Why become a member? ×

Looking for band advice.

Froggy

Time to ask those with more experience than me. 

I've been playing in a band since last summer, but the thing is, I don't think it's going anywhere. 

Firstly, it's a 6 piece. F**kwit guitarist, egotistical keyboard player, intelligent and reliable guitarist, new drummer, will be a new vocalist cos we just sacked one, and myself. I feel it's far too big for the kinds of pub venues we're likely to play. It's a real squeeze getting everyone in. Gigs are all booked by myself and the more human of the guitarists, we can't trust any of the others to do any of the legwork. 

Secondly, we played our first gig at the beginning of July last year, and in all that time we had only 5 gigs, one of which was the keyboard player's birthday party. Plenty of promises to rebook, but nothing that materialised. We have just 3 gigs in the diary for this year, and the first of those is for the end of June. 

Finally I think the set list leaves a lot to be desired. We always said that we wanted to play popular rock covers, but stay away from the same old songs that every covers band plays. As a consequence of that we're playing stuff from the early 60s right up to the present day. I feel that it's too wide a demographic. I think that as a punter it would be like listening to one of those compilation albums, where you enjoy half the songs, but skip the other half. 

I've had an idea for a project that seems, on paper, like it should work in our area down in Somerset. The new drummer is on board with it, and will bring his guitarist son into it, and I've got a possible vocalist lined up too. 

With that information, would you leave the present band to pursue the new project? I don't have time for both due to work. 

Either way, how do you go about getting gigs? Are promoters worth it for covers bands? Videos? Demo CDs?  

Any and all advice gratefully received. 

You feel the band's too big, but it contains a 

40 minutes ago, Froggy said:

F**kwit guitarist, egotistical keyboard player,

I think there's an easy solution there, particularly when they don't handle the bookings and the band also contains a

40 minutes ago, Froggy said:

intelligent and reliable guitarist, new drummer, will be a new vocalist

Haha I'd get rid of them like a shot if it was up to me, but the other guitarist makes all the final decisions. He doesnt feel confident enough in his own abilities to get rid of f**kwit and won't kick the egotist because he allows us to do stuff like Jump and Hold The Line. 

given that:

1. it's not a regular source of income;

2. you're not enjoying it; and

3.  You have something better lined up

I can't see why you need our advice on what to do next :D

The only thing I'd suggest is trying to force your good guitarist's hand and see which way he jumps.  I've done that before (although in my case the guitarist was the one that we wanted to get rid of) where I quit the band, and then the key bandmates that I'd been talking to about forming a new band with had to pick between auditioning a new bass player for a band with a guitarist they didn't really want, or coming with me and finding a new guitarist.

• Like 1

The problem is Pete, that I only have time to concentrate one one. I work away from home all week, I lose about 60 to 100 quid getting home for Tuesday night rehearsals. 

That said I think the best option is clear. I'm going to quit the band after rehearsal tonight and work on the new project. 

Now I need to learn how to promote a band and get gigs instead of the random short notice bookings I grab at the moment. 

Edited by Froggy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Haha I'd get rid of them like a shot if it was up to me, but the other guitarist makes all the final decisions. He doesnt feel confident enough in his own abilities to get rid of f**kwit and won't kick the egotist because he allows us to do stuff like Jump and Hold The Line. 

You're keeping an idiot in the band because it means you can play 2 particular songs????? I've seen bands play both of those songs perfectly well without a keyboard player btw.

Dump the geetard - they're 10 a penny usually and its only a matter of time before someone goes pop if you keep him, just look for someone more suitable.

Dump the egotist keys bloke - you need to actually fit in the pub in the first place

The other guitarist makes all the decisions - there's nothing like a democracy in a band. And that isnt........He needs to take your feelings into account.

Do the new thing.......

Good bass players are rarer than average guitarists, and if you want to refine the setlist you don't need a keys player.  I'd be tempted to give an ulimatum and be prepared to walk away if the drummer and good guitarist want to keep the band as it is..

8 hours ago, Froggy said:

Time to ask those with more experience than me. 

I've been playing in a band since last summer, but the thing is, I don't think it's going anywhere. 

Firstly, it's a 6 piece. F**kwit guitarist, egotistical keyboard player, intelligent and reliable guitarist, new drummer, will be a new vocalist cos we just sacked one, and myself. I feel it's far too big for the kinds of pub venues we're likely to play. It's a real squeeze getting everyone in. Gigs are all booked by myself and the more human of the guitarists, we can't trust any of the others to do any of the legwork. 

Secondly, we played our first gig at the beginning of July last year, and in all that time we had only 5 gigs, one of which was the keyboard player's birthday party. Plenty of promises to rebook, but nothing that materialised. We have just 3 gigs in the diary for this year, and the first of those is for the end of June. 

Finally I think the set list leaves a lot to be desired. We always said that we wanted to play popular rock covers, but stay away from the same old songs that every covers band plays. As a consequence of that we're playing stuff from the early 60s right up to the present day. I feel that it's too wide a demographic. I think that as a punter it would be like listening to one of those compilation albums, where you enjoy half the songs, but skip the other half. 

I've had an idea for a project that seems, on paper, like it should work in our area down in Somerset. The new drummer is on board with it, and will bring his guitarist son into it, and I've got a possible vocalist lined up too. 

With that information, would you leave the present band to pursue the new project? I don't have time for both due to work. 

Either way, how do you go about getting gigs? Are promoters worth it for covers bands? Videos? Demo CDs?  

Any and all advice gratefully received. 

I left after the description of the first two members. If you start describing them like that and have already been considering the band is going nowhere, and you need a new vocalist...

Sounds like you might as well start fresh. 

One way could be by getting rid off the first two (perhaps by simply starting something with the others... it's done alll the time ;)). Maybe wait until you figure out if the drummer is worth it. A good drummer is worth a lot. So is a singer. Anybody else is more or less replaceable... don't waste time when things don't work out: you'll get stuck and go nowhere.

With regard to the "plenty of promises to rebook" line, I can tell you that never happens unless you strike while the iron is still hot, ie phone, not email if you can help it, with diary in hand the very next morning or even at the gig if you have the diary to hand, and get them to book you in there and then. The amount of times we used to have "you guys were awesome, we'll deffo having you back...I'll call you!".....

• Like 1

The fact that you've described two of your fellow band members as a "F**kwit guitarist" and an "egotistical keyboard player" in an open forum means to me that this isn't the band for you. Either you need to convince the rest of the band to get rid of them or you need to go.

• Like 1

Just my 10p worth...

Before you get too hasty, in my experience it is rare to be in a group of 4+ people where someone doesn't wind you up, especially a band.

I have played with many egotistical and fwit keyboard players and guitarists, but it has always been down to what they give to the band/music as to whether I'm willing to suffer it or not.

In my experience, most really good keyboard players are egotistical fwits but they're really hard to come by and keep in the band because all the other bands want a really good keys player and so inflate their ego further by trying to steal them all the time.

However, as BigRedX and others have wisely said, if you're at the point of slagging them off on a forum, then it may have gone too far.

All FWIW, IMHO etc....  

From an old git...

Being in a band should be a FUN and fulfilling experience. Even when it's a serious proposition, looking for a deal etc.... but..... like ANY relationship, sometimes it's amazing, but often times its f******* hard work, and difficult to manage the different personalities. 

Like relationships you generally get a gut instinct when it isn't right, and when it's time to cut and run. IF you think it's worth fighting for, fight for it.

Bands are hard.... been there, still doing it, still looking for a deal.

Life is short. Enjoy it, enjoy playing. There's no time for anything else.

Russ.

Edited by Rayman

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I think you know what to do. Ditch the current band and follow your heart - form the wurzels tribute act.

We don't need a Wurzels tribute down here, we have the real thing. My dad knew them very well 😂

I pulled the trigger and quit last night. The more sensible guitarist took it quite badly, but I expected that anyway. Got a singer, guitarist and drums lined up for the new project, which is basically 80s pop/rock for pub gigs. Bands down here seem to spread right across the decades, with the 80s being largely missed out other than a few def leppard or bon jovi numbers in each set, and I'm thinking something more focussed might have a good chance at getting going. 

• Like 2

Think i'm with most people. The way you describe some of the existing members means you shouldn't be with this band.

Either force the hand of the guys you want to stay with or start afresh.

Its just not worth all the effort if you aren't enjoying it.

Hope it works out for you no matter what happens

Dave