Why become a member? ×

Kicked Out !!!

funky8884

Unfortunately my Bass Gear has been kicked out of my office and now the only place I have to store the gear is  in my basement,

The basement is in very good condition and no signs of damp,

The question is what is the maximum humidity and minimum temperature that electrical equipment ( amps / pedals ) can be stored at ?

Thanks 

Band gear is left outside in vans and cars all around the world, so cold and heat shouldn't be a problem. Car stereo systems are always in hot and cold extremes and always work. The only thing I'd suggest would be bad is condensation. As long as there is no damp and you keep the gear covered, you should be OK.

If you are concerned about humidity buy a dehumidifier.  Don't under any circumstances try to keep the moisture out by wrapping it in plastic which will simply reduce airflow and trap the moisture just where you don't want it.

And get one of those electric, oil filled radiators in there as well, and leave it on a low/mid setting, just to get some warmth in there. The cold attracts moisture build up when there is a heat source added (i.e. you & your amp when you're practicing), but when you leave the room will cool again, causing condensation (relative dew point etc.). Keep the area warm, and it alleviates the moisture build up "issue". That is assuming that you don't have central heating in the cellar.

We have one of those radiators in the conservatory, it just keeps the area warm enough for the condensation to be less of an issue.

On 30/01/2018 at 11:08, chris_b said:

Band gear is left outside in vans and cars all around the world, so cold and heat shouldn't be a problem. Car stereo systems are always in hot and cold extremes and always work.

Generally true. Heat and cold aren't an issue in the UK, but extremes of heat can cause problems with wooden instruments and electronica gear. For example, it's inadvisable to leave a guitar on the rear parcel shelf of a car on a hot summer's day; or install a rack unit full of tube gear directly in front of a radiator. Common sense obviously prevails in such instances :) 

Cold, however, is certainly not a problem. As mentioned above, it's humidity that's the killer.

Covers for your kit will help. My stuff lives out in the garage and I've never had a problem. My guitarist keeps a hairdryer in the back of his amp and sets it going as soon as we arrive at a gig if there's any sign of condensation, so it has 1/2 hour or so to dry out before he switches it on

I bought a Hygrometer from Amazon to check humidity around the house and conservatory more so out of curiosity.

Would be worthwhile checking the basement first £8.99 could be well spent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H1R0K68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by dmccombe7

All i wanted was the basic readings but i can leave it overnight and get Max and Min during any period but that's a bit overkill. You can see the relation with temperature V humidity.

Don't really know all the science behind it but apparently when its cold outside circa 0 C and house is warm typically 20 C the humidity is circa 45-48% RH

With same house temperature 20 C but outside temperature comes up to 10 C the humidity in the house increased to circa 48-52% but it does seem to go up and down a fair bit.

Maybe an expert on BC can explain the science behind all of this.

Dave