn't be bothered and instead spent their time drinking / playing video games / watching TV  / rummaging in their pants*  instead. Nothing is more likely to raise the temperature of my urine to 100 degrees Celsius.

*delete accordingly.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, discreet said:

Yes, me too. It's not just because they slowly and excruciatingly try to nail the songs while you, having already nailed the songs, are obliged to stand there waiting and watching with a face like a pair of old tits, it's the fact that they just couldn't be bothered and instead spent their time drinking / playing video games / watching TV  / rummaging in their pants*  instead. Nothing is more likely to raise the temperature of my urine to 100 degrees Celsius.

*delete accordingly.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Very well said that man!  ...I will be incorporating 'a face like a pair of old tits' into my vocab from this day onwards!

33 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Very well said that man!  ...I will be incorporating 'a face like a pair of old tits' into my vocab from this day onwards!

Always a pleasure to enhance the conversation skills of the membership. :D

Edited by discreet

2 hours ago, discreet said:

*delete accordingly.

xDxDxD Watching with a face like a pair of old tits.

That has to be the best description of facial expression i've ever heard. Absolutely brilliant. xD

Dave

7 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Saying any band doesn't deserve top notch candidates is a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who after years of gigging hard want to put our feet up now and again

I have no issue with senior musicians that want to pull back and put their feet up.

Blue

7 hours ago, thebrig said:

There are lots of reasons for people wanting to only gig a few times a years, just like there are lots of reasons why people want to gig as often as they can.

We are all different folks ^_^

I agree 100%. My issue is with the ad. They seem to be saying;

"We play 5-6 gigs a year but our requirements are the same as a band playing 100  paid gigs per year."

Blue

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

"We play 5-6 gigs a year but our requirements are the same as a band playing 100  paid gigs per year."

I kind of agree with you in principle but logically there's no reason why a band doing 5 gigs a year shouldn't be a good band. It's all about how the band want to play it.

I don't see rehearsals or gigs as social occasions and there's no reason for me to meet band members outside of band activities. But thars just my preference.

I wouldn't join a band that didn't gig or record, for me that's the whole point -  I don't really understand rehearsal-only bands, but if that's what people want, I'm not arguing. :)

1 hour ago, discreet said:

I kind of agree with you in principle but logically there's no reason why a band doing 5 gigs a year shouldn't be a good band. It's all about how the band want to play it.

I don't see rehearsals or gigs as social occasions and there's no reason for me to meet band members outside of band activities. But thars just my preference.

I wouldn't join a band that didn't gig or record, for me that's the whole point -  I don't really understand rehearsal-only bands, but if that's what people want, I'm not arguing. :)

Agreed, and if your only playing 5 gigs a year, you have all the time in the world to  prep to put on 5 great shows. 

Andit certainly shouldn't take or require weekly rehearsals.

Blue

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Agreed, and if your only playing 5 gigs a year, you have all the time in the world to  prep to put on 5 great shows. 

Andit certainly shouldn't take or require weekly rehearsals.

Blue

Do Americans not have hobbies? I spend my spare time on my motorcycle, All day every Sunday when it's dry but I'm not looking to become a professional rider in any capacity, some people spends hours painting or building model train sets, what's the difference if people want to spend maybe 2 or 3 hours a week playing together? 

I wouldn't play at all if it wasn't for gigging bands so something like this in the future for me to keep my hand in might be ideal,  there's no way I'll want to be playing five nights a week when I'm your age Blue.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

1 minute ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

there's no way I'll want to be playing five nights a week when I'm your age Blue.

Ouch !!! xD

Subtlety might be your strong point there xDxD

My hobbies are bass, Harleys, Porsche and model trains so i've no chance then. Plus i need to keep the garden nice as dictated by my missus. xD

Dave

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

There's no way I'll want to be playing five nights a week when I'm your age Blue.

We usually play 5 nights in a row at Wisconsin State Fair, 8:00-12:00.

It's probably my favorite week out of the year. I love it.

We're all different.

Blue

3 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Do Americans not have hobbies? I spend my spare time on my motorcycle, All day every Sunday when it's dry but I'm not looking to become a professional rider in any capacity, some people spends hours painting or building model train sets, what's the difference if people want to spend maybe 2 or 3 hours a week playing together? 

I wouldn't play at all if it wasn't for gigging bands so something like this in the future for me to keep my hand in might be ideal,  there's no way I'll want to be playing five nights a week when I'm your age Blue.

(grin) "Hope I die before I get old" eh?  Blue is doing it for a living, not a hobby.  You are an amateur ( not meant rudely, just that your paycheck doesn't depend on your gigs, so you can afford to feel the way you do) but some of us don't have that luxury. FWIW I officially retired in 2006 but have never really stopped gigging.  And I still enjoy every bit of it apart from the getting gigs but, like Blue, someone else is doing that.

If you're fit and reasonably healthy then there's no reason why you can't or shouldn't play 5 nights a week.

Its no different from working the day job in your 60's and many people i know have continued to work after they turned 65. Some kept on in the same job and others retired but were asked back to cover larger shutdown work or even longer term projects on Gas Production plants.

It especially helps if you enjoy what you're doing no matter what the job.

Dave 

6 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

It's not really about being pro or amateur, I don't want to be living hand to mouth in my mid sixtees no matter what profession I'm in. 

That's why i retired from work at 55. Work had taken over my life. Constantly being called any time of the day or night. Expected to cancel personal arrangements incl a wedding and a weekend break. Even tried to get me to come back from an annual holiday. I literally had no life of my own. 

Enough was enough and jumped at chance when they were looking for volunteers. 40yrs service full pension rights and redundancy so no pension penalties. Good enough that even my wife was able to finish her job at 49yrs old. So i'm happy and i now have lots of time to indulge in my hobbies. Currently with 2 bands which i'm finding easier than i thought it would be altho one of them is a Glam Rock covers band and i knew all or most of the songs so that was an easy one to learn the set list. Both bands at start up or rehearsal stages and not gigging as yet but loking forward to it when it starts.

And i don't need to go out in the snow...........unless i really want to. xD

Dave